HUGE SETBACK

DianeMarie
on 8/27/08 8:12 am - Delmont, PA

My life has always been one whamy after another.  Tonight when all has been going so well and I was getting close to my goal of surgery my husband called me and told me to pick him up from work.  He was permanently laid off.  My health insurance was through him.  It ends in a few days.

I will not slip back into eating when I'm depressed.  I will fight to continue this.  I can get insurance from my job but I'm not sure how long I have to wait.  I will start to inquire tomorrow.

I'm so scared and angry.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
jackie j
on 8/27/08 8:26 am - Glenmoore, PA
Diane, he should be entitled to COBRA immediately without interruption of benefits if you can make those payments now that would enable you to do the surgery.   You could then switch to your insurance during open enrollment which might also negate any "pre-existing condition" issue, but check on that.   Hope things turn around soon, my hubby's been laid off 3 times in the last 7 years due to the economy and jobs getting outsourced; it's no fun but I'm sure worse for him than for me.  Good luck.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/27/08 8:27 am

By law your husbands employer must offer you Cobra Benefits.  This will be at your expense, but you will be able to continue the insurance for up to 6 mos. while you wait for your own employers insurance to kick in.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 8/27/08 8:48 am - Easton, PA

Diane,

Cobra is definately a consideration.  Although pricey - it would help you not have to start over.

As far as your insurance is considered - I believe you are now entitled to "life changing event" because you were covered under your husband, but now that your husband is no longer employed, you are not covered under him.  I know things like marriage and divorce are covered under this - but I'm not 100% sure about your particular situation.

Considering this - you seem to be in an emotionally good place right now - and that's amazing!  Keep up the great attitude - you certainly have been through a lot and I understand that feeling.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Christine C.
on 8/27/08 9:47 am - Port Deposit, MD
I agree with Pam ... check to see if you are covered under "Life Changing Events" ... I dont believe you will have to wait for your company Open Enrollment.  I know I have the option where I'm at if my hubby were to lose the insurance for any reason.

Good Luck!!
Christine

DianeMarie
on 8/27/08 10:21 am - Delmont, PA
Well he filed for Unemployment Compensation online.  Well I did it for him.  I will call my HR manager tomorrow about the isurance and see if there is that "Life Changing" thing for me.

Giant Eagle has always wanted to start a night stocking position so I'll check into that with my boss to see if he can be hired to work at night.  This way his days would be open to find another job.  He worked for a company for 20 years before it went over seas.  They laid him off and he went back to school for Electrician.  He graduated but never found a job in that field.  He's worked for several different places since then.  That would be the best field for him to find a job in but It hasnt happened yet.  He worked for this last company 2 years.  This economy really sucks.

I'll just have to bust my butt on my current job and maybe look for a second once since I now have set hours.

I really appreciate the responses I've received tonight.  You all are truly wonderful people.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
jackie j
on 8/28/08 3:10 am - Glenmoore, PA
Hey Diane, it might not be a bad idea for hubby to be a plumber, carpenter, or electrician right now....I just called for a "retired" plumber to come fix a little something and the guy's getting $50/hr; twice what hubby or I make an hour.  Seeing as he won't come out for a free estimate beforehand (because of gas prices) that means if he doesn't have "it" on the truck (which you KNOW he won't) he'll have to go to home depot etc. and charge me for that time too!   Sounding like a $250 small job to me!   I think I need to watch more DIY!   Maybe I'll become a plumber!  I agree, this economy sux bigtime!!!   Back to basics is where its at...afterall, ya gotta flush  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

auntweezie
on 8/27/08 10:45 am - PA

I am so sorry. Hopefully, you can buy cobra thru your husband;s company. There is a solution....

L.

Ready4 AChange
on 8/27/08 11:06 am - Upper Chichester, PA

Diane,
I hope you find out something soon. Please try to get your insurance as soon as possible. My husband was "let go" because of his health so he had to find insurance for my daughter and I. Because it took 31 days to get the insurance I almost didn't get the thyroid surgery because it was considered a "preexisting condition" But my husband talked to the ins company and because it was one day they predated it ( I think that is what they did) husband did have to pay extra month to cover it but I got covered. We were covered by Personal Choice PPO , it was cheaper than getting it through his work, cobra I think. Check out some of the insurances but make sure you don't let the insurance lapse...
Good Luck,

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Patricia R.
on 8/27/08 11:59 am - Perry, MI
Diane,
I am so sorry you were dealt this blow.  I know that God has things in control, and that you will be okay in the end.  Check out COBRA, and check on your company's insurance.  Take some deep breaths and remember the progress you are making, and will continue to make in spite of this curve ball.

Huggles,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views