I need to talk about "poo"...LOL

jojobear98
on 8/29/08 2:41 am - Gettysburg, PA
I kinda feel like a loser  asking this but I figured what the heck, someone might have an answer!

Ok, I was born with a genetic blood disorder. It's sort of like sickle cell, only instead of blood cells being sickle shaped they are still round, only they are 1/4 to 1/2 the size of normal. this results in VERY low hemoglobin, hematocrit, iron and B-12.

I get IV iron infusions and blood transfusions on a fairly regular basis to attempt to keep my levels close to normal but they never are.

So, anyway, I have to take iron 3 times a day. Even though with WLS, most of it doesn't absorb. But my Hemotologist says any extra I get is better for me.

Well all the iron wreaks havoc on my bowels. I can go days without a BM. Doc says to experiment with some OTC laxitives that work for me so it helps that problem.

Well my problem is that I work full time and have 3 kids. I don't really have the time to hang around my bathroom day after day trying to find one that doesn't work "too well" if you know what I mean. So I was wondering if anyone takes iron daily and uses a laxitive or stool softener that seems to work well with daily life so I can narrow down options of what to try.

Sorry to talk about poo on a friday afternoon but would like to figure this out over the weekend so I can poo peacefully once again!
EileenWalton
on 8/29/08 3:31 am
I don't take additional iron, but ever since surgery I have had severe constipation.  I have never been able to go without the use of a stool softener.  PeriColace is a miracle worker.  It works every time.  It's gentle, so it's not like I have to go running the bathroom all day, every day.  It does produce a bowel movement daily, usually in the morning, but there is never urgency to it.  I hope this helps.
Eileen

Pam Hart
on 8/29/08 3:36 am - Easton, PA
I don't take iron pills....however ever since WLS I have gotten pretty good at trying all sorts of different laxatives/stool softeners etc.  That way I don't look like this on a weekly basis

Anyway - the one that works the best for me is peri-colace.  You can take it on a nightly basis.  I do develop some abdominal cramping but when I take it almost ALWAYS have a BM when I wake up in the morning (For me it seems to take about 6-10 hours to work, so I take it a few hours before bed so that when I get up in the morning, I am not having it possibly start to work as I am trying to LEAVE for work)

The regular colace seems to do little or nothing for me.

Peri colace you can take 2-4 tablets/day.  You can take them all at once or in divided doses.  I take mine all at once.  I don't have to take it on a daily basis any more (although for awhile there I did)  Now that I use it for occassional use only, I take the full 4 tablets once.  When I was taking it daily I started with four and then worked my way down to 2 cause four a day was getting, well, a little ridiculous if you know what I mean.

Maybe this weekend you could "experiment" without worrying about going to work.  They have generic brands....basically it's "docusate sodium with standardized senna concentrate"  The docusate is the stool softner and the senna is the laxative portion.

Happy bathroom-ing!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jojobear98
on 8/29/08 3:45 am - Gettysburg, PA
Thank you, Thank you!

This info means more than you know. Poop pain is just miserable and I don't want to be socializing all weekend with a constipated pain on my face! LOL

angelmolly
on 8/29/08 3:51 am - PA

Ask your dr. about ferrex 150.  I take it 2x's a day with vit. c to help it absorb.  I also had iron infusions.  Ferrex does not give the side effects of constipation like othr iron.  Its alittle more expensive but it works.  I need a prescription for it, but insurance does not cover it.  Its like 20 something a month.  BUT WELL WORTH IT.........My iron count actually goes up with this where with the other it didnt help much.
Good luck.

Our talents are Gods gift to us....The way we use them is our gift to Him...

jdruski
on 8/29/08 4:02 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi,

These are the kind of questions that need to be asked, so please don't feel bad about asking 

I can only tell you about what I do.  PLEASE check it out with your doctor before you try it.  I asked my Nut and showed him the bottle, and he said because it was all natrual that it was OK.  I take it 3 or 4 times per week and I am regular, which to me is twice a day.  The product is called Ultra Colon Clenz.  It is available from PennHerb Co. here in Philly and they have a great website. 

The thing I like about this is that you only have to take one or two capsules and the next day it does the trick.  As you say you have a busy life style so if you decide to try it I would do it on the weekend until you know how your body reacts to it.

Again, please check with your doc.  If you want to look at the ingredients here is the website address pennherb.com 

If you are in the city they are located at 2nd and Spring Garden.

Good luck and I hope you start to feel better.  Being constipated is a terrible feeling.

Jeanne
Marlo71
on 8/29/08 4:57 am - Harrisburg, PA
  hehe

-Marlo 

jojobear98
on 8/29/08 5:01 am - Gettysburg, PA
Leave it to Marlo to confirm I am a loser! Just wait till you have your surgery and you are on here asking questions you never thought you would! ha ha

Or you will call me at work and harass me........either way, you'll be a loser too but in the GOOD kinda of way! Very soon sweetie!
Marlo71
on 8/29/08 8:12 am - Harrisburg, PA
hehehehehehehe  I just got the biggest kick out of that little icon!!  Yes, you owe me a few "harrassings"   I cant wait to be a loser just like you soon!!!  LOL Luv ya  Girl

-Marlo 

J. M.
on 8/29/08 12:13 pm
kidney beans

broccoli

everyday

poo time: 7:30am....like clock work

~ Jen   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views