WINE?

Pam Hart
on 9/11/08 11:22 am - Easton, PA
What kind of wine is not a great question for me to answer cause I didn't like wine before surgery and don't like it now, either.  I was more of a "hard" alcohol kind of gal when I drank (like 4 times a year)

Since surgery I have had vodka with crystal lite and seemed to do ok with that while "milking" it over a few hours

I had one martini which I drank pretty quickly - and got super super sick off of it

I had champagne (I know...carbonation...bad) and over indulged in that and got really drunk really quick and had the worst hang over in my life.

I also had a malibu bay breeze (malibu, cranberry, orange juice) and did ok with that - never got buzzed - but again had a major hang over the next day.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 9/11/08 11:25 am - Perry, MI
Hi Shannon,
As a mental health professional, I don't believe I was lecturing, but forgive me if I was.  I was speaking from my own experience, as a recovering alcoholic who had relapsed in December and had a hard time of it for five months.  If I can spare anyone the Hell of alcoholism I have experienced in my relapse, I will gladly take being accused of lecturing.  Alcohol is processed differently in the bypass patients and the reactions to it vary.  I  read almost weekly in the Mental Health Forum a newcomer who had no clue that they could develop alcoholic drinking behaviors, and they are at a loss what to do about it because they can't stop drinking now. 

Maybe it is the Mother in me, or maybe it is the Social Worker in me, but I care too much about you, and everyone else on the PA Forum, to not share my concern when I am asked what I think about drinking after surgery. 

Like we say in AA, "Take what you like, and leave the rest."

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

J. M.
on 9/11/08 11:54 am
<----- 2 cents...no lecture...

I got an ucler from socially drinking...wine...was a former beer girl....sure do miss the drink

~ Jen   

Liz R.
on 9/11/08 8:27 pm - Easton, PA
my Dr too reccomended no alcohol for the first 6 months (VERY dehydrating) but I went on vacation around 5-1/2 months out and had a few drinks, I would have the first one at home - it is going to hit you hard and fast and might make you dump. I had a white sangria that comes in a box made by Almaden. I have also had white zin. and was OK with that too. Vodka is a bit too potent for me these days but I have had small amounts with juice or crystal light.

I did have 1 sip of beer last Christmas and wished that I was dead for about 2 hours - almost cancelled my party it was that bad. No bubbles for this girl!

Liz
jojobear98
on 9/11/08 10:49 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I am going to be politically incorrect here. Because I see nothing wrong with drinking in moderation or socially. (I don't right now because I am preggo) But have drank a drink a few times a week for probably the last 3 years. I am 4 years out.

Wine......may cause dumping. I think the sugar content can be high in some of those. When I choose to have a drink, I choose something that can be mixed with something else. That way you are in control of the sugars and carbonation.

I tend to have a drink at home. (can't be too safe these days). I usually have flat, warm diet coke at home at all times. I add a little of my favorite liquor to it and add ice. It's harder to control drinks when you are out because so many of the juices have a ton of sugar, and soda out is carbonated.

I will probably get attacked for my stance on this subject. But I enjoy(ed) to have a drink socially and don't abuse alcohol, so see nothing wrong with it. But that is only my OPINION. I am not a physician, NUT, or expert by any means. Just an normal everyday person.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/08 10:53 pm - Eastern, PA
There's a LOOOONG line of people who had a "few sips" post-WLS and fell into severe, hardcore alcoholism. It merits mentioning.

You are being snappy. With people who are trying to help you, no less.

If you don't want people to give you advice, don't ask questions on a public forum.

That said, I hope you have fun going out. Being the non-drinking buddy is/was a BIG challenge for a lot of people, including me.

DISCLOSURE: I'm not a non-drinker, I'm kind of a beer guy myself.
Shan08
on 9/12/08 12:09 am - the Skook, PA
Yes, and I apologized for that yesterday.  Don't see another one coming anytime soon.

And again, I didn't ask for your advice on drinking... I asked WHAT to drink IF I CHOOSE to drink at some point.  Geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz.  Lighten up.
Shan08
on 9/12/08 12:38 am - the Skook, PA

I just don't see much difference in the way some people have responded to my simple inquiry and the way people reacted (and react) to me about getting WLS surgery in the 1st place. 

This is kind of hard to explain.  Before my surgery, I heard from all of these people who either who have had a bad experience or know someone... who knows someone...   (Just heard from a co-worker today who's friend is just doing terribly...lucky me)

They offer, "Are you SURE it's what you want to do?"  "OMG you should really rethink it, bad things can happen!", etc.  And now, after a simple question about sipping alcohol post-op, people are reacting in much the same way.  By now, we should all know that with this surgery comes nothing cookie-cutter... everyone is different and finds successes and failures by many different means.

Others have lived and learned... others will do the same.
People WILL ask for your advice/wisdom (I have been one of them, and will no doubt be again), but please take the time to recognize when someone is simply asking a general question. 

I see that many are passionate about alcholism, as I am too... trust me, growing up with alcholic parents (thus giving me a dandy addictive personality and placing me at risk for the same disease), and losing a little brother to a drunk driver gives me just as much right to passion as anyone on here.  So just as you offer your wisdom based on experience, I'd appreciate you trusting my own wisdom as well (re: turning into a a raging alcoholic). 

You want to be "supportive"... but if someone does not come to you for advice, and you dump it on them anyway, how many more times will that person approach you?... perhaps when they actually need to?

I hope SOMEONE out there can understand my reactions here.

And I'm also aware I may be being a bit naieve (sp?)... as I've yet to dump on anything.  So maybe, if I choose to taste wine, and it makes me dump, I'll learn a lesson won't I?

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/08 12:49 am, edited 9/12/08 1:02 am - Eastern, PA
If someone came here and asked what the best cookie to "nibble on" at one month post op was, do you think people would say "Oh try the sugar free oreo" or do you think they would say "Oh, maybe you shouldn't have a cookie yet." ?

You can't be surprised when people advise you against non-compliant behavior.

EDITED to be less of a jerk. We just want this to work for you.

Patricia R.
on 9/12/08 7:14 am - Perry, MI
Shannon,
I am sorry you have had many people give you negative feedback about your WLS.  That sucks when people in your life cannot be supportive of your attempts to make your life better. 

As for feedback on the boards, you asked a question about a hot topic, and got various answers based on experience and education.  I would think that if you are a mental health professional, your response would have been more diplomatic and less hostile to people who care enough to reach out and offer concern. 

I have no opinion on people who know the facts drinking anyway.  I have a son who did three rehabs for heroin addiction who now drinks.  He has been told by every mental health professional in every rehab not to drink, but he does not care.  He has to find his own way. 

All I was doing was sharing what I have learned from people who have gone before you in this journey.  I don't care if you choose to ignore what I shared with you.  That is your right.  I do care if my concern is thrown back at me with hostility. 

Good luck with whatever you choose to do this weekend.  Be safe.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views