clarifying

Shan08
on 8/16/08 3:24 am - the Skook, PA
I guess I should have sorted through my own thoughts & been more specific.
Ya know how u are the first week out... like "OMG I'm SO NERVOUS to even TRY this"... "I'm so nervous to even move my body in that way (pain)."  "WHAT IF it's this awful for the rest of my life... completely lacking quality of life?" 

I have a 10 inch long insicion on my stomach (open procedure) that makes everything I attempt to do psysically a PAINFUL HASSEL.  I sufferered from major stomach spasms the entire 1st day.  THANK GOD they have subsided. 

Now, I also get that blahh indegestion feeling just when I think I'm doing good on the intake thing and/or feeling a slight bit better.  I have to remember that I am less than a week out of major open surgery... I tend to forget and try to push myself, getting very sick of relying on people for help with even the most basic stuff.

When a person is overwhelmed emotionally, and physically, it's easy to lose sight of (or imagine) ANYthing getting easier or better in the future (near & far).

I was very dperessed at the moment of writing that post... throwing around the fear of "holy ****t what if I shouldn't have gotten the surgery?"

I just came to this support board for a little pick-me-up... ya know,... support.

As I've been told you all still "obsess" about your intake and such... I meant only to ask if the "obsess" is the same fear-filled 'obsess' I am experiencing right after surgery.

Thanks to the kind people *****plied truly trying to offer support.

I did call my Dr office... said to try something with less sugar.  Hubby found a decent protein mix at GNC.  Still makes me feel YUCK when I try... myabe I'm trying to drink too much too fast?  I suppose these are things I will have to learn as I go.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
jdruski
on 8/16/08 6:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Shannon

As a fellow "open" surgery, you are going to take longer to heal.  But do try to keep positive, I know that is easier said then done when you feel like crap.  You will get through this.  I was 51 , and 460 lbs. at my surgery.  They drilled me for lap and then the doc changed his mind and went open.  I went through the whole gamut of emotions.  I even threatened to sell the dog so that I could get an order of cheesy bread from Pizza Hut, lol. 

People say take it one day at a time, in your case take it one sip, step, minute at a time.  IT WILL GET BETTER.  You will be up and running before you know it and you will be giving another newbie your story to help them get through.

Feel better.

Jeanne
Shan08
on 8/16/08 6:41 am - the Skook, PA

Patricia R.
on 8/16/08 11:15 am - Perry, MI
I had open two years ago, and it sucked at times to feel helpless, and to have the pain when I moved any particular way.  It does get better.  You will get through this.  Try to take it one hour at a time, and make sure you are making each hour count, sip, walk, rest, etc.  Make sure you are taking your pain meds and not lifting anything heavy, something I kept forgetting.  My mom was here staying with me, and she had to keep yelling at me at times.

Keep trying different protein drinks till you find one you like.  I like Isopure Grape Frost, at GNC.  It tastes like grape Kool Aid and has 45 grams of protein in a bottle.  I also like AnyWhey powder which I mix with yogurt, milk and fruit to make a smoothie, OR, just mix with Carnation No Sugar Added Instant Breakfast and milk.  AnyWhey is flavorless, and is easy to mix into anything.

Keep focused on your dream.  Keep your eyes on the prize, your new body, healthy, slimmer, and you with more energy.  It will happen. 

Cry on our shoulders when you need to, and share your victories too.  We have all been through the rough parts in the beginning and understand completely.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Shan08
on 8/16/08 10:20 pm - the Skook, PA
Hiya Trish,
THANKS A BUNCH!!!  I'm taking note of those mixes right now.

You're an inspiration to me.
Patricia R.
on 8/16/08 10:56 pm - Perry, MI
I forgot to mention that the a scoop of Anywhey has 17 grams of protein, so mixed with 8 ounces of fat free milk, and either the yogurt or the instant breakfast it has about 30 grams of protein in a shake. 

Have a super day.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

pilotadelcielo
on 8/16/08 1:26 pm - PA
Hi Shannon,
I'm new to the PA board.  Been hanging around the national board for months and found that this one seems a little more friendly.  I also had an open RNY.  My PCP is good with analogies.  He said it was like recovering from a shotgun blast to the gut.  Without a doubt, it's a major surgery and we can't compare our recovery to the LAP proceedure.  It will be more difficult and take longer, but the day will come when you will be thankful you made your courageous decision to have the surgery and it will be here before you know it.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Everyone of us had to deal with the major biochemical, emotional and physical adjustments our bodys had to go through post surgery, especially when it's open.   Fear is part of the recovery because it's new and a little scarey coming from where we all came from.  As you move from 'liquid' to 'prueed'  to more solid foods you will gain confidence in this new way of life.  Every day I share with my wife a new tidbit or major revalation I picked up on the message board.  I need to check it out daily.  If you follow the post surgical instructions from your surgeon and stay close to the office support team you will do just fine like thousands of those who went before us.   Four months out today and looking forward to the future.
Blessings,
Ron
Shan08
on 8/16/08 10:18 pm - the Skook, PA
Hi Ron,
Thanks sooo much.
What a GREAT response

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views