How do you STOP losing????

Christine C.
on 8/19/08 10:26 pm - Port Deposit, MD
I can honestly say that I never thought I would be posting a thread about this topic  lol   but I can't seem to figure it out on my own so thought who best to reach out to?????  ;)

How in the world do you get the weight loss to STOP???  My goal (readjusted after I started seeing bones  lol) was 135 ... I have now hit 126 as of this morning.  I bought a pair of pants last night to wear to the office (typically I work from home so can wear shorts) and they were a SIZE 4!!!

Any thoughts and suggestions are definitely welcome  :)

Thanks for listening!!
Christine

dit657
on 8/19/08 10:43 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Well sadly I don't have this problem - seriously doubt I ever will but you never know. I think your best bet is to contact one of the Nuts at Barix and let them know what's going on - or even Dr P - I'm sure they don't want you that far below your target and can give you tips and ideas on healthy eating that stops the losing for you.

Of all the problems to have this doesn't seem like a terrible one but it could be, so be careful!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
keri2008
on 8/19/08 10:43 pm - PA
I haven't even had my surgery yet (the 25th, 7 days!!!) but I was just reading about this last night.  The best way according to the dietician who co-authored the book "Life After Gastric Bypass: 6 Steps to Ensure Your Weight Loss Success" says that you can add 1-2 snacks that have some carbohydrate in them.  She recommends Ensure or something similar.  The high levels of protein are what help you keep losing so balancing it out with a little more healthy carbohydrate will help you stop losing and maybe gain a tiny bit.

Keri
Christine C.
on 8/19/08 10:51 pm - Port Deposit, MD
Thank you ladies!  I have also started with weights as I'm sure that will help add pounds to the scale to "fool" my brain  lol   I'm not so concerned about the number on the scale ... but with the bones that I see now ... thats why I had changed my original goal from 125 to 135.  Numbers are numbers ... don't really mean anything honestly.  But I also know that I don't want to go from one extreme to the other.  People keep telling me that my body won't let me lose more than it can take ... but then I stop and think about all of the people that are anorexic so I find it hard to believe that statement 
Christine

keri2008
on 8/20/08 12:10 am - PA
I agree, to a large degree (pardon the pun) it's not about the numbers.  It's about being healthy.  Muscle weight will help but I highly recommend the book I am ready.  The first 1/2 or so is Jerry's "story" as a Roux-en-Y patient but the other 1/2 is all her.  He highly recommends her and I have to say I couldn't stop reading her part last night.  She is a dietician and yoga instructor who has worked with a lot of WLS folks.  She covers a lot of technical info about food and how it all works for us after - including if you want to stop losing.  "Life After Gastric Bypass: 6 Steps to Ensure Your Weight Loss Success" - I got it on Amazon.com but your local library might have it or one the other brances and you can request it.

Keri
Pam Hart
on 8/20/08 12:18 am - Easton, PA
I had this "problem" as well.  At my 9 mos visit I was 138 was told to get down to 128 (I had wanted to be at 135)  Within one week I dropped down to 129 and was terrified.  But then, for some reason - I bounced back up to 130-133 and I have been there for about a month now.

I can tell you that the NUT at barix told me at my one year appointment (or when I hit goal) we would discuss maintenance.  She asked that if I got to goal before my 1 year appointment to call them immediately and they would teach me over the phone.  I do know that they DECREASE your protein when you are maintaining - but I don't know what else they do.

I would definately call. 

The clothes thing - it's surreal, isn't?  I to am in a 4 now - and actually have a few pairs of skirts/jeans that are a size 2.  It's ridiculous in my opinion - but amazing at the same time.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
J. M.
on 8/20/08 9:57 pm
This concerns me as well. I'm not looking to lose anymore weight, but I'm still dropping. I cant seem to figure it out.

I guess you body will end up where it wants to, but remember to fuel it with healthy foods.

Sorry I dont have answers....Im not sure anyone really knows???

~ Jen   

Christine C.
on 8/20/08 10:32 pm - Port Deposit, MD
So last night at the support group meeting when I realized that we weren't going to get the opportunity to discuss this topic I spoke with the nutritionist directly ... here is what I was told to start doing:

Add more carbs to my meals (crackers, 1/2 english muffin with breakfast, cheese, etc)

Increase meal size (at 8 months I should be consuming 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup each "meal")

I was NOT to lower my protein intake (I had read that on some of the boards)

She said to do these things for a few weeks and see if it helps.  I have my checkup at the end of September so I told her I would give it until then and talk to them again during my visit if it wasn't working.  I did hold steady at 126 for today so that brought a smile to my face  lol

She did agree that adding the weights to my routine would help with the "number" ... but I definitely want to STOP the loss ... not just "hide" the number.

Hope this helps Jen (and anyone else in our shoes!!) ... I will post if I find out any additional suggestions on this topic   :)

Thanks everyone!!
Christine

Pam Hart
on 8/21/08 10:15 am - Easton, PA
Goes to show you that once again every nut is different at barix because I was already told to decrease my protein when I hit goal.....

glad you got some answers, though!!!

I will definately be speaking to them again in October at my year visit - or sooner if I drop much more.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shannon O.
on 8/21/08 3:06 am - Reading, PA
The nuts at barix told me that once I hit my goal I need to eat 1459 calories a day... you need to talk to them!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views