cranberry supplements?

Lesley G.
on 8/31/08 3:03 pm - Allegan, MI
I haven't had any surgical pain since I came home, but today I realized that the "funny feeling" I thought I maybe had yesterday was a full-fledged UTI, and OMG THE PAIN!  I called Dr. Pupkova, who said to call my PCP, and my PCP's on-call doc called me in a script for liquid Bactrim.  When I went to pick up the Bactrim, I also bought some Uristat and I think that is already helping with the pain.

I noticed that they also had cranberry supplements on the shelf, near the Uristat.  Does anyone take cranberry supplements?  Are they helpful in relieving or preventing a UTI?  I'd like to do whatever I can to make this go away and not come back!

Thanks in advance,
Lesley
kimmiep621
on 8/31/08 4:43 pm
awe hope you feel better real soon,     last month when i had my uti i took the cranberry suppliments and it didnt do squat for me.     i hope your meds kick in real soon, hugs

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

Lesley G.
on 9/1/08 2:04 am - Allegan, MI
Thanks Kim.  I remembered that you had had one recently too and I almost called you to ask what they gave you because I was panicking there wouldn't be anything liquid or chewable I could take.  Thankfully though the on-call doc told me that there's liquid Bactrim and I'm beginning to feel better already.  Hopefully this will kick that UTI to the curb!
keri2008
on 8/31/08 9:46 pm - PA
I am so sorry to hear you're feeling horrible!  I do know that cranberry can be helpful but I think your very best bet is to take whatever the PCP gave you.  In an acute state (which it sounds like you are in) the cranberry most likely will not be able to help fast enough.  Hang in there!

Keri
jdruski
on 9/1/08 12:39 am - Philadelphia, PA
Lesley,

Sorry to here about your not feeling well.  UTI are painful.  A while back Nan (Happy Soul) did a review on cranberry tablets, I hope that I am remembering correctly.  Send her a PM to ask her opinion.  I know that she would help you.

Jeanne
Pam Hart
on 9/1/08 1:49 am - Easton, PA
We are taught in nursing school that the amount of cranberry juice/supplements you would need to take in order to truly make a difference in your pH is so high, it really isn't worth it.  Of course, some people swear by it - so whatever.

Uristat is probably what is helping the pain.  I believe it is an over the counter sub for "Pyridium" which is the prescription stuff which works wonders....

Things to help prevent a uti:

1)  wipe front to back only
2)  take showers, not baths
3)  Wear cotton underwear, change often
4)  Clean after, uh, "relations" with others
5)  water water water water

Feel better - UTI's are just awful.  I've had one once and that was more than enough for me!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Lesley G.
on 9/1/08 1:59 am - Allegan, MI
Thanks Pam!  Yes, the Uristat is an OTC version of Pyridium.  I think it's definitely helping with the pain, which is good because I had to chew them and they didn't taste good so I'd be mad if they didn't help!

I hope the Bactrim does its job very soon.  I've also been trying to get in extra fluids.  Yesterday I managed 84 oz and I'm trying for at least that today.  This is the second time I've ever had one of these and OMG, I think I'd forgotten how truly not fun it is!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views