WINE?

Melanie B.
on 9/12/08 1:12 am - Doylestown, PA
Well I'm a newbie and have every intention of enjoying alcohol again someday, but I am too scared ****1ess to try before I'm at least 6 months out.

However, I must say, alcoholism is a mental illness with a physical manifestation. And since I had my guts rearranged and not my brain I dont see how I would go from being a non-alcoholic to an alcoholic.

I mean if transfer addiction is to be believed (and I'm not saying its not true) then I should never, shop, gamble or have sex after WLS either? Right?

So my non-professional newbie advice would be for you Shannon, i'd wait for a few more months to be sure your body is healed and then when the time comes try sips and see how you do.

As for your GENERAL question about wines, here's what I can tell you;

Dry wines do not have much sugar at all--less than one gram per liter. But sometimes it is hard to make sure you are drinking something really dry. While Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet, Merlot and other varietal wines usually have very little sugar...a few, like Riesling, White Zinfandel, Chenin Blanc, have a bit of sugar in them. And because the sugar is natural from the grapes, they don't have to list the ingredients on the package.

The same is also true of most whiskeys and cognacs--they are usually dry, although Bourbon and some others are sweeter...and other distilled spirits have varying levels of sweetness from sugar. Most beers also have very low sugar content as well--although some styles will have a bit.

The best thing to do is to talk this over with your physician, because sometimes the alcohol in drinks can work with your body much like sugar does--alcohol does have calories--and it would be really important to understand this before you started drinking any particular drink based only on its sugar content.

I hope that helps...and that it encourages you to make some safe choices.

Shan08
on 9/12/08 1:29 am - the Skook, PA

Thanks Melanie :)
Good thing I have an appt today huh!  LOL

Oh and Norm, I will sleep much better now knowing you edited your post to be LESS of a jerk. 

Love, 
the potentially NONCOMPLIANT chick
who has done everything "by the book" thus far.
Funny how you never spoke to me before, but
decided this would be the perfect time.

Soapboxes can be dreadfully addictive too.
Watch out for them!
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/08 1:45 am - Eastern, PA
It was the perfect time to talk to you because you were impolite to people who tried to help you. People who have mountains of experience with this journey compared to you. People who were raising flags about your well-being that you chose to brush aside and disregard with an emoticon. And most importantly to me, people that are my freinds.

And congratulations on your 31 WHOLE DAYS "by the book"

You obviously deserve that drink!
Shan08
on 9/12/08 2:00 am - the Skook, PA
Norm, wth is YOUR problem?  1st up, I admitted I was being snappy to someONE and I apologized to that person and that conversation was over.  YOU CAME ALONG and decided to put your nose into it after the fact.  Yes, so it was your friend... you can learn somethings from her... tact, common courtesy,  and effective communication skills, for example.  I've seen no one here that needs to you to swoop and defend them.  For they too can speak for themselves. 

2nd... who said I was having a drink??, AND who said I would have a drink because I felt entitled to it because of my compliance?  LOL  Your mind sure works in mysterious ways.  Nothing like ASKING QUESTIONS to make sure you UNDERSTAND the situation! 

I mentioned my compliance only because you chose to jump on me when you ASSUMED I would be non-compliant to the book of Norm.... and NOT just to be friendly or encouraging at other times.  GET IT?

Oh and yes,... the experience factor... make that MOUNTAINS of experience.
I'm surprised you didn't try to cut yourself open and do your own surgery!

Again... get off your high horse.  Your experience may not be MY experience.
And stop trying to speak for other people... speak for yourself.

Block me/ignore me or something... or in the very least, kindly do not speak to me again.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/08 3:34 am, edited 9/12/08 3:54 am - Eastern, PA
DELETED.

I'm losing sight of my original point and arguing for its own sake.

And nobody wants to read that.
J. M.
on 9/12/08 7:41 am
O. M. G.

This thread gave me a good laugh. I'm sorry, but some things that were said on here where straight up awesome.

Talking about alcohol on this site is like talking about terrorism in a mosque.

~ Jen   

CherylT
on 9/12/08 1:45 am - Perkasie, PA
Did somebody mention sex?

<------Sorry, I haven't had sex in almost five years.

GD_007
on 9/12/08 2:39 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
NO - but we should
Melanie B.
on 9/12/08 1:52 am - Doylestown, PA
wow.

see ya.

jojobear98
on 9/12/08 3:58 am - Gettysburg, PA
I am going to open my big mouth and just say that this is nuts. This is exactly why I don't post on the main forum or RNY forum. But this is our local forum. A friendly and safe place.

A simple question gets turned into something way off topic. The original question was simple, basic and somehow got turned into "who knows what". This forum is for support, help, questions and sharing.

I know it's the internet, and freedom of speech..........blah,blah. But geesh, asking an opinion on a nice wine to sip turns into this?

Shan08, I don't know you, but hope you weed out the suggestions in the post that answer your question, and let the rest go. Have a great weekend.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views