tell us about dumping

kidnee
on 9/1/08 4:04 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
Hi all,
Can you tell us how you feel when you DUMP? What are your symptoms, how do you feel and how long do these symptoms last?

thanks
Donna

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

CherylT
on 9/1/08 4:34 am, edited 9/1/08 6:07 am - Perkasie, PA
Well, my eyes sweat. Weird, huh? I get lightheaded, weak, and I have diarrhea. It's not pretty. I usually have symptoms for about 2-3 hours I guess..

Pam Hart
on 9/1/08 5:03 am - Easton, PA
Donna,

The one time I truly dumped...I had severe weakness, eyes tearing, dry heaving, heart racing, nose running....I honestly don't know exactly how long it lasted cause after the initial beginning of it, I went to bed and finally fell alseep - woke up a few hours later feeling pretty good.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 9/1/08 5:31 am - Perry, MI
When I dumped, I felt like I wanted to throw up, and die.  The nausea was horrible, and I felt light headed, and disoriented.  It felt a lot like the stomach flu, and all I could do was curl up on the couch and wait for it to pass.  It took a few hours before I felt normal again. 

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

dit657
on 9/1/08 6:38 am - Boothwyn, PA
The first time you dump it'll hit you so fast at first you won't realize what's going on. At least that's how its been for me. Mine started with severe intestinal cramping, then suddenly the nauseau started and had me running to the toilet - both times it was just dry-heaving, then the runs started but not for long. But during that time I got the sweats, then the shakes and the chills. Its like being hit by the Flu Mac Truck.

Both times I laid down and it passed in about an hour, but then I was wiped out for several hours afterward.

In 6 months I've only dumped twice - I know sugar is a huge no-no for me and both times it was accidental, so I've learned to try and read EVERYTHING carefully. Dumping is not fun.

Foamies - they're somthing else altogether - if something gets 'stuck' the foamie**** - thats when I get the runny nose and gaggy feeling, and start spitting up huge globs of mucus. Again, not pleasant, so chew slowly and wait between bites when you're finally on solid foods.

Good luck - and here's hoping you never have to experience it!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
eclipse1021
on 9/1/08 2:11 pm - Williamstown, NJ

my heart races, my belly aches, my nose runs, sometimes I get short of breath or a bout of diarrhea,  and all of this is ALWAYS followed by a tiredness that I can't even describe, and I absolutely MUST lay down and fall asleep.  dumping is one of the worst feelings in the world.

Nicole0216
on 9/1/08 11:37 pm - Lancaster, PA
i have been fortunate enough not to totally dump. I stay away from sugar period.
I have had a early out episode that may have been dumping when I was less than a week out and had some muscle milk. Then I felt like my veins had been filled with ice water and my heart started racing.
kidnee
on 9/2/08 12:03 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ

OH boy I am afraid of dumping!!!!!! I am a wreck if I get the vomiting  diarrhea flu.  can't take that going to die feeling. I get like panic attacks.

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

jastypes
on 9/2/08 3:15 am - Croydon, PA
Dumping is something I'd like to never repeat.  I got dizzy and disoriented, then my heart felt like it was going to pump right out of my chest.  I laid down and was able to fall asleep about half an hour later.  I was fine when I woke up.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

sbrunell
on 9/2/08 3:21 am - Bensalem, PA
I was very skeptical about even having the surgery. I felt the doctors were trying to sell me on why I should do it. I thought youtube would be a great place to find out from real patients what it's like. I looked for every reason why they say not to do it, then made my decision to go for it. In the first video, the woman eats 4 Oreo cookies, and starts to dump.  A serving is 2 cookies, so it's WAY overboard. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylrx0S80IgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACrxvfQFaNI

These videos have scared me straight, so I don't mess around....if I think it's questionable, I avoid it. It's just not worth it.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views