3 or 5 day pouch test

sbrunell
on 9/8/08 3:10 am - Bensalem, PA
I am wondering why y'all do it....but I am thinking i ought to.

What are the rules...and is it better to do 3 or 5 days?

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Nicole0216
on 9/8/08 3:28 am - Lancaster, PA
steve why do you feel you need to do this? You are so newly out and in your honeymoon phase.. ?

We older people do it sometimes to get back on track but I found the results to be minimal really when it comes to actual weight loss.
sbrunell
on 9/8/08 3:43 am - Bensalem, PA
I did an all liquid day after I hit a stall....and for whatever reason...it kicked things into gear. I am sure I just brought the calorie level way down, and I didn't snack at all.....

but thought it might help....

I am really looking to get my century card!  I have rounded 77 lbs so far....I can see that finish line, but want to speed up there.

My wife lost over 40 lbs in 2 months...but has only lost 5 lbs in the last month.....
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

jdruski
on 9/8/08 3:44 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Steve,

It helps to get you back in touch with your pouch and the feeling had during the early out phase.  Anyone can do it even if you are early out but as Nicole said you are still in your honeymoon period and might not need it. 

Take a look at the test and see where you fit in.  I have successful done it twice.  It does help me put the carb monster in check. 

Good luck if you try it.

Jeanne
Liz R.
on 9/8/08 4:13 am - Easton, PA
Steve like everyone has said it is really directed to people 1 year + out. But certainly if you want to do a day of liquids now and again to get things moving there isn't anything wrong with that. I hit my first stall about 3 months out, everyone hits them at different times and looses weight differently. I hit 100 lost just over a year out (I was 327 the day of my PAT's and am down to 203 as of this morning) Also check your measurements, you might be loosing inches but not weight - it is very strange how this works.

If you google "5 day pouch test" the rules will come up - it is basically 2 days of liquids, day 3 purees protein, day 4 soft protein (ground meats, fish etc) day 5 is "normal" food.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

Liz
jackie j
on 9/8/08 7:05 am - Glenmoore, PA
Steve, you shouldn't need to do this so soon out.   It is totally normal to have slow downs in your weight loss.  It is your body adjusting to what  is "trauma" essentially.     I'll tell you why I need the 5dpt and why others should use it.....today I ate two double chocolate cookies, some M&Ms, 2 cups regular coffee, 1 bagel w/cream cheese AND butter.     Do you see much protein in there?  It started out a bad day at work and has gone downhill from there and my mind automatically turns to carbs for comfort.    Before you slay me, I was (am) considered a success.   I lost 105lbs by my 6 mos. appt. and continued to -126lbs by the 14th mo.   I struggled from month 10-14 when the cravings started coming back.  It continued for the last year w/ lots of emotional eating when my husband lost his job, I did fertility drugs and had to bury three members of my family.    My carbs are fully back in my life and I fight them everyday.   Somedays it works, somedays it doesn't but I'm so much better off than I was....I just have to keep up the good fight and win the eventual war and I'm learning perserverence long the way.    The 5dpt is meant for people like me...to get a handle on carbs.   The program you are on should be sufficient for your first year.   Don't F*&K with it until you have to.    I HATE Bushisms but "Stay the Course" might be the only smart thing the man ever uttered (when applied to WLS).  IMHO.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/08 12:35 pm
Steve..you are still early out you are just at a stall and they will happen. TO help break it are you eating the same things everyday or mixing them up? Did you try to up protien and fluids they help alot breaking a stall. Also I have not have the scalle move in two weeks but clothes are loose on me so you maybe losing inches...Hang in there buddy!
Mary Benford
on 9/8/08 9:02 pm - Emmaus, PA
Steve,

You should give Dr. Pupkova a call about this.   I'm going to bet that she'll steer you clear away from doing this so early out.   It's completely normal to hit a stall just about where you are.   And here goes...   why on earth do you feel you're snacking?   On a typical day what do you eat???   Post that here and we'll be able to give you some reccomendations.   I wouldn't suggest doing the 5dpt seeing as you're only 4 months out...  

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views