Today is my 3 yr surgiversary

eclipse1021
on 8/18/08 5:35 pm - Williamstown, NJ

On the day of my surgery 3 years ago, I had no idea what to expect.  I was hopeful, but had no idea of what I would look like in my new skin.  I was a little nervous about my decision, but so anxious to get it over with and embark on a new life.....and what a ride it has been. 

My weight came off pretty quick in the beginning, and I started to feel like this was going to be the easiest thing I've ever done.  Until.....

By my one year anniversary, I was only about 30 pounds from goal.  I was dating a few guys, and I was feeling really comfortable in my skin.  A month later, I met my current boyfriend, and 5 months after that I got pregnant.  Needless to say, here I am, 3 years post op with a family of my own and a 20 pound re-gain.

I have decided not to beat myself up anymore about re-gaining some weight back, but instead, make the commitment to REMEMBER how I felt on August 19, 2005 when I walked into Barix, and when I walked out 2 days later with my new life in MY hands. 

I'm too proud of how far I've come, and I still remember too vividly what life was like before my WLS.  I won't go back.  My vow today, on my 3 year anniversary, is to look back at the last 3 years and realize that I achieved something that I never thought I could.  I will look back and remember how far a 130 pound weight loss seemed to me then, and remind myself that even with a re-gain, I'm still more than half way there! 

dit657
on 8/18/08 9:47 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on your 3 year surgiversary - what a wonderful accomplishment!! I would say after all you've been thru a 20 lb re-gain isn't all that bad - baby and all. You know what it took to get there - and you know how to work your tool. I wish you all the best!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
keri2008
on 8/18/08 9:55 pm - PA
I may not have had my surgery yet so I can't empathize with some of your story but WOW, congratulations on being 3 years out!  The surgery was a tool and you used it to get much healthier than you were when you started.  Celebrate that, it's an incredible accomplishment and I for one am so happy for you!  Just get back to the basics and you'll be where you desire to be - thanks for being an inspiration!

Regards,
Keri
bubble273
on 8/18/08 9:57 pm - Levittown, PA
Congratulations!!!  You've done so well.  And like Kathy said, don't beat yourself up over your weight gain.  Your tool is still there and if you make the committment to work that tool, you will drop those pounds in no time.  Try doing the 5-day pouch test.  It might get you back on the track to getting those extra pounds off.

Congrats again!!

Karen

GD_007
on 8/18/08 10:07 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
ok - newbie question,  what's the 5-day pouch test? 
-GD
bubble273
on 8/19/08 6:01 am - Levittown, PA
Hey GD,

The 5-day pouch test is something for when you're further out and are at a stall maybe or you haven't lost weight in a while.  It basically brings you back to basics of right after surgery.  Day one is all liquids and maybe day two and then you move onto pureed foods and soft foods and so on.  It just gets you back to where you started.  You can actually Google it and it should come up.  Hope this answers your question.

Karen

GD_007
on 8/18/08 10:10 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey congrats!!  Like all have said, you've come so far and please don't underestimate the fact that your story inspires people like me.

Keep up the great work!
-GD
Shannon O.
on 8/18/08 10:39 pm - Reading, PA
congrats... and you can hit your goal weight! You have taken the big step of recommiting yourself to losing the weight... so find a gym and work that tool out... doing the 5 day pouch test is a good one to do!

New_Beginnings_36
on 8/18/08 10:42 pm - PA
Congrats and Happy 3 year Surgiversary!!
You have much to be proud of....keep up the great work!

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
Nicole0216
on 8/18/08 11:13 pm - Lancaster, PA
good for you. you can totaly still hit your goal weight the tool does not go away. you just have to use it
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views