Eating too fast... any hints to slow down.

evrblue
on 8/24/08 10:08 pm - McConnellsburg, PA
I'm still pre-op but I tend to eat fast too. For me I think it is the emotional eating = instant gratification thing.

Here are some things I have been trying:

No drive throughs- even for a drink. If I want it I make my big butt get outta the car and go get it.

No eating in the car, while watching TV, while on the computer or while reading.

Sitting at the dining room table with a place mat, a "real" (not paper) plate and a glass, silverware and a napkin as often as possible. Put on nice music. Make a meal an experience to be enjoyed, like a ritual.

Putting down the fork after each bite and chewing chewing chewing...

Stop when you feel satisfied, not stuffed to the gills. This is still hard for me.
As a child I was brought up to "clean my plate". This is especially true in eating out, so I have learned to ask the waiter for a box at the beginning of a meal, and I put half of the meal in the box immediately for take home, and enjoy the other half. Stop when you are two bites away from full/satisfied.

Really being present in the moment when you are eating- like wine tasting I guess, or a food critic...First, enjoy the smell of the food, then think about how it looks on the plate. Think about where the food came from (farm, garden, the paticular animal if you eat meat ( I always silently thank the animal for giving it's life to nourish my body). If you pray or give thanks, do that. Then taste each bite seperately. The texture, the temperature, the different flavors in your mouth as you chew, etc. Make a little ritual out of each bite. It may sound silly, but this has helped me.

I've never timed myself but I should start to see how it works for me.~

Gail M.
on 8/25/08 12:33 pm - Scranton, PA
Thanks Jen,
   I'm going to try the suggestion of sitting at the table with a placemat and plate etc...  My girls and I have gotten into a bad habit of eating in the family room.  This is mainly when it happens.  I do eat in my car because I'm a mobile tech and my day revolves around driving from one facility to another.  I usually have my little cooler with yogurt and drinks in it.  The problem usually happens at home so I think eating at the table will help.
Gail

J. M.
on 8/24/08 10:55 pm
I know this is not recommended, but I used to (and sometimes still do), do the dishes while i eat. ...sit down, eat a few forkfuls, get up and do some dishes, go back and eat a little more, do some more dishes.......or alternate between eating and some sort of activity.  Worked for me : )

Good luck

~ Jen   

Gail M.
on 8/25/08 12:35 pm - Scranton, PA
Never thought of that.  Maybe feeding the dog and getting her fresh water at this time will help.  Thanks for the suggestion and I love your ticker!

Laureen S.
on 8/25/08 12:21 am - Maple Shade, NJ
I have had the same problem, which leads to uncomfortability and sometimes my having to get rid of what I ate.  Most of the time I'm ok at home, it's when I'm eating in a social setting that I either eat too quickly or don't chew well enough. . .  someone suggested putting my fork down and to silently count to 25 while chewing my food, this allows the food to be chewed better as well keeping me cognizant of the fact I am eating, it works, but once in a while I still forget, mostly when I've gone too long without eating. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Gail M.
on 8/25/08 12:37 pm - Scranton, PA
Yes that does work.  I've done it a few times.  But you're like me...I forget.  I'm really going to remember to slow down a bit.  It's always rush, rush, rush!!

Ample Beauty
on 9/2/08 8:03 pm - central, VA
I used a baby spoon, and chewed everything to a liquid. 

No longer a problem, BTW -- but that is one of the glories of the DS ...  I understand it is a life long issue with the RNY

Ample, the Hybrid Caddy -- 488 (76.4)/146(22.8)/140-ish
12/11/2005 Hit by a truck - wt 435/BMI 68     
1/24/2006 VBG w/sleeve - Dr. Elariny

12/5/2006 Revision to D/S and Adjustable Band - Dr. Elariny,
wt 286/BMI 46
7/30/2008 LBL; 10/13/2008 UBL; 12/29/2008 Lipo: Dr Krieger
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views