Post op liquid diet ideas

tanya72100
on 9/3/08 2:58 pm - Schuylkill Haven, PA
I am almost a week out of surgery and needless to say im already over this liquid diet. Im sick of the protein drinks and need to switch it up. Ive read some people are only a week out and adding fruit to their drinks. Is this common? Help please. Tomato soup is my staple along with decaf hot tea. I am sick of surgery tasting crsytal light, jello, pudding and need someone else. Help me help me!!!!

Pam Hart
on 9/3/08 7:04 pm - Easton, PA
If you are on full liquids you can add fruit to your protein drinks, blend and strain.

Same thing goes for soups.  You can get low fat soups like cream of chicken, blend the heck out of them, and strain them.  You can also add unflavored protein powder to the soups and warm (not hot) to add protein.

Also experiment with different flavors protein drinks and what not.  My favorite was "nectar cappuchino" powder, skim plus milk, and one packet of no sugar added carnation instant breakfast chocolate flavor and ice for an "iced mocha" like flavor or warmed just a little (no ice) for a warm mocha flavored drink.

Unjury.com sells a chicken broth protein powder which is really good.

Just remember to blend all additions and strain really well.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lisa G.
on 9/3/08 7:36 pm - lansdale, PA
SUGAR FREE ICE CREAM MIGHT WORK AS A TREAT. FLAVORED WATERS-SUGAR FREE. ANY SOUP BROTH-CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP BROTH WAS MY FAVORITE.  IT WILL GET BETTER. IT IS FRUSTRATING BUT YOU WILL GET TO EAT BETTER SOON
GOOD LUCK
LISA G
Jackie Smith
on 9/3/08 9:24 pm - Coatesville, PA
Hello,
I am one week and one day out.  I have made the Cherry and Peach Nectur PP with milk, peaches, strawberries and pineaple. 
My new favorite is refried beans, homemade salsa and a tocuh of cheese in the Magic Bullet until smooth.  I add enough juice from the salsa to make it almost soupy.
I have been making Cream of Wheat with splenda and cin.  I put it in the bullet with extra milk. 
Some one at the support group meeting recommended meatballs and homemade sauce blended like mad.  And you can add a touch of cheese. 
I blended and strained a Southwestern Chicken soup from Campbell's and then added a touch of cheese. 
French Onion Soup blended. 
I am sure I will come up with others as the weeks go by!!!  Please share if you find things that work. 
Jackie in Coatesville
Pam Hart
on 9/4/08 2:59 am - Easton, PA
Careful jackie - some of those menus sound more like pureed food than they do full liquids.  Just be sure it's ok w/ dr. boe, although he does advance some of his patients a little quicker than some of the other surgeons.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Melanie B.
on 9/4/08 2:32 am - Doylestown, PA
cream of wheat and refired beans w/ salsa? I'm totally jealous, they're not on my menu

I am in love with Fage Greek Yogurt (2%) I mix it with splenda or even SF caramel syrup (yum) I also buy frozen fruits (strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries) and blend it up for a yummy drink.

I'm kinda of over the protein shakes - they are just too sweet. If I could figure out how to make one taste like steak I might be good.

I've been doing some soups but no matter how hard I try have a hard time getting the protein to mix nicely.

I have another 10 days of full liquids and I know for sure it's not going to be easy.

Patricia R.
on 9/4/08 10:28 am - Perry, MI
Melanie,
Have you tried AnyWhey?  It is the only protein powder I use.  I mix with No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast and skim milk for 30 grams of protein.  I also mix it with yogurt, milk and fruit in the blender for another 30 grams.  I gagged on the protein drink I bought before I found AnyWhey.  Barix sells it in the practice.  I think you can also get it online.\
Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Melanie B.
on 9/4/08 10:54 am - Doylestown, PA
On September 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM Pacific Time, Patricia R. wrote:
Melanie,
Have you tried AnyWhey?  It is the only protein powder I use.  I mix with No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast and skim milk for 30 grams of protein.  I also mix it with yogurt, milk and fruit in the blender for another 30 grams.  I gagged on the protein drink I bought before I found AnyWhey.  Barix sells it in the practice.  I think you can also get it online.\
Hugs,
Trish
yup, AnyWhey is what I use. I have no problem getting it into shakes and yogurt, but no go on soup. And I even take the temp of the soup and wait until it's under 130 to add it. It just always clumps. wah.

GD_007
on 9/4/08 12:02 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Did you try the Unjurys?  Did you like them?
-GD
Lesley G.
on 9/4/08 5:53 am - Allegan, MI
I agree with Melanie -- the protein drinks are just too sweet!  There's a few I can choke down but for the most part BLEH!  Today I tried the Matrix Perfect Chocolate with a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee added to the mix, and that was not bad.  I think the coffee helped to offset the sweetness.

Greek yogurt has helped me quite a bit.  I blend it with Lactaid and a few frozen berries and it's delicious.  I've also been having a lot of blended soups with Any Whey added in.  What I do is I blend it, then strain it, then heat it in one of the Magic Bullet cups, add the Any Whey, then whiz it for a few seconds with the Magic Bullet.  I couldn't get it to mix with just a spoon or even a whisk.  I like the different Campbell's Soup at Hand varieties, and since they're pretty well blended there isn't much to strain out of them.

Lesley
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views