Would like some feedback on food and frequency

ladychief231
on 8/26/08 11:27 am - Douglassville, PA
Good Evening PA,

I'm wondering if I am eating too frequently. Am I grazing and heading for trouble? I am 5 months post-op. I am including what I ate today for you to review.

BF 6 am: 1/2 fage yogurt w/1/4c.fiberone and grapenuts

Snack 10 am: 1/2 c SF butterscotch protein pudding and CHIKE protein shake

Lunch 11 am: 1/2 turkey and cheese sand w/weigh****chers whole wheat bread no crust and little mayo

Snack: 1 pm the other half 1/2 turkey and cheese sand w/ww bread no crust and little mayo

snack 2 pm small bag of bugles

Dinner 8 pm: 1/2 of one a chicken tender. small banana.

This is about 700 calories. 60g protein, 50g carb, 18g fat

Should I continue the six small meals a day or should I try to weane myself to 3 meals and 1 snack.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

dcox94
on 8/26/08 11:55 am - North Wilmington, DE
You are doing good!  I would continue with the 6 meals...you keep your sugar levels in the body stable that way!  We don't eat enough to do justice for our health on the 3 meal plan.  I have tried to do it and I always feel lousy when I do.  I have not been able to do 6 but I can do 5 meals and as long as I space it right I feel really good.  I am over 4 years out and still practice the mini meals!  Don't fix what isn't broken.  Keep up the good work.

Debbie

Life is too short to eat lousy food!

Hugs and Fleece Blankets

425/209/1??

Nicole0216
on 8/26/08 12:19 pm - Lancaster, PA
I am no poster child for the right way to eat. What you have hear sounds fine, well I would leave out the bugles LOL.

I think 6 small meals are fine as long as they are planned and not eaten willy nilly. I have never even now been able to get enough food it at one settling to be able to meet my goals in 3 meals.

Pam Hart
on 8/26/08 9:23 pm - Easton, PA
I still do between 5-6 small meals a day.

I would try to space them at least 2 hours a part - as opposed to some of the one hour windows you have there.  Considering you probably take at least 15 minutes to eat - you are really only allowing about 30-45 minutes in between some of your meals and snacks and while that isn't all that big of a deal - it may end up to lead to grazing.

The bugles should probably be a no no.  Further out down the road they can easily help add weight on.  The chicken tender - how was it prepared?  I'd be a little cautious of breaded and fried.  I'm not saying you can't have this stuff - I'm saying jus****ch how much of it you have, especially all in one day.

Looks like you are doing fine.  If you notice yourself stalling often or not losing what you "should" be - cut out the carbs.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 8/26/08 9:47 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Teresa - I do 5-6 small meals a day and I'm a little over 6 months out. I try to space mine 2-2 1/2 hours apart - b'fast @ 6:15, snack @ 9:00; lunch @ 11:30; snack @ 2:00/2:30; dinner @ 6:00; and if I have another snack its around 8:30.

Everyone is right about the bugles but I'm not one to preach since I like the salty crunchy snacks, too - however, I don't eat bread - can't tolerate it. Sometimes I'll have a lo-carb ww wrap to make a sandwich or something like that.

I think most doctors recommend the 5-6 small meals a day so stick with that schedule if you can. Once you're in the pattern it works pretty good and for me it keeps me from over-eating at any given time.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
ladychief231
on 8/26/08 10:07 pm - Douglassville, PA
Thanks everyone!

Bugels--
I knew and know I should not have them but had to be honest and list them. It's on a rare occasion that I have a snack like that.
Chicken tender- it was a skinless tender that I baked in some broth. I'm trying to eat more meat but I struggle. As you can see I could only eat 1/2 of it which was about 4 tiny pieces.
Moving forward I will try to space out the meals as suggested.

One other point I for got to mention is that I am exercising  everyday. Last night I rode 15 miles on my bike at 13 mph which is a vigerous workout for me. Fitday.com estimates that I burned 500 calories so I wonder if  I am eating enough? I do stall often and I think I lose slowly. On average I lose 10 pounds a month. For August I'm only at 6 pounds so I'm a bit disheartened.

Thank you for your replys.
Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

jojobear98
on 8/26/08 10:21 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I personally eat every 2-3 hours. I need to or I don't feel well. I just try to make sure what I do eat are the things I need. We all have the snack or food choice occasionally that we shouldn't. We are human, and food is good! It's hard.

I sometimes feel like it's grazing too. But when I eat a small meal, even a slow as I eat, I still need something within the next 2-3 hours. I think it's more about what you are eating than when you are eating.

My Nutritionist told me from the beginning to eat every few hours. Now that was a long time ago compared to most of you , but I still follow that.
Shannon O.
on 8/26/08 11:05 pm - Reading, PA
I would add a protein shake so you are getting all your protein in, plus give you a few extra calories as well...

The nuts told me to eat more because of what I was burning off... and well it really hasn't helped at all to be honest... all I did was gain more weight... or what I think is worseis I was told over and over and over EAT MORE and now I can eat more and that is really scary... I honestly don't think they know how to balance the way some of us kick butt working out so you will need to do some experimenting on your own... to see what will help break your stalls...

Laureen S.
on 8/27/08 1:12 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Teresa,

Have you tried any of the soy crisps, they are a good alternative to bugles, nice and crunchy and a source of protein as well, the cheddar and sea salt are pretty good, too. . .  otherwise I don't think what you are doing is so out of range, and yes, you should try to space out your meals to 2-1/2 to 3 hour intervals. . . 

I have stalled frequently and like you, I averaged about 10 lbs a month, seemed like just around my anniversary of surgery date, the scale moved, though the last couple of months I am hardly losing any weight, so, if you haven't done so, please measure as many times my tape measure shows what the scale does not and I would further suggest asking the NUT what he/she feels about your caloric intake, as to whether you are getting in enough for your activity level and such.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/27/08 4:08 am
4, 5 or 6 meals a day is okay, but you must put at least 2-3 hours between them and keep liquids to 5 minutes before and 30 minutes after.  If you are feeling hungry sticking to the schedule, start putting your liquids further apart from your food.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views