Anyone out there have recent gall bladder issues?

Liz R.
on 9/9/08 12:55 am - Easton, PA
I see the surgeon tomorow and am well suffering through it until then. LAst night I was up after about 2am with terrible pains, I tried getting up and walking didn't help though. I did take the pain meds and zonked from them about 3 - then up at 4:30 to get ready for work. The pain radiates around to my shoulder blade/ back area but from everything that I am reading that sounds pretty normal.

My main question is - is this removal something that they are going to want to do pretty quickly or is it OK to wait a few weeks? I know WHY would I want to wait? LOL but I have a few major things coming up and was hoping to wait until after them (a wedding, my mom's 2nd surgery etc).

Thanks for listening to me rant!

Liz
Pam Hart
on 9/9/08 1:34 am - Easton, PA
Liz,

Personally I have not had these issues.  I can tell you what is "normal practice" at my hospital.  It can actually vary from patient to patient.  If the gallbladder is diseased, they want to take it out immediately to prevent it from "decaying" for lack of a better term and causing systemic infection.  if however, it is a gallstone issue, they sometimes wait for up to 3 mos after an attack so that it is not as inflamed and what not.

I would go over your options with your surgeon, and see what they feel is best for you and your particular situation.

The only thing we can normally suggest is a low fat diet - but you are already on that.

Perhaps sticking with liquids will help?  I'm not sure as I know you said your ejection fraction was so minimal - the gallbladder might be squeezing regardless of what you put into your system.

What pain meds are you on?  I'm thinking that perhaps a narcotic pain med may be your only relief at least at night time and you probably should take it as long as you need it.  Unfortunately, though, many of those you probably wouldn't want to take during the day as you would be zonked and dizzy from them.

Here's hoping for a good appointment tomorrow!

Pam

PS:  Karen had her gallbladder out years ago but as you know has suffered with gallbladder duct issues of late.  You may want to PM her to see if she has any inside info.
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 9/9/08 1:36 am - Boothwyn, PA
Liz, you've been suffering with this for so long I wouldn't delay it any longer. Did they say if they can do it lapriscopically? If so you should be able to go to the wedding and and be there for your mom's surgery. I had mine out at the ripe old age of 19 (many, many years ago) and it was done with the big old incision, so I was out of commission for a while, but if they can do it the easy way it won't be any worse than your RNY recovery.

The pain will continue to get worse as well - the doctors said I was born with a diseased gall bladder - it didn't erupt until I started going thru puberty and then it would hit sporadically - dr's all said it was growing pains, but as I entered my late teens I was having attacks all the time - several a week - and then they finally ran the upper GI tests and determined what it was.

I understand why you'd want to wait, but I wouldn't put it off too much longer.

Wish you all the best either way you decide...Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/08 1:46 am - Horsham, PA
I just had my gallbladder removed on 8/5/08 - a little over one year post surgery, done laproscopic not to big a deal. I did feel pretty crappy for 2 weeks and  needed to rest often.
 my non-medical opinion is see what the test shows and what the doctor suggests and go from there.
Liz R.
on 9/9/08 2:07 am - Easton, PA
Thanks everyone! I OF COURSE will do whatever the surgeon reccomends! I was just curious. I have a request in to work to see how many vacation/sick days I have left and I will take them all for this - probably out of work for a week and then back on light duty. When I talked to Dr Brader he said that it should be able to be done laproscopically.

I don't have gall stones, it is a "malfunctioning" gall bladder. It is squeezing from both "ends" instead of just the correct one - Dr Brader described it as a bike horn, it should just squeeze from the rubber bulb end but mine squeezes from both ends randomly, also it is only squeezing less them 1/3 the amount that it should.

I have done a lot of research (as I always do when I can before something major!) and I have just about all of the symptoms, I had a slight jaundice over the weekend which I seemed to have held off with plenty of extra fluids, light colored stool, diarreah, nausea, vomiting, slight fever that comes and goes, chills, shakes, sweats - all those fun things! lol

I am sure that this will be far easier to recover from then my RNY since it is slightly less major.

Thanks everyone and I will keep you all posted!

Liz
Pam Hart
on 9/9/08 11:18 am - Easton, PA
Please mention the slight jaundice to the surgeon.....sounds more and more like you might have to have it taken out sooner rather than later!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 9/9/08 8:23 pm - Easton, PA
Yes Miss Nurse

luckily my MOm received good news at the Dr yesterday and they are looking to schedule her surgery the 2nd week in October - I am going to tell my Dr that I am good to go for the week of the 22nd! Of course if he feels i need to go right away I will do that too - but ideally I would like the week of the 22nd.

I'll let you all know how I make out later today!

Liz
ldillabough
on 9/9/08 2:21 am - Burlington, NJ
Liz,

I had my gall bladder out three years ago before my LAP RNY.  I felt like a new person after they took it out.  I was back to work in two weeks and could have gone back after one.  My gall bladder became completely blocked and I started having fever and vomiting.  Don't wait to long.  Hope everthing works out and you can take care of it soon.  All the best!

Lisa
shoutjoy
on 9/9/08 2:30 am - Culpeper, VA
I know it is common.  Many surgeons do that along with wls as a precaution.  I see a surgeon on the 18th.  I was in the hospital four days last week.  I lasted eight years without any issues.  Not bad

Paula
JoAnn C.
on 9/9/08 4:41 am - PA
Hello

I had one severe  attack.  I went to the emergency room on the way home from work.  The surgeon did an ultra sound and said I needed my gall bladder removed.  They wanted to schedule it immediately.  I asked for a 2nd opinion. I got seen by a Dr the very next day and needless to say was admitted.  A stone was stuck in the duct.  I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital.  When mine was done they didn't do laporoscopy.  I have the BIG incision.
My friend has had several attacks and still has not had surgery.

I guess it depends on your DR. 

JoAnn

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views