How do I get started?

Cinderella67
on 9/2/08 4:31 am
Hello everyone. Ive been lurking for a few weeks now. Trying to learn as much as I can. Trying to decide if WLS is for me.   Im at the point now where I want to move forward.  But Im not sure what to do first.  There's a WLS support group meeting coming up in a few weeks at a local hospital.  Im seriously thinking about attending it.  Should I set up an appt with my PCP to discuss my decision first?  Or should I just attend the meeting and start the ball rolling from there?  It seems so overwhelming.  I would appreciate hearing your thoughts/opinions on how I get this process started.
Shannon O.
on 9/2/08 4:40 am - Reading, PA
I would go to the meeting and explain you are interested but have some questions etc... then that way you are a little bit more educated about everything and then go see your doc...

But, if you have any questions... ask away here... we are a great and friendly bunch!!

Also in the mean time contact your insurance and see what you have to get done for them to be approved for WLS... and which kinds they approve etc... then see which hospitals you can go too...

Good luck and hugs!

AmyShu
on 9/2/08 4:55 am - sharpsville, PA
Hey! My husband and I went through a Bariatric Center, and they helped us so much with all the scheduling of tests and appointments we needed for our insurance. Are you close to Greenville? [In western Pa near Meadville] That is where we went.
I think the poster before me was right on! Go get even more educated from the support group, [btw, I love my support group I attend!] and then when you talk to your PCP you will be able to really lay out why you need his/her letter of rec.
Good luck!!

Amy

Laureen S.
on 9/2/08 5:46 am - Maple Shade, NJ
You are making a good start in attending a support group, however, one of the first things I did was contact my insurance company to see what their criteria was for this should I decide to pursue it.  Some insurance carriers have co-morbidity factors as a requirement, or a six month diet, done through your pcp or a nutritionist before they will approve any procedure, unfortunately there are some that exclude this surgery altogether.  So definitely ask any questions you have here, but also research the facilities in your area, you can research the doctors and facilities right on here through, to the left of this under Other Pennsylvania Resources, Find a Bariatric Surgeon.

Good luck to you as you begin your journey towards healthier living!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 9/2/08 12:00 pm - Easton, PA
I agree with the others - go to the support group first.  Also, start doing research on surgeons/programs/hospitals in your area.  You may find information sessions being held by the them to help you answer some of your questions as well.  See your primary doctor when you are able.  Be prepared to explain your decision and YOU have to be educated in WLS because unfortunately many pcp's are not.  I know mine isn't - and have educated him along the way.  He has been supportive after the fact.

Feel free to ask any questions you have here - someone always has the answer!!  Good luck on this fabulous, but sometimes emotionally draining journey!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 9/2/08 12:35 pm - Perry, MI
I never discussed this surgery with my PCP at all.  I researched it online, mostly with Obesity Help, and the PA forum here.  I then went to a consult with my surgeon, and then attended the pre-op support meeting at the hospital there.  I then pursued the surgery, and only informed my PCP in an appointment prior to my scheduled surgery date.  He had previously helped me with my weight for about a year, and had diagnosed me as prediabetic a year before.  He did not give me an opinion one way or the other on the surgery. 

Whatever path you choose, just be as educated as you can be about the surgery options, and your insurance companies prerequisite requirements for having it done, if they cover it at all.

Good luck and keep posting.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Ample Beauty
on 9/2/08 7:44 pm - central, VA
Absolutely go to the info meeting.  Go to as many as you can get to.  You will find MOST doctors only tell you about the surgeries they actually do, so be warned you may not be getting all the information. 

If you can find one who will tell you about procedures s/he doesn't even do, then you will have found a gem.  You will know he has your best interest at heart, and not just his pocket book. 

So yes, go to the meetings, and do your research to determine WHICH surgery is best FOR YOU.  Then find the best doctor nearest you who actually DOES that surgery.  You may have to travel, but that would be preferable to getting the wrong surgery, IMO.

Good luck!!

Ample, the Hybrid Caddy -- 488 (76.4)/146(22.8)/140-ish
12/11/2005 Hit by a truck - wt 435/BMI 68     
1/24/2006 VBG w/sleeve - Dr. Elariny

12/5/2006 Revision to D/S and Adjustable Band - Dr. Elariny,
wt 286/BMI 46
7/30/2008 LBL; 10/13/2008 UBL; 12/29/2008 Lipo: Dr Krieger
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!