food addict

Barbara H.
on 8/19/08 10:07 am - Selinsgrove, PA

Hi
I had gastric bypass surgery almost 5 years ago.  I was a food addict then and I still am.  The problem is that I have been back to my addictive eating ways and I have gained back 45 lbs in the last 2 years.  I don't see myself getting control.   Is there a special place on this site for food addicts?  Is anyone else suffering from this horrible affliction-I feel like such a failure and so alone.
Barb

Nicole0216
on 8/19/08 11:20 am - Lancaster, PA
Barb

First I am so glad you are here posting and asking for help. GOOD JOB. Second you are not a failure you have taken a detour. ALL experiences are valuable even this one. Third,. please know that your tool is still there and you can take back control. You need to do several things. All addicts use their drug of choice to medicate themselves, you need to find out why and what you are medicating. You can do this in many ways. You can attend OA meetings if you feel you would benefit from a 12 step environment. You can attend a support group for post ops. If you are not already in therapy I highly recommend that you get there because you cant do this alone. I know this from first hand experience. I am a psychotherapist and even I cant do this without support and YES therapy. I would also suggest a book that may help you retrain your brain around the food. It is called the Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. It is not a diet it is a 6 week program of daily excercises to help you get emotionally aware and ready to handle the emotional eating. Please dont despair and please dont give up. come here and we will help if we can but in the end you need to do this.
Dennis Belk
on 8/19/08 2:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Barb,
Nicole's advice is so complete and I highly recommend you look into every facet. I am a food addict and many of us are. I won't lose this addictive behavior but I have found ways to manage it, live with it and not lose to it like in the past. It is a daily challenge and I understand that and battle it one day at a time. Take Nicole's advice and do not look to fix yourself all by yourself. It takes help and the help is out there. You do have the power and the tool to get back on track. It can all start today. There is an addiction forum on the site but it is very general and is open to many categories as well as mental health issues, but you still may find it helpful. You started your road back by recognizing the detour, you should applaud that and take the next positive steps. 
All the best to you,

Dennis 
Pam Hart
on 8/19/08 6:29 pm - Easton, PA
I think many of us, myself included, consider ourselves food addicts.

I used (and still do at times sadly enough) food to celebrate, to help with emotional anguish, to "elevate" my mood when I am depressed - you name an event or an emotion, I can name a food to go with it.

Nicole and Dennis' advice is very well put.

There is a "5 day pouch test" which brings you back to the basics - starting with liquids only for days 1 and 2 to get you feeling your pouch and remember where you came from.

I agree that you are not a failure - remember where you started 5 years ago and how far you have come.  Those 45 pounds came off once upon a time, and they can again.  It will take your re dedication to a healtheir life style - but it can happen.

You can feel free to come here whenever - and I suggest often.  I don't have support groups in my area that I attend regularly and getting to the Barix meeting (where I had surgery) is increasingly difficult due to schedules, gas prices, and distances (I live in NJ, 1 1/2 hours from there) but I post here and post reply's often so that I use it as my "daily" support group.

The people here are wonderful and caring and will help you in wherever you might need it.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 8/19/08 11:04 pm - PA
Barb,

I applaud you for posting!  I haven't had surgery yet (7 days!!!) but that is one of the  most important steps, being conscious that you need to change what's happening.  You CAN gain control.  Everyone who posted before me is absolutely right, all of those suggestion should definitely be explored by you.  The one I found life changing was Dr. Beck's book.  I haven't even had surgery yet but I am working the six week program - not a diet - it's a way to get ready for the life change.  It's geared towards "diets" not WLS folks but that is not important because ultimately it's about getting to know you.  The you who eats - the when, they why and the secrets.  I am blown away by how each day I do a new "task" and I see and understand more about my eating patterns.  This book sets you up to feel like you (because really you are) are in control.  Again, I support all the recommendations posted thus far but this one has a special place in my heart.  Got it and the workbook from Amazon.com.  Keep coming back and posting.

Keri
jojobear98
on 8/19/08 11:39 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I am so glad you posted on here. I am 4 years post -op, have gained some weight back and have gotten way off path with my eating habits. But am embarassed that I have let myself gain weight....if that makes any sense.

I was too afraid to post and ask for help or suggestions because it seems everyone on here is on track, and is doing so well.

So thank you for having the courage to ask for help because you may think it is for your benefit, but just know that you have now helped me realize I am not alone and that there are ways to get back to things!

Thank you!
Barbara H.
on 8/20/08 9:15 am - Selinsgrove, PA
I want to thank everyone *****plied to my post.   Today I ordered Judith Beck's book plus 2 other ones on food addiction.  A special thanks to Jodi.  Does the lack of replies from people experiencing some weight  gain mean that we are the only two-I don't think so but it sure would be wonderful if that was the case!!!
jojobear98
on 8/21/08 12:16 am - Gettysburg, PA
You are welcome, I am just glad I am not alone in this small battle...........I am hoping to pick this book up on Saturday. I hope it gives me some insight.

Good luck and keep in touch about your progress and struggles.
Nicole0216
on 8/20/08 10:08 am - Lancaster, PA
Barbara I dont think you will regret the purchase. I am kicking around doing a Beck group here on this board for those who want to. This is something I have done in my private practice but would be willing to facilittate on this board for free.

My sister is 5 years out and she has gained 45 lbs back, She takes responsibility for it. She eats sugar, does not get enough water or protein and she drinks a bit much alcohol.

I am not far enough yet for rebound weight gain which i hear happens alot. I am still losing. But i would doubt you are alone.
keri2008
on 8/20/08 10:54 pm - PA
You have done Beck groups?????  Are they available around????

Keri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views