WINE?

Shan08
on 9/11/08 9:06 am - the Skook, PA
So what kind of wine is okay to sip? 

I'm so clueless when it comes to wine (always been)... especially when combined with the changes WLS brings.  Definitely nothing carbonated (yuck).

Thanks in advance,
Shannon
(a former diehard beer gal)

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Nicole0216
on 9/11/08 9:20 am - Lancaster, PA
hey there. My stance on alcohol is pretty strong. I think it can be a big mistake. But as ealy out as you are, it is a no no. My surgeon said no alcohol at least for the first 6 mos.  It is up to you to decide, but most people i know who drink post surgery cant do wine because it causes them to dump.
Patricia R.
on 9/11/08 9:23 am - Perry, MI
I don't know the specific guidelines for waiting to drink after surgery, but I can tell you that there are plenty of people on the mental health forum who develop alcoholic drinking behaviors after RNY.  It is called Addiction Transfer. 

Be careful if and when you choose to drink.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

CherylT
on 9/11/08 10:16 am - Perkasie, PA

Pick a dry wine if you do have one, but wait another five months or so.

Shan08
on 9/11/08 10:20 am, edited 9/11/08 10:21 am - the Skook, PA

Thanks for all the great answers.  And yes, as a mental health professional myself, I'm aware.  But when someone wants to take SIPS of wine, I wouldn't break out the lecture.  But thanks anyway.  Forget I asked.  It's a good thing I have an appt tomorrow... I can speak to my Drs. about it.

Nicole0216
on 9/11/08 10:24 am - Lancaster, PA
I hope you dont think we are lecturing you. You came here and asked us what we thought and we told you. Everyone here has always been very honest with the information and advice we give. But in the end it is up to you to decide what is best for you and what you want to do. No one here is perfect by far. I think asking your Dr, about is the perfect solution, as they know you and know your body.

Shan08
on 9/11/08 10:36 am - the Skook, PA

I understand that, and I thank you for the concern.

But actually, just for clarification, I didn't ask anyone what they thought about consumption... I asked what kind of wine would be best.  ;o)

I guess it's just that I havent been out 'on the town' in so long... even long before the surgery.  My friend is coming home for the weekend from NYC and wants to go out.  But by the sounds of it (from here and in reading research), I may have to get used to the non-sippin' friend ...lol.

Sorry if I seemed snappy.  It's just been such a major period of adjustment.  And i'm relieved to finallyyy be feeling half-human again.

Nicole0216
on 9/11/08 10:41 am - Lancaster, PA
I understand and you are right you did not ask if you should drink just what. 

I know that alot of post WLS people go for vodka mixed with crystal light because of the lack of carb and high sugar content.  I do agree with you about asking your Doctor.

Shan08
on 9/11/08 10:46 am - the Skook, PA
Thanks hon (seriously, just for even hearing me out). 
I'm still quite nervous about trying anything tho!! 
But I know I could have a good time without it.
shoutjoy
on 9/12/08 12:36 am - Culpeper, VA
Another thing to think about is the affect of alcohol on the liver, pancreas and gallbladder.  I know.  I am facing gallbladder surgery and my love of a glass of wine doesn't help.  I was big into wine tastings with a good friend of mine, visiting my neighborhood wine shops, ect. when I lived in VA and NC. Out here in the boonies, most people drink beer and are rather uninformed in the wine area so that  is good for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views