Need a new start...

DOLORES VITZTHUM
on 8/31/08 9:38 pm - OAKFORD, PA
Sorry I have not posted in such a long long time...

Need advice, I am slipping downwards.  I gain ten pounds and am embarassed and really don't know where to start again. Never thought it would happen to me.  I know I need to go back to basic but right now it just seems so hard.  Why am I telling you guys cause BE CARFUL old habits come back,  I thought if  share and get advice maybe I can get back on track!!!

I know I need to get back to the gym but my membrship stopped and because of finanical reasons it does not start  again until October.  Will and I have been going thru something difficults that I am sure added to the emotinal eatting.

Again sorry don't want to be a wet noddle but as I approach my 3rd year anniversary it is getting harder or maybe I need to get back to the beginning....ANY SUGESSTION would be helpful.

Thanks

Dolores
Laureen S.
on 8/31/08 10:15 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Dolores,

Thanks for your honesty and I can see how old habits die hard, and seeing as I'm not as far along as you, I'm no expert here, though I had a situation this weekend with my son and I went home and found myself eating, however, I realized what I was doing, which was feeding feelings, before I could do any real damage, this time that is! 

So yep, it is as they say a tool and it was done to our stomachs, not our heads, vigilance is the key to on going successing and so get back to the basics, try the 5 day pouch test to get on track again and if you haven't been, get back to attendance at support groups, for me they keep me on track.  Walking is a good form of exercise, use weights or use a backpack with some books in it for a more vigorous exercise. . .

Hugs and good wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 8/31/08 10:23 pm - Perry, MI
Dolores,
Thanks for posting this.  You are not alone.  I am just two years out, and I gained twenty pounds in the past 9 months due to emotional eating.  I have to work my 12 step program in this area, as well as other areas of recovery.  I am in therapy, which helps me a great deal.  I also post here often, for the added support and encouragement.  I hope to get back to the support group meetings at Barix, as face to face support is great for reinforcements.

Take it one day at a time, and get back to food journaling and if necessary, write your emotions for each eating instance so you can self-examine.

Easy does it.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 9/1/08 12:14 am - Easton, PA
Dolores,

That's the great thing about support groups - we're not here to only celebrate the goods.  More importantly, I think, is to help with the not so goods.

As I told trish....you had a momentarily lapse of successing - it happens to the best!!

If you are interested you can google the 5 day pouch test and do that.  It's hard, end of story.  The first two days you go back to full liquids...then move through the stages.  It helps a lot of people get back on track and go back to basics.

Otherwise - start small.  Track your food and your activiity.  I understand the financial constraints - but the weather has been beautiful and you could at least go for walks during the day.

Start with the basics - make sure you are meeting protein and fluid goals and go from there.

Post here - we'll be here!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jdruski
on 9/1/08 12:48 am - Philadelphia, PA

Dolores,

You are not alone.  We all get to this point.  I guess that is why the nut stresses that this is a tool and we have to learn how to use it.  Yeah, as I am reaching for a potato chips so I don't have to face my real problem.

I am 2 years post op and have severe bone on bone knees which really curtails any exercise.  I still have over 60 lbs to lose.  I decided to go back to the basics.  I am using a modified version of the 5 day pouch test.  The reason that I am modifiying it, is because I know I that I would struggle with it, but that is my story.  Try going to the website and see if that is something that will interest you. 

Most of all keep getting support.  This board is probably one of the best support groups that you can find online.  Do you have any live support groups that you can get to in your area?

I wish you luck.  Please PM me if you just want to talk.  Sometimes when you bounce ideas off of people going through the same thing that you are it helps.

I applaud your courage for coming on here and admitting what so many of us are afraid to admit.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Jeanne

Georgianne Z.
on 9/1/08 1:00 am - NC

Hi Dolores!

Thanks for posting!  I can see some of my old habits coming back to.  I don't have any to add that you or others haven't already added.  I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Georgianne

What you are, is God's gift to you.  What you make of yourself, is your gift to God.

J. M.
on 9/1/08 2:39 am
You are definitely not alone. I had a REALLY bad weekend with old habits and am getting back on track too. You will get back on too Im sure. Keep reaching out for support and head outside for free exercise.  I'm on my way out now.

You are brave for posting and admitting. People need to see that. Thank you!

~ Jen   

keri2008
on 9/1/08 9:12 am - PA
I'm a newbie so I know I don't have much info or experience to offer you just that you've done the hardest part, acknowledged it and said it out loud.  Work the tool, go back to whatever materials you have and read them and visualize you're back home right after surgery.  Right down all the things you remember that you did.  It will come back to you.  Just keep working it.  I JUST saw this on another post so I'm sure you'll see it but here it is just in case.
http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

Keri
Nicole0216
on 9/1/08 10:19 am - Lancaster, PA
you are sooo no t alone. 10 bs is easy lets stop it at that.

Several of us are going to do a Beck diet solution program and chat starting next tuesday night. Please join us. I think it will  help you/
jackie j
on 9/1/08 12:39 pm - Glenmoore, PA
Hey Babe, there's a meeting at Phoenixville Hosp.  Wednesday night at 7, why don't you come hang out?  It would be great to see you and commiserate; we can get our asses in gear together.  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views