RE POST On Beck diet Solution Chat

Nicole0216
on 9/2/08 11:47 am - Lancaster, PA
on the 9th at 9:30 go to the PA Board and where it says on the left chatroom just enter there and we will all be there,
Patti M.
on 9/2/08 8:34 am
Hi Nicole!

I got the workbook....does it have the same information in it as the book?  Or do I need both?  I'll head to Barnes & Noble if I need both.

Thanks!
Patti      
Nicole0216
on 9/2/08 11:48 am - Lancaster, PA
Patti the workbook has all of the excercises and preliminary info in it so it is good enough. The book has more infro info in it but you will be ok without it
LisaAC
on 9/3/08 1:02 am - Philadelphia, PA
Just out of curiousity...why is anyone who has had WLS doing a diet?  I had surgery to change my life and dieting was part of my old life...a huge and ugly part that began in my pre-school years and had to be worked out of my life over these last couple years.  I won't board that train again.  What's the thinking behind going on a diet post-wls? 
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Nicole0216
on 9/3/08 2:11 am - Lancaster, PA

IT is not a diet. I know bad choice of wording in the title but it is not a diet. I refuse to ever diet again if at all possible. I would suggest reading the website about the book if you have any questions about the book I don;t answer for you. Basicaly this is a book that is written to utilize CBT to help those you want to diet or change their relationship with food be sucessful. This book does not promote any one diet or way of eating other than to help you address the emotional and behavioral reasons why we eat, and why the diets we have been on fail. Again I repeat it is not a diet.

It is relevant to post WLS people because we have surgery on our stomachs not on our heads. So all the reasons why we could not survive a diet in the past are still there. We still eat out of habit or reward. That does not go away. we still want to reach for food when we are emotional, and we will have the negative cognitions playing that have caused us to fail in the past, This book can help people who are at any stage in the game, pre post or even non op. I wish I had found it before I had the surgery.

I hope this answers your questions if not I suggest going to the beck institute website to get more info.

Arlene E.
on 9/5/08 2:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
 Nicole

I've been away and out of touch, but so glad to be back and to find that you are taking time to do this with us.  I ordered book and workbook from half.com and hopefully will get before Tues. night.  If not, I will go to  Barnes and Noble to read introduction.  

As with most, I find it getting harder and harder to eat the right things and the right amounts and I know it is a "head" problem.  I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT!!!! so I must do what is necessary to fight this lifelong battle.

Arlene

Nicole0216
on 9/5/08 3:27 am - Lancaster, PA
it really is a battle and the more tools we have the better. I am sure you can catch up even if you dont have the book by tuesday.
Ready4 AChange
on 9/6/08 9:06 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Hi Nicole,
I just found your post. We just got back from vacation yesterday ( I need another one taking 4 kids with me ! ) This sounds interesting. I'm going to try to get to the book store today sometime if I can. And the good news is I came home 3 pounds less than what I left with ! Probably gained it back already !

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views