Rice??

lauraanne715
on 8/23/08 4:58 am - Pottstown, PA
Can anyone please explain to me---Why is rice such a no-no?

Thanx!

Much luv!
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

BlancheJackson
on 8/23/08 5:16 am - Butler, PA
Per my surgeon... 2 reasons:

It's a carbohydrate.

Also, rice can expand in your pouch, making you very uncomfortable.

However, I eat rice... I just cook it very well first and make sure I have my protein first!!

Blanche Jackson    352/314/258.6/180  

Pam Hart
on 8/23/08 5:18 am - Easton, PA
I can tell you that I personally have had LOTS of problems with rice.  Rice is hard to chew down into what we are used to.  I find that it also feels like it expands in my pouch or something...I've tried it a few times (I wasn't told it was a no no except that it's a carb and we are to always concentrate on protein.....) and have had the foamies for quite some time afterwards.  Susan had some awhile back and it came up on her, too.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 8/23/08 7:43 am - Drexel Hill, PA
yikes....
GD_007
on 8/23/08 7:38 am - Drexel Hill, PA
You know - when a pre-op asks me "what did you wish you knew before the surgery" my answer will be RICE.

I'm glad you asked.

I heard the expansion reason and I said to the nutritionist "but it doesn't expand after you've cooked it.  I'm not going to eat it raw."  Then I got the protein speach - I get it, I get it, I get it - I know about protein but no rice - please.  It's not like I'm asking about a Whopper with cheese nor am I  talking about even a full cup of fried rice.  I'm talking about 3 pieces from an 8 piece sushi roll.

My wife's heritage is Asian ...and I like sushi.  I pray to GOD that I don't get the "foamies" from rice.

I'll let you know when I get to solid foods - in mid-September.

-GD

bubble273
on 8/23/08 8:20 am - Levittown, PA
Hey Greg,

Just wanted to remind you that everyone is different.  And just because one person or a few people can't have rice doesn't mean that you won't be able to.  I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to reiterate it for you.  I eat rice and pasta and have no problem.  I haven't had white rice, but I've had some fried rice and Carolina chicken flavored rice.  And I make baked ziti and do fine with it.  Even when it's cold...yummo!!!  So unless you try it you will never know.  When it does come time for you to try, just take it slow.  You'll basically know within 15 minutes whether your pouch is happy about you trying to give it rice :)

Karen

GD_007
on 8/23/08 12:34 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Karen!

I'm not planning on testing myself with foods that most would consider bad - i've never been a carb-a-holic or anything.  

I'll take it nice and slow. 

-GD

J. M.
on 8/23/08 9:23 am
GD- You are so paranoid about foamies...LOL. Too funny.  Please let me be the first to know when/if it happens. Im sure you will be okay, but you made me chuckle.

BTW- i eat sushi and dont really have a problem. it hardly makes me feel full. however, regulat rice as a side does.  strange

~ Jen   

Pam Hart
on 8/23/08 12:20 pm - Easton, PA
Karen is right....everyone tolerates food differently and take it slow - you may not want to try rice early out on solids.  As has been said here - there are people who tolerate the rice without a problem.

As far as the expansion thing - if after you cook rice you put it in water and let it sit - I promise you it will expand.  Same thing with pasta (although I've had small servings of pasta and have done fine with it)

Don't worry - you'll be alright!!  I know a few people on this board who love sushi....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 8/23/08 12:28 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
hummmm....sounds like the kinda science experiment I just might enjoy doing.... 

Thanks for the info.  Sushi is not what I have planned for my first solid meal .....but it's darn close.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views