2 weks post op and I and am unableto eat

sasgls
on 9/7/08 11:16 pm - PA
I need help.  I am still on liquids and I will be able to eat egg beaters starting tomorrow.  I am unable to eat.  I don;t feel hungry and I can't take anymore of the protein shakes.  What can I do to get my protein into me.  I've lost 25 pounds since surgery which I am very happy about but I need to eat.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pam Hart
on 9/7/08 11:22 pm - Easton, PA
At two weeks out you are not going to feel hungry.  Heck, at 2 mos out you probably wont' feel hungry - they cut a lot of nerves during surgery and it takes some time for them to start working again.

Protein shakes - well - I had to say it - but you have to view them as "medicine" and understand your body needs it.  You might not be hitting your full protein goal out this early - but you certainly have to try.  Make sure you try different kinds/flavors/brands of protein powder to find something you can tolerate.  Profect makes a 3 ounce tube of a clear liquid that has 25gm of protein, and new whey I believe has a tube 3 ounces with 42 gm of protein in it.

Just as a caution - many find that they can't handle eggs or egg beaters after surgery at least for some time.  I personally didn't have to much of aproblem with them.  Remember to eat very very slowly and really chew.  You are still healing and need to protect that pouch of yours.

I'm not sure what your doctor has you on with the egg beaters or what other foods are allowed.  I would assume that you can have yogurt.  You may want to check out greek yogurt (sold under sames such as "Fage" "Oikos" and a few others)  Plain it tastes like sour cream (yuck!  Who wants to eat 6 ounces of sour cream??) but you can flavor it with splenda and sf jam or sf syrups to make your own flavors.  Most greek yogurts have between 10-20gm in a single serving. 

Good luck and hang in there, it will get a little easier with time.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 9/8/08 12:37 am - Boothwyn, PA
Pam's right - there's nothing wrong with you - its going to be a long time before you feel real hunger again, but getting as much nourishment into your system now will help you heal. Now is a great time to put yourself on a schedule - make it a point to have something every 2 1/2 hours to get in 5-6 small meals a day. Its a good schedule to be on and once its a habit its the best way for us to eat - 5-6 small meals a day. Keeps you satisfied and from over-eating and will keep your weight loss fairly steady. 

Sugar-free fruit pops always went down well for me when nothing else seemed tempting (of course now I can't stand them - LOL!). And make sure you're getting enough fluids in - the first few weeks are the toughest, but  you can get thru this.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 9/8/08 1:20 am - Easton, PA
Don't forget that things like pureed strained soups are full liquids too. As are chicken and beef broths - these are also good sources of protein. I know I never wanted to see another protein shake again and now i actually crave them once in a while.

Be careful with the eggs - make sure that they aren't dry. I didn't tolerate eggs well at all and still have trouble with them occasionaly (I am what 21 months out - egads where has time gone! lol)

Keep your chin up - everything that is happening is totally normal!

Liz
joldaker
on 9/8/08 2:12 am - West Bradford, PA
I am 9 months out and still dont feel hunger. For me it is a blessing.

You have to start small, maybe yogurt. I know that the protein shakes can get old fast but keep drinking them while you get the food back into your diet. I also wanted to share that the first time I ate eggs I got sick. Take it easy and after 2 or 3 small bites pause for a few to make sure it agrees with you.

I was on liquids for 3 weeks I think then went to stuff like yogurt and soups then to puree. Check with your surgeon before taking that step.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
sasgls
on 9/8/08 2:24 am - PA
Thanks for your suggestions.  I will try all of them.  I want to make sure I do everything right and not fail at this.  Do you have any other suggestions as for the liquids?  The only things I was instructed to eat right now is: Broth, tomato soup, SF Pudding, SF popsicle, nonfat yogurt, protein shakes, SF Jello, Crystal light and water.  Thanks for all your input
Cutty
on 9/8/08 2:35 am
I was exactly the same way. I could drink the Unjury Chicken broth with no problem but the shakes literally gagged me! The first 2 weeks my diet was sugar free ice cream, water, Gatorade G2, water, and Unjury chicken broth. I am in week 4 now and have lost 35 pounds. I tried an egg the other day and felt like I swallowed a brick. I was miserable all day and didn't eat anything until several hours later, so be careful with the egg.

www.unjury.com

is the website where I ordered the broth. It's tastey and has 21g of protein per 8 oz.

Hang in there, it does get better!
Cutty
Liz R.
on 9/8/08 5:49 am - Easton, PA
tomato soup was one of the things I was told to avoid - very high in sugars - just read the labels - it might make u dump. You can take just about any soup (jus****ch the fat and sugars) and put them in the blender - thin out with a bit of broth if needed and just strain it though a wire strainer.

You can probably have jello, pudding, ice pops, broth, soups. It's almost over and you will be back on normal foods soon! Just be careful your pouch is healing and eating anything you shouldn't can hurt it and your progress.

HAng in there - it does get better!

Liz
Shan08
on 9/8/08 6:07 am - the Skook, PA

Egg beaters and cottage cheese have been very helpful to me as far as getting my protein in.  I also do fine with tomato soup and cream of chicken soup, as well as Dannon light  & fit yogurt.  Yogurt smoothies are good too.  Take the food list and sample menu with you to go shopping.  Oh, and I just sent you alittle message. 

Hang in there!

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views