How I'm Doing. . .

Laureen S.
on 8/20/08 12:28 am - Maple Shade, NJ
I have been MIA for the last couple of weeks, busy with life stuff, but also trying to come to a place of peace within myself, as this stall, which is the longest to date, has me in a very conflicted mental state. 

One part of me says ok, you are healthier and more physically capable then at any time in the last 20 years and the other part of me fears not making it to my personal goal and therefore failing, because in the past I never made it to goal either and then I gained all my weight and always more.  It is possible, I see others 18 months out and further gaining weight back, that absolutely terrifies me.  I want a cushion of weight loss, I want my personal goal to be achieved, it is not something so low that I will look emaciated, I want to be a normal weight for the rest of my days and I am truly scared it will not happen for me. 

I have been hungry more often lately and while I mostly make healthy choices, there are some times when I give in to a temptation, on a small level, and I generally only allow myself a little leeway on days I know I am going to be working out, but it seems I cannot get away with anything even on that small level, as the scale has not moved below 177 for well over a month now and my measurements have not changed either.  My friends have said they are nervous about my obsessive fear of gaining weight turning into something bigger, I guess I am starting to feel that way too, I think it's time to find a therapist to help me get through these feelings. 

Anyway, I have missed you guys, been keeping abreast somewhat by lurking, just haven't felt like I had anything to bring to the party, but I also know that keeping silent is not necessarily a good thing, so now you all know what's been going on with me. . .

Prayers, hugs and positive thoughts to all, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 8/20/08 1:13 am - Easton, PA
Hey darling,

Hang in there and don't beat yourself up.  Easier said than done - I understand that whole heartedly.  If Nan can still be losing weight 2 years later - you will certainly break this stall and end up where you want to be.  I'm glad you recognize that you are healtheir than you've been, that you recognize you may need some way to work through these feelings, and that you are open and honest about them here.

i will miss you tonight as I won't be at the meeting - but hopefully we'll get to catch up in September!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Laureen S.
on 8/20/08 1:29 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hey Pam,

I can always count on you for encouragement, thanks and I'm hanging in and yes, people like Nan definitely keep me hopeful, however, there are the moments where the negativity creeps up and feels like a blanket I can't shake off. . .  again, thanks, you'll be missed this evening, but see you next month.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

Nicole0216
on 8/20/08 2:41 am - Lancaster, PA
I understand where you are, i have struggled with this myself and still do. We have failed so many times it is hard to see the end of the journey or to be convinced that we will make it. You will make it. I am almost 2 years out and still have 30 more to go. Things move slower at the end. I promise you if you try keeping a positive attitude and combat those negative cognitions with positive responses it will be ok.
Laureen S.
on 8/20/08 3:14 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks Nicole, I appreciate your encouragement and I recognize that this is a journey, with no end, which is how Shauna coined the word "successing" and while I try to take the high road and keep myself positive, hot damn, I'm only human after all (lol). . .  Thanks again!

Hugs, Laureen

jackie j
on 8/20/08 3:01 am - Glenmoore, PA
I'm so pissed.  I just wrote you this whole cheerleading post and then hit the wrong button and deleted it by accident.   Point being, don't beat yourself up.  You've done great, you are following the normal path and that path gets a little rough further on.   I think seeing the therapist might help you.  More so, I think getting or seeing a personal coach (not just a trainer) might help more to get you to the next level.   Your body's in the best shape its been in but now it's getting used to it so it needs to get to another level and that might require someone to push you positively in that direction.   Your mind has to teach your body who's in charge and that means boosting the metabolism; you'll probably need more weighlifting than you really feel comfortable with too.  From everything and everyone I know in this boat we all do cardio of some type but its not working for us, we all need to advance to the next level.   Hang in there and keep working it.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Laureen S.
on 8/20/08 3:21 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the "cheerleading". . .  may I ask what a personal coach is and where I would go about finding one?  I'm certainly willing to give everything a try, my new personal trainer is putting my muscles to good use, as he was my previous trainer's trainer and she is one well tuned woman, so I'm doing the weights thing, though right now I'm having some left sided pain, shoulder, hip and knee, which is dampening my workout ability, but I won't quit, I hear the voices of Norm and Andy and I'm not a quitter is my mantra.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to encourage me and I hope to see you somewhere soon. . .

Hugs, Laureen

jackie j
on 8/21/08 8:09 am - Glenmoore, PA
A personal coach is kindof a cross between a mentor/therapist and trainer.  They help you make a game plan to get to your goal and stick with you along the way.  Here's one guy that came up when I googled NJ...http://www.dunncoaching.com/services.html    They aren't cheap but then either are trainers.   Maybe we could just record Norm and Andy-isms to listen to on an ipod when working out.   Keep up the good work.  Hope to see you soon as well!

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/08 3:13 am
Hang in there Laureen!  I will be 2 years out next month and I am still losing....slowly...but still losing.  My body is holding on to the last 40 pounds and fighting me tooth and nail all the way.  It does get frustrating and sometimes I feel like giving up, but damnit!!  I want to claim those last 40 pounds as MINE!! I think seeing a therapist is a great idea.  No harm in reaching out for help when needed.

Keep up the great work!

HG
Laureen S.
on 8/20/08 3:32 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Heather,

Thanks for your encouragement and that's just it, sometimes the old feelings of giving up surface, I feel like after all this work, it still does not matter, so why keep on going. . .  hell, nothing I ever really wanted in life has come easy, which taught me to be a fighter, guess I need to harness some of that determination that I've used so many other times in my life. . .  Thanks again Heather!

Hugs, Laureen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views