Is there any hope for me?

MelodyBell
on 9/3/08 2:24 am
I am new to OH, but I've been reading some here, and frankly, I'm scared.  I don't see anyone posting who has lost as much as I need to lose (Over 300 pounds).

IS there anyone here who has been there?  Are there any real success stories out there, of that kind of weight loss?

I do realize even 30 pounds is a huge accomplishment for many.  I have watched my sister struggle with 25 post pregnancy pounds.  But this is a whole different ball park.

So I am scared, and discouraged.  I am totally afraid of doing any of this surgery, and scared NOT to.  I am afraid it will be like everything else, and not work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Melody
current weight 468
goal weight 150

joldaker
on 9/3/08 2:44 am - West Bradford, PA
Mel please do some research and decide what will work best for you. This surgery will work, you will be sucessful. You may be looking at some plastic surgery later, but who knows maybe you wont.

Just have faith and do your homework.

I do agree that 300 pounds is way different than 25 pounds post preggers but when your in the middle of it, it all feels like 300.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
Pam Hart
on 9/3/08 3:13 am - Easton, PA
I believe Nannette has lost well over 200 pounds - I forget exactly how much.   She hasn't been posting as much as of late due to a personal family tragedy - but she does pop on now and again.  She is I believe 3 years out and is still losing.  It has taken a lot of work on her part - as it has on all of our parts.  She has learned among the best to work her tool to the best of her abilitiy.  I'm sure if you send her a personal message she will respond to you.

All that being said - let's say you don't lose 300 pounds.  Let's say you lose 200 pounds.  Is 268 better than 468?  I'd say yes in a heart beat.

You do, as Jen said, have to make the committment and really decide if this surgery is for you.  Do a LOT of research.  Surgeons, surgical procedure etc. 

I also have to throw this out there - your BMI may be to high right now for insurance to cover you.  I'm not saying this to sway you into saying "oh never mind" because it IS attainable for you.  You may have some pre surgery work to do before getting approval - but it can be done.  I just felt I needed to alert you to this possibility so you aren't shocked down the road.  I believe the cut off for some (not all) insurances is a BMI of 50....cause over 50 it is considered "experimental" which in my humble opinion is just a bunch of crock...I mean how can you "over qualify" as I put it for something like bariatric surgery?  That's like telling a patient on the heart transplant list who has less than 2 weeks to live that they aren't candidates because their heart is to weak.  Uh, hello...that's how I got here in the first place.  Sorry - I'll come down off my soap box now!

Good luck, feel free to ask any and all questions you may have here - and you will get answers and encouragement.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
litlhurry
on 9/6/08 10:56 am - anytown, PA
my bmi was 67...
Pam Hart
on 9/6/08 9:41 pm - Easton, PA
Guess all the insurances are different....
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jojobear98
on 9/3/08 4:12 am - Gettysburg, PA
It depends on what you expectations are. If it is to loose weight and be a healthier you, then you have to decide if you can do it on your own or need a "tool" of WLS to get there.

You have to know and realize that with or without the surgery, eating habits change drastically. And the days of breads and carbs, sweets, and fast food are gone.

It's a very personal decision. I personally know a few people who have lost over 200 pounds. But it all depends on how much a person complies with the eating habits you must have after surgery.

I have never once regretted surgery. It was the best thing I ever did. But it took me 4 years to make the big step towards it. You will know when and if ......it's the right thing for you.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Lesley G.
on 9/3/08 5:01 am, edited 9/3/08 5:05 am - Allegan, MI
I had about 250 lbs to lose when I started out (my ticker isn't up yet because I am a chicken).  It *is* possible, and there are people who lose even 300 lbs or more with surgery.  I had heard rumors about insurance denying anyone with a BMI over 60, but I had absolutely no problems getting approved.  I had my surgery at Barix and their insurance office handled everything, and I am very happy I had their help.

You may want to check out the BMI Over 50 message board.  I know there's quite a few people there who have started out where you are and are doing very well.

Also, I want to say that I totally understand the worry that this will be yet another diet that will not work.  I had my surgery last Monday and I have already lost 15 lbs since surgery.  I am amazed by the progress I've made so far, and also amazed at how good I am feeling, and it's given me a lot of confidence to keep working at it and doing what I can to be successful with my surgery.

Lesley
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 5:17 am
Melody,

Your emotions you are feeling are normal it is the fear of the unknown. Yet you took the step to ask us here on the boards for feedback. I started out at my highest weight of 340 (I am just admittimg that in the last week) I am down to 233 last time on the scale I am 4 1/2 months out from surgery.

I suggest you research as much as you can do not rush into anything to me knowledge was power. I read another support board for 3 years and then jumped in the pool a year before surgery with reading all I could. I met up with a friend who had used Barix then that was my final push because I had been scared and in the process my family doctor retired so I did it all on my own.

It is work but if you want it toi happen it will happen I am a firm believer in positve thinking and reaching for yoru dreams. So even is you lost say 200 pounds you still be healthier in the long run and just take one day at a time do not focus on the over all number but getting healthier.

Reach out to us we have all been where you are and we pay it forward....
Best Wishes

Laureen S.
on 9/3/08 5:22 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Nannette (A Happy Soul her name on here) was near your weight when she started, she posts recipes on here all the time and has lost over 250 pounds and is now about 2 years post-op and still continues to lose, so you are not alone there are others here that can encourage you.  Yes, it is scary, but you can do it, the thing is to realize you are not alone and once your tool (WLS) is in place, it is a matter of your dedication to changing the way you've lived and your thinking with relation to food.  Wishing you the best of all things as you seek a way to better heallthy living.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 9/3/08 5:56 am - Boothwyn, PA
Melody, its okay to be scared - we were all scared (and sometimes still are). But you coming out here is a big first step, and makes me think you're very serious about researching WLS and all that goes with it.

When I weighed in at my initial consult I was 388 - my goal is to lose 200 lbs and go from there. I know that won't put me in the 'perfect height/weight range' but to me it beats the heck out of being morbidly obese.

I know with this tool and the knowledge I've been given I will accomplish that first goal - I've lost almost 150 lbs so far in less than a year - 50 prior to surgery and 100 since. As time goes on the weight comes off slower, but it still comes off with using your tool and exercise and SUPPORT.

Maybe you're giving yourself too much of a goal right now with the 150 - start with smaller goals that seem more attainable and work your way down to the 150 goal weight you want.

But research, support meetings, reading everything you can get your hands on, and checking out your insurance are critical beginning stages. None of us just jumped into this blindly - we all did our homework and asked dozens of questions (and still do), and support each other unconditionally - thru good times and bad.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide - I truly do believe this surgery has saved my life and I'm only sorry I didn't do it sooner, but we all have to be ready in our hearts and in our heads.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views