eating out sucks

ladychief231
on 8/15/08 1:06 am - Douglassville, PA

Hi all,

Just need to gripe for a little today. Yesterday was my birthday and I really didn’t want to eat out because it’s such a waste of money and I end up being disappointed but I gave in. Last night was no exception to the disappointment. I ordered a shrimp dish and it looked beautiful, smelled nice, but it tasted horrible. I had an issue with the texture of the shrimp and it just doesn’t taste good. In addition to the taste I take a few bites and I’m full which is a good thing…it’s just not fun or cost effective to eat out right now. On the positive side I didn’t get the foamies which used to spoil my eating out attempts early on.

Moving forward I just need to stick to my guns and resist eating out for a couple more months. BTW I’m 5 months pre-op.

On another positve note, I feel great physically and emotionally compared to many many previous birthdays.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

dit657
on 8/15/08 2:42 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hey Teresa, I've felt your pain. It does seem like such a waste to go out and then you can't eat much at all. I'm 6 months out and have just started eating shrimp because they can be chewy. I dreaded going out for a while too but now its much better - I know what I can tolerate and I've gotten over the food I don't eat or I just ask for a doggie bag. I normally can't eat leftovers but my husband can. So it will get better with time but I doubt you'll ever be able to sit down and eat a whole meal at a restaurant. I can get down about 1/2 burger (no bun) or the other night we went to Red Lobster - I had a few bites of salad, about 1/2 the mashed potatoes and I ordered the stuffed broiled flounder and they give you two pieces. I chose the smaller one and had that, and took the other one home. Hubby had it for lunch the next day.

Hang in there - and glad you're feeling so much better on this birthday than you did your last one - same for me! Last year I was 50 and FAT, FAT, FAT - this year I'm still fat but not as faf and I'm doing more and feeling 150% better.

Happy Birthday!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
oobiebus
on 8/15/08 3:49 am - pottstown, PA
Hey Teresa,I thought i was the only one who felt that way,Yes it seems like a chore doesnt it!a very expensive one to boot!i also dont do left overs but hubby (the human disposal he is can eat and not gain so he takes it with him for work so i guess its not to bad),I know if all else fails i just order a cup of soup if i cant figure what to eat!   Happy Belated Birthday! Hugs trish

My Angel is  Jeanne2036  

I Am Officially At Goal!Yippeeeeee

Shannon O.
on 8/15/08 5:51 am - Reading, PA
I feel the same way about eating out... but I did find a way to have fun with the family doing it... you don't live that far from me... but have you heard of The Works up here in Reading? I think their website is www.gearedforfun.com or it is www.gearforfun.com... well something like that... think of it as an adult chuck e. cheese. We went there for my sister's birthday. I ordered a steak... put over half away... but it was a lot of fun... there was a clown walking around making balloon animals and then in the back is all the games... and you get tickets for most of them like you do at chuck e cheese and then there is a bar upstairs... but since I don't drink didn't bother to go up and look... and I know they get bands in from time to time as well... so not sure if you have kids or not... but we had fun there... bowling, air hockey, skeet ball etc...

Nicole0216
on 8/15/08 6:35 am - Lancaster, PA
I used to feel that way too but around 10 mos It got easier and now I love it. Unfortunately, LOL
Pam Hart
on 8/15/08 9:58 am - Easton, PA
Eating out gets easier.

But early on, it just sucks!!  Early out I ordered a dinner and realized once I got it that I wasn't real hungry (granted I was never hungry), and that I took 2 bites and it wasn't sitting well (I was also having a prissy pouch day as I call them). Generally I take meals home and get 3 meals out of them (very  cost effective!) but this meal was one that wouldn't have reheated well so I didn't want to take it home.  The waitress was convinced something was wrong so she got her manager - all I said to both of them was "I am recovering from a surgery and just not eating much - the food is fine - I'm not!"  Well that didn't work so he brought over the manager of the store....he was concerned there was something wrong....we went through this with like 3 different people....my husband was laughing so hard and I was becoming more and more annoyed.  By the way - they ended up not charging me for the dinner.

But - don't worry - it does get easier and more enjoyable!!  There are times even now where I just order a cup of soup and am satisfied with that and have learned to enjoy my guests company more than the food.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 8/15/08 12:05 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
ummmmm......what are "the foamies"?
-GD
Pam Hart
on 8/16/08 12:26 am - Easton, PA
This is gonna be graphic.

Foamies.....blech!!

It's when something isn't sitting to well and all of the sudden you have a build of up fluid from seemingly no where.  It's this gross clear thick sputum that kind of "foams" up in the back of your throat which you normally end up dry heaving from and spitting a lot of it out.  When this happens to me - I also get a runny nose and watery eyes - so basically - I am spouting up water/spit from the neck up (very attractive picture, ain't it?)

You'll hear a lot of us talk about it from time to time.

It can also happen if you don't chew well enough and something gets stuck.

I for one, although have had violent dry heaving spells (think like over an hour of constant spasm and dry heaving) have never once thrown up after surgery.  Don't get me wrong - I wanted nothing more in the world to vomit - just to make it end - but once I eat something it is to never see the light of day again as per my pouch - so I've had quite a number of visits with the foamies.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 8/16/08 12:43 am - Drexel Hill, PA
OMG....i've not yet experienced that - granted I'm only 19 days post-op and still on Full Liquids.

From the sounds of it, it's not a milestone I look forward to hitting.

-GD
Gail M.
on 8/15/08 12:54 pm - Scranton, PA
Teresa,
   I hear what your saying.  Nothing tastes as good as it used to presurgery.  Shrimp tastes rubbery and dirty to me.  I think we should get  together and open a resturant with protein drinks and yogurts!!!  To tell you the truth, I actually love them!
Gail

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views