What do I need to bring to the hospital?

Jackie Smith
on 8/25/08 10:12 pm - Coatesville, PA
(Barix on Aug 27th)

Any suggestions would be great.  Do we were a hospital gown the whole time?  Do they have wireless?  I get a cople of childrens sippy cups.  My 11 year old made sure I got the ones with out any kiddy stuff on them! 

Thanks, Jackie
jojobear98
on 8/25/08 10:18 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I personally only took basics like hygeine products, socks and slippers, undies and big comfy sweats and tee to go home in. I was in a gown the whole time until the day I was discharged. But it may be differnet there. I am sure some people who have had the surgery there will be able to be more detailed.

All I cared about was brushing my teeth, and clean undies! LOL.
dit657
on 8/25/08 10:19 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I didn't drag a lot of stuff to the hospital - you can take a laptop and your cell phone. I wore the gowns for the first couple of days only because I got my 'friend' while I was in and it was easier to deal with. I think I had some magazines but honestly if you're not walking you'll probably be dozing or having visitors or nurses around you. For me the time went by very quickly, but then again I'm used to longer hospital stays since I've had both knees replaced and was in for 8-10 days each time.

They will provide things like combs, toothbrush and toothpaste but you may prefer your own. I wouldn't overload on taking stuff - just that much more to forget when going home...

Best wishes to you, Jackie - you'll do great!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 8/25/08 10:37 pm - Easton, PA
Jackie - I brought my robe and some jammies, they will let you wear your own clothes the second day. Slippers, my pillow. I also brought my --pod and was so glad that I did I had the room mate from hell! I had magazines and a book but never opened them. I would bring pads with you, chances are the surgery will bring on your period and theirs are like phonebooks! You can use your cell in the rooms too so I had mine. Don't really need too much - they will give you a toiletries bag of essentials. Oh and I had something to pull my hair back too, to keep it out of my eyes.

Best of luck tomorrow - can't wait to see you on the other side! You are in the best of hands!!

Liz
keri2008
on 8/25/08 10:48 pm - PA
Hey Jackie!  We're almost there!!!!!!

I am wearing a comfy outfit (tee-shirt and sweatshorts) and will wear that home, a blanket my daughter made me, my pillow, my iPod (loaded with books and songs), pads (in case!), underwear and slippers.  That's it!!!  ROFL.  See you there!

Keri

Pam Hart
on 8/25/08 11:35 pm - Easton, PA
I brought:

Changes of underwear, socks (a few extra undies as I had my friend as well)
Pads (they won't let you wear tampons by the way....increased chance of infection especially being in a hospital setting)
Loose fitting pajamas
My own personal hygeine stuff (comb, shampoo, soap, deoderant, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash)  They will give you that stuff (along with pads) but I just liked having my own!
Chapstick - my lips were so dry in the hospital I was glad to have that and my mouthwash
iPod/Cell phone (and chargers)  Thank goodness!!
They did not have wireless while I was there - but in all honesty - but I wouldn't have used my computer anyway
Magazines - but I couldn't concentrate on them and basically just looked at the pictures like a little kid
My own pillow (I am like a little kid and bring it everywhere I go)

**You will also greatly benefit from having a nonskid easy slip on shoe (like a sandal or something) for walking the halls.  That way you don't have to worry about bending down or having someone put them on for you.  I guess the slipper socks from the hospital would be ok for that as well......**

You guys will do great!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
*Jennifer Juniper*
on 8/26/08 11:34 am - Philly Girl, PA
CHAPSTICK!!!! :) Jennifer*

"If you see a man on top of a mountain, he did not fall there"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views