Eating too fast... any hints to slow down.

Gail M.
on 8/24/08 7:34 am - Scranton, PA
   One of my main problems is that I eat entirely way too fast.  If anyone has hints on how to slow it down I would appreciate it.  I will try any suggestions.  It seems like I start eating and I forget that I had this surgery.  Before I realize it I have that fullness feeling underneath my braline. That is why I have to make it come up....
  OLD HABITS DO NOT DIE QUICKLY!!!
gAIL

dit657
on 8/24/08 7:40 am - Boothwyn, PA

Hi Gail - I had that problem too - I didn't get an egg timer but made sure I had a watch or clock close by and counted out 2 minutes between bites. The good part is it works, plus you'll get that 'full' feeling before it gets out of hand. The down side is you'll be eating cold food for a while - its just the way it is.

Now I don't have to wait as long and find myself eating too fast sometimes and getting that 'stuffed' feeling, so I try to make sure I put my fork down and wait at least a minute between bites.

Old habits do die hard, but we can make new ones - my nutritionist outside of Barix told me it takes 4-6 weeks to form any habit, good or bad - so give yourself some time and practice at eating slower and timing yourself between bites.

You can do it - I did - it just takes some practice.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Gail M.
on 8/24/08 8:40 am - Scranton, PA
Kathy,
  4-6 weeks is tough but I believe it probably does take that long.  I just forget and start woofing it down.  I'm going to try to remember to do the 2 minutes and take it from there.
Thank you

peace013061
on 8/24/08 7:43 am - Connellsville, PA
I have not been scheduled for my surgery just starting my testing etc, but I think it may help putting fork down betwen bites and not picking it back up til you swallow.
hope that don't sound stupid.
Tough times don't create character tough times reveal character.

Gail M.
on 8/24/08 8:43 am - Scranton, PA
  No that doesn't sound stupid at all.  It's trying to remember to do it.  I honestly believe that because I come from a family of 8 we all eat extremely fast.  Kind of like if we didn't there would be none left.  I'm going to put down the fork between bites and time myself. 
Thank you

keri2008
on 8/24/08 7:58 am - PA
I'm having surgery on in three days!!  BUT I have always been a very fast eater.  It's a killer to break.  Putting the fork down in between has helped me a lot (in prep for post-op), it makes me more conscious while I'm eating which is what is my problem.  I can't believe how much goes through my mind and how totally un-present I am with my food.  Kathy's suggestions sound wonderful - will just have to get used to cold food!  I'm sure more will post great suggestions but from me just try to stay conscious and in the moment for every bite.

Keri
Gail M.
on 8/24/08 8:49 am - Scranton, PA
Keri,
  Good luck with your surgery.  It was the best thing I ever did.  My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.  I watched this website for many years before I made the decision to go ahead with it.  Just make sure that you walk alot after the surgery.  I truly believe that helped my recovery.
  I will have to eat slower.  That is the only problem I am having.
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Gail

keri2008
on 8/24/08 11:38 pm - PA
Thank you Gail!  I'm excited, nervous and in a state of general agitation (can't sit still, etc.).  Right now I'm focusing on sending prayer sand good vibes to Lesley and Melanie who are having surgery this morning (Go girls - heading to the loser's bench!).  It's good to hear about the walking, people have been mentioning that they felt better if they started as oon as possible.  I am making plans to start out with time limits and to increase every 5 days or so because my knees hurt. 

Keri
Pam Hart
on 8/24/08 12:30 pm - Easton, PA
Gail,

I eat to fast when I am at home.  What I have started doing is keeping myself occupied with something else.  Do the dishes - straighten up - check the boards - anything.  That way I take a bite and I do something else.

It dawned on me that I always would get over full at home, never at work.  Which at first surprised me - cause I'm so much busier at work, I thought I would be eating faster there.  But what I have noticed myself doing at work (which works well) is take a bite and then get up and go do something with a patient, come back, take another bite, and do some charting.  So actually - I am spacing things out better while I am there.

I have heard of LOTS of people using an egg timer or watch like Kathy does.  Take a bite, chew chew chew chew, and swallow and start the timer.  That way it is actually 2 minutes before you are taking another bite.  Yes, it takes awhile to eat this way, and yes, the food gets cold....but at least you aren't feeling like you have to bring it up.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Gail M.
on 8/24/08 1:06 pm - Scranton, PA
Pam,
   I do much better at work because I usually have a yogurt and my protein drink.  It's my dinner that I have a problem with.  Oh and yesterday I drove through Wendys and got a snack wrap and woofed down the chicken from it like there was no tomorrow.  Eating in my car is not good!
Gail

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views