well i sure am learning lots thru the posts today

deebatt
on 9/8/08 7:51 am, edited 9/8/08 7:52 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
lets see.... Potty talk (i figured there would be bowel changes), throwing up (never knew that would be celebrated) and things getting stuck (wondering if will i have to jump up and down to unstuck things?)  oh and lets not  forget the gas (you mean it gets WORSE after surgery?  ut oh i'd better warn my co workers)

sure am glad i joined this group...always great to have someone to tell it like it is

,...soooo, what else do i have to look forward to? 

~Denise
~ Denise 

joldaker
on 9/8/08 8:08 am - West Bradford, PA
There are so many more things to look forward to. Here are a few of my favorites.....

I can no longer eat Bagels, but I can fit behind the wheel of my minivan
I can no longer eat breakfast cereal, but I can walk up and down the stairs without praying my knees will give out
I can no longer eat regular ice cream, but I also dont have cholosterol so high it will kill me
I can no longer drink soda, but I can fit in a roller coaster seat belt
I can no longer eat candy, but my daugthers can reach their little arms all the way around me for the first time in thier lives.

Believe me all the changes you will feel, wether great or painful, are totally worth it.

This is different for every person, I dont get bad gas but I still cant eat cheese without great pain in the rest room. I have dumped, but I know what caused it and will never eat that stuff again. And to tell you the truth I would rather have to deal with the changes that this surgery brought into my life that to deal with going on insulin shots for the diabetes that was threatening my life.

My experience has also opened the eyes of 3 of my sisters and my mother. They are all getting healthier and losing weight.

Weigh your choices and make the decision that fits best in your life.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
deebatt
on 9/8/08 8:14 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
THanks Jen

I have made my choice....I'm going thru with this process ..its long overdue!!!  Actually I know mostly about what you posted and some of the topics ...i have researched this a long time and have walked thru the steps with my best friend who had RNY in 2002,  Its nice to actually interact and read this stuff first hand for myself now!!!  I am sooooo looking forward to this new beginning!
~ Denise 

jackie j
on 9/8/08 8:17 am - Glenmoore, PA
You have a 100lb weight loss to look forward to and it is SOOOOO sweet!!!    Energy and new clothes and adventures and sports that don't leave you breathless or embarrassed!    Don't let any posts discourage or dissuade you.    I don't think any of us on this board would change our decisions for a second, I know I wouldn't.   I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure, GERD, reflux, edema or lack of monthly periods anymore.    I do have struggles sometimes and I post them as a way to vent and try to kick myself in the ass and let folks know this is no "cake" walk (pun intended).   I KNOW what I'm doing wrong; I KNOW when I'm not following my program.   I don't always understand why I don't dump like other folks and it frustrates me.  I KNOW I'm human.    This is not easy, but it is worth it.   
As for the potty particulars, when you get there....we've got answers  .   Stay tuned.  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Pam Hart
on 9/8/08 12:00 pm, edited 9/8/08 12:01 pm - Easton, PA
Gas DOES get worse after surgery.  Well, to be perfectly honest, my gas is getting really really bad now after about 10 mos.  I am seriously considering the use of Devrom which people have talked about at the support group meetings and on this board...makes your gas not stink - how cool is that??

Other things to look forward too....have an egg for breakfast on wednesday and it's great.  Make that same meal the very next day and it's as if you have asked your pouch to digest a tire off a mack truck...."prissy pouch" is my name for that....some days you tolerate things some days you don't.

Buying clothes on Tuesday cause you have somewhere to go on Saturday....and Saturday they are already to big (I know a horrible problem to have, right?  It gets old sometimes though!)

Fighting your way in society for all those on lookers who don't bother asking you what you have to do to maintain your loss and all the food rules you have to follow and telling you "well, you took the easy way out"  BS to them!

That's it off the top of my head, but I know for sure there are LOTS more!

As you can tell - every topic is wide open here....which is how we learn!

Pam

EDITED:  I should add that this is by far the best decision I have made in my entire life....didn't want this post to sound all negative it was meant as other "oooh didn't think of THAT one"  I walk all day and feel great, I work at night and even after a bad night at work have energy left to spare....I am able to exercise....and fit in spots I had never fit in before...my blood pressure, diabetic, sleep apnea, joint pain problems are all gone....it's a grand journey!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
cleos_mom
on 9/8/08 8:13 pm - phila., PA
very well said Pam.
one thing to ad. the gas is horrrible at 10 months it would wake my husband out of a sound sleep.  and even make the dogs get up & run from  under the covers talk about bad. but that will last about a month and then it can get more normal and now in my house everyone can get a good nights sllep.
Like everyone says with all the things we can't have, we can do other more important things. I wish I did this sooner. Other then having my dauhgter and wonderful husband this WLS is the best thing that has happened to me in my life.
Susan
dit657
on 9/8/08 10:00 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Foamies, dumping, gas...all part of the process - but I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm down almost 140 lbs and feel like a new person - 140 lbs actually is a 'normal' size person, so imagine carrying that around on your back for several years. I have at least another 60 to go and am looking forward to it.

Yep - I dump - on sugars, big time. Both times were 'accidental' on things that I shouldn't have dumped on - it wasn't like I ate a sundae or chocolate cake!! But it happened and it passes quickly even tho you feel like dying for a short time. Foamies suck - no doubt about it - but again, they pass and after 3 months they're very few and far between. You just have to find your own comfort zones with food.

Gas? Yup, that, too - mine's not terrible but it is there - I burp more than anything so usually start out a meal with 'Excuse me' and let it go! Its gotta come out and I figure better that way than others - LOL!!

What do you have to look foward to? Well, I'm off all my asthma medicine, cholesterol meds, and down to a very minute amount of blood pressure med (I may always have to be on that - family history). I can ride my recumbant bike for 7+ miles at one time, I can walk without huffing and puffing. I don't sweat at every turn anymore, which is wonderful! I actually get COLD now. I fit into airline seats without seatbelt extenders (what a wonderful feeling) - I have more confidence - I WANT to get out and do more and be active. I enjoy shopping for clothes again - right now my favorite stores are TJ Maxx and Marshall's - I refuse to pay full price for clothes I'm only going to wear once season then be out of.

So many wonderful things will happen for you that it'll make the few not-so-wonderful things seem minor and pale in comparison. Its a wonderful, strange journey, but one I would do over and over again...

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Donna_in_PA
on 9/9/08 11:17 am - Lansdale, PA

This has been a true learning experience.  If I have learned one thing... it is to FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF YOUR NUTRITIONIST.

Take your protein, swallow the vitamins, try to get into an exercise routine and pay attention to what you put in your mouth.

You'll only have success.  You'll never look back.  It's only been 6 months for me (and 88 lbs down)  and I swear this has been the best thing I've ever done for myself personally.

Every day I wake up happy.  Small things matter, like being able to wrap a towel around me after a shower, and having both ends meet!  Bending over to pick something up and getting up again without a struggle.   Going past the plus sizes in a department store.  Feeling hip bones again when laying down.  Not blowing up like a balloon in the summer heat.  Sitting on the train every morning and not having to squeeze into a seat.  I could go on and on...

Donna

deebatt
on 9/10/08 7:07 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
a huge THANKX to you all for making my step into this a hell of a lot easier! 

One question about these body function thingies.....what in tarnation are "Foamies"...that is one i havent heard of yet
~ Denise 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views