Home and sitting/walking/sipping on the losers bench!

Laura D.
on 8/22/08 9:52 am - Pottstown, PA
My surgery was on Tues. and I have been home for 1 1/2 days.  All is well.  I want to thank all the "losers" who visited me at Barix.  That meant more to me then you can imagine and helped give me such support.  Thank you again   I plan on paying it forward!

I was able to get in all my fluids today and half the proteins so that in itself made me feel much more energized.  Just getting a full night of rest last night  was lovely! 

I'm looking forward to the upcoming days and the changes that are ahead.

Of course...there is some questions....my hands/wrists feel as though I have horrible arthritis all of a sudden.  I woke up this way.  They are a little swollen and just hurt and ache.  I'm assuming from the IV?
Are sharp pains on the left side common after this with Pupkova?  It will just hit me out of the blue and almost knocks me off my feet.  It's like a pulling/gassy feeling.  The gasses are finally moving so I'm thinking it is that plus having major surgery this would be common?

jovigirl
on 8/22/08 9:59 am - washington, NJ
LAura,glad all went well.Yes left sidded pain is normal & it sucks!Dr P said that she puts extra stitches in the muscles there & I believe thats where the biggest instruments go in.Try a heating pad.You will find as bad as it can be it will all of a sudden be gone.Remember don't over do it.That was the worst part for me but after a few weeks it was gone & knock wood no pain since.Good luck on your journey

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

Nicole0216
on 8/22/08 11:33 am - Lancaster, PA
welcome to the losers bench.
Pam Hart
on 8/22/08 11:51 am - Easton, PA
Laura,

I was glad to read updates on you this week! 

Depending on where the iv was, yes, the wrist pain can be related to that.  The swelling should go down - as you probably gained water weight in the hospital and it comes off within a week of being home.

That left sided pain - I remember it well.  Be prepared for it to hang around for awhile.  In fact, in my case, mine lasted for 2 weeks pretty steady.  Then it went away for a week and just as I was certain I was all done with it - it came back in the third week!  The lower left side is where Dr. P puts her larger instrument and goes through deep muscle tissue.  She also uses deep internal sutures which is why it burns and pulls at some times - its the muscles pulling on the internal sutures.

I remember how great it was to sleep through the night - it was an amazing feeling.  Just make sure you continue to sip and walk and breathe!!

Welcome to the bench!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 8/22/08 5:24 pm - Perry, MI
Welcome home and welcome to the Loser's Bench. 

Keep up the sipping, walking and resting.  Remember, there will be really good days, followed by some sucky days.  Don't overdo when you have the good days.  Pace yourself with your walking and getting out and about.  Remember the no lifting anything heavy rule, I had trouble with that one too many times. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

dit657
on 8/22/08 10:21 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Laura - welcome home!! It was so nice meeting you last week - you looked great! Its all uphill from here. You'll have some odd aches and pains - most are nothing to worry about but if something becomes persistent call Barix right away.

Welcome to the Loser's Side of life - the first time you'll be happy someone calls you a 'loser'!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
peace013061
on 8/22/08 11:08 pm - Connellsville, PA

I am so happy for you and can't wait for the day .
 HUGS
I love this board because for those who are hoping to have surgery this is all just so helpful.

Tough times don't create character tough times reveal character.

Lesley G.
on 8/22/08 11:22 pm - Allegan, MI
Congrats!  Glad to hear you're home and doing well.
keri2008
on 8/23/08 10:45 pm - PA
Tomorrow is the big day!!!!  I am so excited for you.  I hope to see you when I am there Wednesday but if not, relax, you're going to do great!

Keri
Laureen S.
on 8/23/08 12:01 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Laura,

So happy to see your post and it was great meeting you on Wednesday evening after the support group!

You sound as though your recovery process is going as it should be, and everyone pretty much summed up that what you are experiencing is pretty standard, including the left-sided pain, which can last a couple of weeks.  As we said the other night, you might feel really great now, be careful not to overdo, because while Lap RNY is less invasive, it is still major surgery and you need to rest, along with sipping and moving about.

Hugs and can't wait to see you at Barix in mid-September!  Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views