Trader Joe's rocks. Simple as that.

GD_007
on 8/23/08 12:49 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Being on the pureed diet for one more week all I gotta say is that Trader Joe's rocks.  They have some excellent sauces (all tolerable for us RNY folks) that I'm gonna blend up with chicken.  Tonight, for example, I had an Indian eggplant dish that I blended up with white chicken meat (and some organic vegtable broth).  It was awesome, slightly spicy, and oh so good.  I enjoyed all 3/4 cups of it!!

I'm enojying shopping now even if I look like a goof spending about an hour reading all the labels ...hahaha. 

-GD

http://www.traderjoes.com/index.html
J. M.
on 8/23/08 2:57 pm
Oh yes. It's my favorite!

Try the turkey meatballs. protein goodness! oh yes, and the sushi rolls....lol, but ya might wanna wait a while.

I <3 Trader Joe

~ Jen   

GD_007
on 8/24/08 11:32 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Jen,

I saw the meatballs and actually thought of the threaded discussion from a week or so ago.....damb, maybe I am getting hooked to this message board. 

As for sushi, I'm a sushi-snob (and admitting it is the first step to recovery).  I think my first post-op sushi experience (and my mouth waters as I type this) will be in a very controlled setting, with a bathroom close by, a stop watch, running shoes, and perhaps my rosary beads 

-GD
jdruski
on 8/24/08 3:40 am - Philadelphia, PA
I absolutely agree about Trader Joes.  When I was on pureed I lived on tuna, salmon and chicken thighs.  I found a recipe in the WLS cookbook that is so simple and it got me through those pureed weeks.

You take equal parts no fat sour cream (greek yogurt works also), lite or ff mayo, soy sauce to taste and packet of sweetner.  Then you add wasabi paste or powder ( I use the paste, easier to mix) or you could use regular horseradius.  Mix a small amount in a small food processor with the tuna, cooked or grilled chicken or salmon.  It is out of this world.  I take this for lunch at least once a month.

Jeanne
Gail M.
on 8/24/08 7:30 am - Scranton, PA
  We don't have Trader Joes up here but I think I'm going to check it out next time I'm in the Philly area.
   What do you guys mainly buy from there?  Also the Indian eggplant dish sounds good.  I'd love the recipe.
Gail

GD_007
on 8/24/08 11:20 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Gail,
Yes - the eggplant dish not only sounds good but it tastes great!

So far I've only purchased various sauces for blending and some canned fish.  In the "old days" I used to get the Wasabi Peas (happy to see sugar is #6 on the ingredient list).

-GD
Sheri A.
on 8/24/08 9:15 am
Just went to TJ's earlier with another bariatric friend. I bought 2 containers of Greek yogurt since finding out from my nutritionist that Dannon Lite & Fit now contains fructose! also bought some frozen asparagus, ff half and half, and a jar of marina sauce, 50 cal for a half cup and 3 gr. of sugar! TJ's is an awesome place and I'm so lucky it's right in my little town!
GD_007
on 8/24/08 11:23 am - Drexel Hill, PA
hummmm.....and I have a fridge full of it now (Dannon Light -n- Fit).  I'll have to deouble check my "bad sugar" list tommorow with one of them in my hand.  Either way, I'm into new things and experiences    so I guess I'll try Greek yogurt next.

-GD

Gail M.
on 8/24/08 1:02 pm - Scranton, PA
I have a Light N Fit daily.  It's just so darn expensive!

sbrunell
on 8/24/08 11:49 am - Bensalem, PA
You and your food bill are in luck. Fructose is ok for us Barix Babies!
It's on the list, so Enjoy!
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA