Beef and/or Turkey Jerky??

dit657
on 9/3/08 11:59 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Question - does anyone eat beef or turkey jerky? I'm trying to come up with some new protein solutions for snacking - I've been leaning toward carb-based items more and more and its not good - I need to back off the carbs (even soy chips) and get back to more protein. I always have string cheese and cottage cheese around for snacking, but I was wondering about the jerky and if anyone has luck with it. Plus I know that has a little saltier taste and that's what I crave in the carb snacks sometimes.

Guess my biggest concern is chewing it enough so it won't get stuck - I still struggle with beef products as it is, so I'm not sure this is a good choice for me.

Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 9/4/08 12:25 am - Easton, PA
Kathy - I was eating (and making) beef jerky quite a bit for a while, then when we moved for some reason I haven't turned to it as much. I should go get some...

I ate it without any problem and I have big "dry food" issues. Try it at home just to make sure though!

Liz
jojobear98
on 9/4/08 12:38 am - Gettysburg, PA
I love it and have no troubles. But if you think you might, try the "nuggets" that Jack Link's make. They are chewier and not as dry. And yummy!

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

JillZ
on 9/4/08 12:45 am - Warrington, PA
I love jerky and it's a great way to get protein in, I've not had any problems.  Someone at work brought some home made in and boy was it good.  A dehydrater is pretty cheap at Wal Mart and it tastes a lot better, less chewey then store bought:)

Laureen S.
on 9/4/08 12:54 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Kathy,

I ate it pretty often early on, as it is easy to pack up, doesn't require refrigeration as string cheese and other sources do, as well as easy to find, though I haven't had it in a while, think I backed off due to sodium content for the summer months, but now that you mention it, I think I'll pick up some to keep handy, as someone else mentioned, often times I crave the salt that many of the carb snacks provide, so the jerky serves as two purposes in that regard for me. . .  Jacks makes some really good ones, chicken, turkey and beef. . .

Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 9/4/08 12:58 am - Boothwyn, PA
Thanks - I think I'll pick some up this week at the store and try it over the weekend at home - just in case I have problems with it. Sounds like it would be a great snack to take on my cruise in October - wish I had thought of it before my flight to Seattle - never had time to eat so I had protein bars, which are good, but get tired of them too.

I'll have to try Jacks - sounds like that's the brand everyone recommends. Will let you know how I make out with it!

Thanks- Kathy

Pam Hart
on 9/4/08 3:02 am - Easton, PA
I personally have not had jerky....so I really dont' know what I'm talking about here....but for some reason I thought many had lots of sugars in them....and miss queen of dumping....read the labels!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 9/4/08 3:42 am - Boothwyn, PA
Oooh - good point! Definitely have to check out the sugars on that - Steve posted one brand that only had 2 grams of sugar so I'll look for that. Thanks for looking out for my best interests!! Hmm, Miss Queen of Dumping - well, I'm definitely a Queen - ask my friends and they'll all be more than happy to tell you that! Not sure I'm happy about the 'of Dumping' title - LOL!!!

jackie j
on 9/4/08 8:38 am - Glenmoore, PA
I second Steve's recommendation of Ostrim.  LOVE IT!   You can get it much cheaper online than GNC if you want to buy a case and the shelf life is quite long so that usually works out.   Pemmican Brand (sold at wawa's and BJ's) is REALLY good.  There is only 2gm sugar in this brand.   Here's the link to their info:  http://pemmican.com/products_premiumcutbeef.html    They are a tiny bit pricier than other brands but better quality and jerky is very portable for trips. 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

sbrunell
on 9/4/08 2:14 am - Bensalem, PA
I buy Os-Trim At GNC. It's Beef and Ostrich. It's not chewy and tastes pretty good. You can buy one to try it. I've never had any stuck issues, w/ it.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views