Do I Have the Right??????

NoMoMeatball
on 8/15/08 4:59 pm

It's been three years since I entered Barix with the hopes and dreams of someday being "normal". It took almost a year to to get my sugars under control with the hope of not being a type 2 diabetic. I counted the days until I could get my feet into "grown-up shoes". I visualized being able to run in a race, climb up stairs without holding on, and wearing a pair of shorts. Well, for me these things did not happen. I am still diabetic. I can only wear sneakers with my support stockings. Stairs are my nemisis and wearing shorts is still only a dream. So the question remains. Do I have a right to celebrate my third surgiversary? I didn't celebrate my first year out or my second. I didn't feel I had the right to celebrate a job not well done. While nothing has changed from the previous 2 years, I feel that I should give myself a break here. I am down 105 pounds, and while not near goal, I have been around my current weight for the past 2 years. My tool works. There is no doubt, and for that I am grateful. My hair continues to not want to remain on my head and my hernia(the alien within) is still growing, yet I am grateful to wear a smaller size and not have people stare when I walk in a room. My mom still wants to know when I will lose more weight and I don't have an answer. But, do I have the right to celebrate the fact that I chose to try and change for the better? This year my answer is YES!!!

Michele S.
on 8/15/08 9:33 pm
Celebrate!! As I read you question I saw many reasons for celebration.  First you got your sugars under control (Yeah)  My family has several diabetics and that is a feat in its self!! secondly you lost 105 lbs.  Great!!  I am impressed with what you have accomplished.  I think we all are so obsessd at times with reaching our goals (which are very important) that we forget to celebrate the small steps that lead us to those goals.   My friend keeps telling me "clelbrate the small stuff"  Every 5-10 lbs or change in how clothes are fitting or just getting through a day on track  she insists on a "HooHa" and truthfully without all the little "HooHa"'s and encouragement along the way I am not sure I will ever reach the goals I have set for myself.  CONGRATULATIONS on everything you have accomplished and being able to continue to maintain it!  Hope everything continues to improve, one step at a time.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
Patricia R.
on 8/15/08 10:10 pm - Perry, MI
I understand your hesitation in celebrating, as I am coming up on two years and have not reached my goal weight yet, but instead went back to old behaviors and gained 20 pounds back.  I was even going to postpone my appointment with my surgeon.  I was encouraged by the wonderful people here to go to my appointment and just get back on track.  So, I intend to celebrate. 

There are a lot of reasons to celebrate.  You have lost a considerable amount of weight.  You are not the same size you were when you started your journey.  You are alive.  You have hope of losing more still. 

I have not been in attendance much at the Barix post-op meetings, due to a lot of reasons, and will be out of town this week for the meeting.  Go to it if you can.  I will be there in September. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 8/15/08 10:32 pm - Easton, PA
I'm glad your answer is yes.  Part of this is seeing what HAS changed (like 105 pounds gone!!)  And the fact that you realize your tool still does work - those are worth celebrating.  And perhaps celebrating you are alive - because without those 105 pounds gone - and possibly more in the past three years creeping up - who knows what could have happened.

I can't help but wonder about your hair comment though....have you been tested for a thyroid disorder?  That is a tell tale sign of a thyroid function problem - and if your thyroid is underactive - with medication correction you could see some drop in weight as it is part of the metabolism process.

Congrats on your 3 years - and celebrate the day away!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dennis Belk
on 8/16/08 4:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Nancy,
You have always had every right to celebrate. It began when you decided to do something over 3 years ago. You made the decision and you've been progresing ever since. Your good feelings on how you have done may fail you from time to time but the progress counts, always. The fix, your fix is in, and it must continue. It's the hardest thing to feel good about going on with this and other struggles day by day, but we must. We must because we've seen what happens when we don't. We don't like it and it is what brought you to your surgery decision 3 years ago. Attaining more of your goals may take a little longer, but they will still happen as long as you want them and understand that we celebrate you and your life. Try not to get lost in this journey. Try to remember that many who have done well, have done it with plenty of help. I am a testimony to that. That is the way it was meant to be. When you go off by yourself it's a lot harder to do well. You are never alone in this journey. Come back to us, come back to our meetings, receive support and provide support, and continue to attain your goals. That is the formula for successing,

I hope to see you next Wednesday night,

Dennis  
NoMoMeatball
on 8/16/08 4:03 pm
Michele, Trish, Pam, and Dennis- Thank you so much for your replies to my post. I did celebrate my third year out. My husband and I even talked about it together. I know that I tend to drag myself down with negative thoughts, but I really just needed to clear my head. Pam- I've been taking Synthroid for about 18 years. My diabetes doctor told me the hair loss was from stress. Well that helped. Again thank you for your support. It meant so much to me.
Nancy C.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views