Yom Kippur

sbrunell
on 8/15/08 1:54 am - Bensalem, PA
Anyone out there Jewish

I am asking well in advance, in case I forget.

but....
On Yom Kippur, you are not permitted to eat or drink from Sundown on Oct 8th to Sundown Oct 9th.

However, some people are not permitted to fast. Children, pregnant women, and the "sick" are not permitted to fast.

Sick includes all health issues.

Am I allowed to fast since having my RNY. My gut tells me no, especially since I can't even have water, but thought I would check w/ you guys. I also asked Dr. Pupkova on email..since I have time to wait for an answer.

Thanks,
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Liz R.
on 8/15/08 3:14 am - Easton, PA
Well I am not Jewish but I would say that fasting is not a good idea. Since in the fall sundown is what like 6pm and sunrise is about 7am. I am sure that one night would not hurt you food wise but you definately shouldn't go withou****er.

Just the 2 cents of a catholic girl...
sbrunell
on 8/15/08 3:17 am - Bensalem, PA
Actually Liz, you missed it..It's sundown to sundown....
so 6pm to 6pm- no food or water.
24 hrs.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/15/08 5:26 am
Depending on how religious you are, the rule is whatever your doctor says is necessary.  However, if I were to disect the different levels of abstension, I would say, no music, no television, no shopping, no handling money, no cutting, no entertainment.  If you must eat or drink then just the minimum.  Others say that if you break the fast, you are not keeping with the holiday, however, I feel that you do the best you can do.  Shalom.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

~GetnBack2Me ~
on 8/15/08 6:11 am - York Haven, PA
When I had surgery, Yom Kippur was 4 months down the line...I am Jewish, and I feel that you do the best you can do..GOD isnt going to condem you because you couldn't do 100% fasting....

Jen

emimomsm.jpg Emi and Momma image by Imdamomma  momelism.jpg Eli N Momma image by Imdamomma

Nicole0216
on 8/15/08 6:30 am - Lancaster, PA
I am not jewish but I would not think that God would want you to do anything that would jeapardize your health. So you will have to decide what is right for you.
Patricia R.
on 8/15/08 10:18 pm - Perry, MI
I am not Jewish, but I would just encourage you to protect your health and do your best with the food fasting aspect of the Holy Day.  I have a deep level of faith in God and believe that God looks at our hearts more than our behavior or observation of the Law. 

Blessings,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 8/15/08 10:34 pm - Easton, PA
You could PM boston Lisa on this one.

I too am not Jewish (seems to be a recurrent theme of the responses)

I would say definately do NOT go without fluids.  One day of no protein won't kill ya - so if you want to stick with jus****er - that should be fine in my humble opinion.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
BlancheJackson
on 8/16/08 12:59 am - Butler, PA
One of my best friends is Jewish and has had the surgery.  I believe that she abstains from food, but has protein drinks...water, etc... as we CANNOT go 24 hours withou****er and protein is our most important intake.

Blanche Jackson    352/314/258.6/180  

magenta40
on 8/17/08 12:30 am - PA
Steve, I am Jewish and I remember my mother drinking water during Yom Kippur otherwise she would get migraines.  Just do what you can without harming yourself. 

Abby

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views