Bad Time With Colonoscopy...Now What???? Help!

evrblue
on 9/4/08 3:09 pm - McConnellsburg, PA
I had a colonoscopy on tuesday with my GI doc, been having some bleeding. Luckily, nothing was found other than hemrhoids. My problem is that even with Fentnyl (sp) and Versed (sp) injected into my IV, I was awake and aware the whole time and WOW did it hurt. Bad.

Now the same GI doc wants to do an endoscopy because he suspects an ulcer somewhere in the upper GI. I am afraid to have it done. There is no way I can be awake and alert while a tube is shoved down my throat! I had an endoscopy 10 years ago and woke up while they were removing the tube and slapped the Doc. (not meaning to, I was just struggling with my arms because of the feeling of gagging and choking)

How do I make sure I get enough meds to put me out if the previous meds did not work? I heard the nurse say that the same meds are used for colonoscopy and endoscopy, the fentnyl and Versed. What do I need to ask for? Any certain meds? They called this last one "twilight sleep" and I have had it before with a D&C and did fine, didn't come to until the procedure was done and I was in recovery. Is it the amount of the drugs that needs to be changed? How do I explain to the doctor without sounding like a Drug Seeker? I know those types are out there, just seeking a "high" they will have any procedure done. I am so scared to have the endoscopy done now! Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Pam Hart
on 9/4/08 7:07 pm - Easton, PA

"Drug Seekers" are normally people seeking drugs for AFTER a procedure to keep them high when they are NOT in a procedure, to help them get through the days.

I don't blame you for being afraid of the endoscopy.  I had twilight for a sinus surgery and woke up during the procedure....not a fun time.

You can simply explain your situation to them and let them know that you have woken up on multiple occassions (or in this case not gone to sleep during one at all) and give them fair warning.  Tell them you are afraid and tell them you want them to be prepared to give you as much as you need.

There may be issues that they can't give you more - meaning perhaps your blood pressure is dropping which is a common effect of these meds.

Coming from a nurse - you won't be seen as a seeker.  Granted, you may be seen as a PIA when you are telling them this - but that's their problem.  And if you do happen to awake or what not and do end up slapping someone - well - then they will figure out what you meant.

Good luck.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/08 8:57 pm - Horsham, PA
I would want to talk to the anesthesiologist , and find out
why your were not put into the twilight sleep or
why it did not work for you?

Hope they find your problem soon
Liz R.
on 9/4/08 10:32 pm - Easton, PA
Sorry to hear it didn't go well! I had an endoscopy about 4 years ago and the same thing - I thought that I was dreaming about the pain but here I Was really living it!

When I had my recent one I told the anasesiologist about the time before and he gave me a bit extra I was totally out and woke up in the recovery room!

Good luck - keep us posted!

Liz
evrblue
on 9/7/08 4:30 am - McConnellsburg, PA
Thanks everyone! I am going to talk to the GI doc ahead of time and try to find out why the meds did not work. I was told by a nurse friend of mine that if I don't get any response from the doc, call the hospital and ask for a patient advocate and/or ask to speak to the anethesiologist before the procedure.
I really am terrified of being awake during the endoscopy that I am almost to the point of not having it done, but I'll take everyone's suggestions and see what I can do.
Thanks Again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views