Good News-Fish is still good for you

sbrunell
on 9/11/08 2:13 am - Bensalem, PA

The seafood industry has a major opportunity to sell more seafood to pregnant women. A new Harvard study, involving 25,446 children born to mothers who had the highest consumption of seafood from 1997-2002, showed babie****ting milestones faster. The researchers said that when pregnant women ate seafood, their babies learned to crawl, walk and talk earlier. They also said that the issue of toxic exposures was much less significant. We have two articles. In short, the science is saying that the best outcomes in terms of intellectual and motor development come precisely from eating seafood -- these are the same outcomes that mercury campaigners say are at risk from eating seafood.

The direct ability to show that eating seafood leads to better baby outcomes is a powerful tool to counteract the mercury hysteria that has been scaring women to such an extent that in the U.S. most pregnant women eat almost no seafood. Further, by creating public awareness that seafood is needed by pregnant women also helps others - children and non-pregnant women, to also feel more comfortable eating seafood.

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

jojobear98
on 9/11/08 2:29 am - Gettysburg, PA
Hmmm, with my first 2 sons, I CRAVED seafood constantly and ate it constantly. But it was ok to eat it then. (That was 8 and 10 years ago). With my daughter (18 months) I hardly ate any cuase they scared the living daylights out of me with articles, new stories and stuff about it all. So now I am Preggo again, and don't know if it's ok or not! LOL

My boys are just fine. LOL. Hey, my mom ate Tuna almost everyday when she was pregnant with me. It was her craving! they do this too much with certain foods. I understand serious issues, but so many times little "studies" end up scaring people into avoiding a food that wouldn't really be necessary.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

sbrunell
on 9/11/08 2:55 am - Bensalem, PA
A lot of these type stories and pseudo science is run by organizations like Greenpeace.
Some are pretty militant. There is one group that cut the brakes on a meat distribution company to stop it from makes their route.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
Dr. Pupkova

LABELSANDLOVE
on 9/11/08 4:37 am - EXPORT, PA
Ugh, don't get me started on Greenpeace.

Are eggs and red meat good or deadly for us right now? It is hard to keep track lol
Melanie B.
on 9/11/08 5:27 am - Doylestown, PA
my BFF is a vegitarian who only eats fish. Her daughter just turned 2 in August and is a genius (serioulsy) and she credits it to all the fish she ate.

however I do believe certain fish that is high in mercury is to be avoided, and raw fish as in sushi. However fish is an excellent source of Fatty Acid Omega 3 which is excellent for fetal brain development.

thankfully I am DONE ever having kids, so I'm just stuck with my totally perfect average children for now.

sbrunell
on 9/11/08 6:35 am - Bensalem, PA
From the Journal of American Medical Association:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/296/15/1885

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/12/2805

http://www.aboutseafood.com/health-nutrition/scientific-studies

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
Dr. Pupkova

jojobear98
on 9/11/08 6:48 am - Gettysburg, PA
Hmmm.......I am having Parm-crusted tilapia for dinner tonight.  YUMMMMMM

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Patricia R.
on 9/11/08 9:29 am - Perry, MI
I had my kids in the 70s and 80s and do not remember the scares that were out in recent years.  I just ate my normal (albeit sugar filled) diet back then.  I have two geniuses and a high normal child (albeit adult now).  Not sure if the geniuses are because of fish or genetics, as their father was a genius and I ain't so dumb either.  LOL

It is hard to keep up with what is safe and what is unsafe anymore. 

My daughter gives my granddaughter organic milk because of the growth hormones in regular milk. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views