OT Resume help?

Pam Hart
on 8/27/08 6:04 am - Easton, PA
Hi guys!  Well things are moving along with Lehigh a bit quicker than anticipated - I already have one of two interviews set up (apparantly you have a minimum of two interviews - one with HR/recruiting and then after that your paperwork goes to your department and you start the process with them....)

I have a resume - based on a microsoft office template.  I thought it seemed wordy - but it's what the template suggested.  It has all of my info including school and degrees and job titles.  But under each job title they wanted a little description - and my job history I put for the past 9 years as even though I wasn't a nurse - I had pre hospital emergency treatment (EMT) so it was relevant.

I just got a copy of my manager (and friends) resume and it's completely different.  Basically it is just the job titles - no descriptions and then an area where her certifications are listed, an area where her schools are listed, etc etc etc

So for those who look at resumes - do you put in job descriptions?  Or do you basically just put titles and the such and then in the interview expand?

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
ladychief231
on 8/27/08 6:28 am - Douglassville, PA
Pam,

I am an HR professional and recruiter, You should include bullet points on each job that highlights or captures you skill set. Give more detail on the jobs that closely fit the position you are applying for. I'd be glad to look at it if you want to email it to me.

Good luck with the interviews and I've heard Lehigh Valley Hosp is very good. I have a friend who lives in Emmaus and it is a really cute town.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Laureen S.
on 8/27/08 6:28 am - Maple Shade, NJ
I always list a description of what I did for the position held and have a skills section at the bottom listing my many work, people related skills as would apply in the job market. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/08 6:29 am
Pam..

I do not read resumes but mine currently sounds like yours with descriptions of my job duties and have also expanded at the interview...

Good Luck
jojobear98
on 8/27/08 6:39 am - Gettysburg, PA
When I went to school, they made us take a class on resumes and interviews. And it was THE BEST THING!

Here's the basic layout. Especially for a medical type position.

Your name and info

Objective: I would like to utilize my skills as a nurse by taking care of patients efficiently and with care while being an efficient member of my team. (or any BS like that)

Education with school, address and degree

Next list most recent job, dates, address and BRIEF desc. (you can elaborate in interview)

2nd most recent

3rd and so on

Certificates

Then type "Refrences available upon request" at bottom.

I always liked to have my refrences typed nicely on a seperate paper. that way, if they ask, I have it. Some places only check your past jobs, some want extra refrences.

I was always told to never put my salary with my job info. So I don't. there are so many ways to do resumes but this is basically how mine is set up

Nicole0216
on 8/27/08 6:41 am - Lancaster, PA
I am not a resume expert but I just wanted to chime in and tell you that this is very exciting. I am happy for you.
Christine C.
on 8/27/08 7:32 am - Port Deposit, MD
When I am looking at resume's to hire for an opening I think that the description is extremely important.  However, I prefer to see it in bullet format instead of a paragraph (when reviewing a ton of resumes its sometimes tough to sit down and read a "novel" for each person).  Make sure you include the most critical things you do (and make sure those are the things that are most relevant to the position you are applying for).

Personally, I have several different resume's that show varying bullet points ... just depends on the position I am posting for at the time.  I have been at my company for 7+ years ... but I always look so I know what my options are  :)

Good Luck!!!
Christine

Liz R.
on 8/27/08 8:40 pm - Easton, PA
Pam - going through this myself - I was told to list the bullets - I can send you mine if you would like to see it - it is just supposed to initiate an interview and thats where you give 'em the goods!

Good luck with LVH! Any luck on finding apts? Let me know if I cna help in anyway.

Liz
Pam Hart
on 8/27/08 10:42 pm - Easton, PA
My best friend lives in fleetwood and went to the reading eagle website and told me there were at least 3 houses in the area (blandon....and I forget where else) that were 2-3 bedrooms, one with a garage ranging from 700 - 1000/month which sound good.  I have not contacted them cause I don't know when we'll be moving out there (and we can't move until I am secured a position and start date at lvh) but at least I know there are options out there.

Thanks liz!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 8/27/08 10:47 pm - Easton, PA
Just a side note - not sure if you are considering buying - the house next to us was just reduced from $232k to $209k, we bought our house in the beginning of the yer for $200k with 0 down and are paying about $1600 a month including our taxes and homeowners insurance. just a thought.

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views