Proposed Chat Group on Beck Solution

Nicole0216
on 8/24/08 7:57 am - Lancaster, PA
OK so some of us have discussed this and thought it may be a good thing to do via chat room. I am a psychotherapist as well as post op and I have a group that can be run for 8 weeks based on the Beck Diet Solution Book.  I have agrreed to facilitate a chat online here in the PA Board Chat room 1 time a week to help people who are reading the book and following the program. I initially suggested doing it on Wed nights no sure why I did that because I work.

So this is what I propose, if you want to do this group you will need to purchase the book. You can get it online and maybe even at Barnes and Noble. It is called the Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. We will begin the group on Tuesday Sept. 9th at 9:30pm. in the PA board chat room for 1/2 hr. If that is too late let me know. I will want you to have read the introduction and have gotten your supplies IE ; notebook or index cards by then. The first night will be a discussion of the plan and then you will begin day one of the program on wed.

if you would like to participate or have any questions please feel free to let me know. See you then.
Shannon O.
on 8/24/08 9:53 am - Reading, PA
I'm interested in the book... but need to wait before I can buy it... like a month... but I am going to see for now if the library has it tomorrow...

jackie j
on 8/24/08 10:23 am - Glenmoore, PA
Nic, I'm onboard.   Just re-read my Chap 1 tonight.  There are some good points in there; things we forget.   See ya online.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Gail M.
on 8/24/08 11:30 am - Scranton, PA
Nicole,
   Fill me in on the Beck Diet Book.  I never heard of it.  What does it entail and how does it relate to WLS?  Also, what is a psychotherapist?  I'm psycho and can use a therapist!!!
Gail

Nicole0216
on 8/24/08 12:06 pm - Lancaster, PA
Gail hmm, well a psychotherapist is someone who provides therapy for emotional, mental or substance abuse related illness. A counselor, therapist, etc. The book is about changing the way we relate to foods and how we are triggered by our environment, as well as the negative thoughts that we have. It is based on cognitive behavioral therapy. It is not directly related to WLS. but it still holds true in theory and practice. What the book does is takes you on a 6 week journey of daily excercises to teach you to retrain your brain in regards to emotional eating. The book is geared towards helping people who plan to go on a diet finally suceed because it addresses the emotions underneath the abuse of food. I believe it is relevant to WLS because we are not dieting but we still need to retrain our brain and thoughts about food. I dont know about you but I feel like I am on a diet now, I really have to be careful and the lbs dont come off very fast or easy anymore. I am having to address my behaviors and emotions like never before. This is a group that usually costs about $110 to participate in but since I love you all, and really believe in the concepts I am willing to do this via chat as long as people will buy the book, read it and participate.
I hope this helps.
Gail M.
on 8/24/08 1:13 pm - Scranton, PA
Nicole,
   I am going to purchase the book.  I believe (at least for me) that one of the biggest reason why I let myself get as large as I was is mainly because of emotions.  A lot of people turn to food to take the place of something else in their lives or to give them comfort.
   Can you please PM me a couple of nights before to remind me?  I'm not very good at reading all the posts everynight.
Gail

Nicole0216
on 8/24/08 1:18 pm - Lancaster, PA
I will do my best to remember to PM people. I think this will help you.
keri2008
on 8/24/08 11:31 pm - PA
I'm in!  The late hour might be tough for me but I'll figure out a way.  I  already have the book, workbook and all supplies.  :0)  I'm ready and raring to go!  Thanks so much for doing this Nicole.

Keri
Patti M.
on 8/25/08 12:28 am
Hi Nicole!

I'm in, I just ordered my book from Amazon....now I just have to hope it doesn't take too long to get here! 
Patti      
newburgusa
on 8/25/08 9:57 am - PA

Sounds great. I'll be there. Theresa M

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views