Just curious

jojobear98
on 8/24/08 6:07 am - Gettysburg, PA
My boss and I were eating lunch the other day and actually talking about weight loss surgery. She is getting hers done in a few months. And she says to me. "My doc says I am not allowed to eat before or during meals. How come I see you sip while eating?"

Oh my! over the last few years I got that habit back and didn't even realize it! Now I am trying to be concious of it but can someone please remind me why that is? I forget!
Pam Hart
on 8/24/08 6:13 am - Easton, PA
Drinking 10 mins before, during, and up to 30 minutes after causes the food in your pouch to more readily "slide through"  This leads to less time feeling satisfied, and allows any carbs you eat to be readily absorbed by the small intestines (carbs and liquid make a slushy mess that your intestines are more than willing to suck up) 

Meanwhile protein and vitamins/nutrients which are harder for the intestines to absorb anyway just slide through fairly quickly, not allowing the body to absorb them.

Also - it can take up room in the pouch so you may be able to eat less at a sitting.

It's funny how little things like that creep back into daily habits.  I have done it too - and I'm less than a year out!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 8/24/08 7:15 am - Lancaster, PA
They do creep back in. I usually dont drink while I am eating but i sometimes have trouble waiting a whole 30 mins after.
Marlo71
on 8/24/08 7:42 am - Harrisburg, PA
UM, my dear JoJoBear do you mean "My doc says I am not allowed to DRINK before or during meals" ?  HEHE  Because if she cant eat during meals, that will make life pretty difficult...LOL 

ok just busting ya, I got a kick outta that! 

-Marlo 

jojobear98
on 8/24/08 10:25 am - Gettysburg, PA
Yes Marlo......my favorite SMARTA$$.......LOL.

I can't type as fast as I can think so I tend to mix up what I am saying.

And thanks for the info everyone. I forgot about all that. Have to try and keep my butt straight with that one.
Pam Hart
on 8/24/08 12:26 pm - Easton, PA

I had caught that too - didn't know how to work it into a joke....very good marlo, very good!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Marlo71
on 8/24/08 10:43 pm, edited 8/24/08 10:44 pm - Harrisburg, PA
hehehehehe

And I think that will be one of the hardest things for me, is not drinking during meals....I tend to drink alot during meals and after every bite.  But in 2 weeks I guess I will find out!  ARGHHHHH!!!!! 

-Marlo 

evrblue
on 8/25/08 7:19 am - McConnellsburg, PA
The No Drinking rule has got me worried too. As pre-op.

I'm diabetic, and I have to have something, usually herbal tea or crystal light, with me at all times because I am always thirsty. I also drink a lot with meals.

It's actually uncomfortable for me to go too long without a sip of something- mouth gets dry and everything starts sticking together. I use a "mouth moisturizer" gel as needed but it tastes terrible and dosen't last very long. I also use a moisturizing mouthwash.

And of course I have a drink on the nightstand and take a sip whenever I wake up to go pee, which you know is often.

I am hoping I can make peace with the no drink rule. What must be, must be~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views