liquid or protein?

Shan08
on 8/14/08 9:37 pm - the Skook, PA
K, hi all... surgery was on Monday the 11th.  I'm still in a lot of pain.
I have been finding myself having problems with getting a lot of Slim Fast down.
I'm not getting anywhere NEAR 60mg of protein in.
Should I be worrying a bit more with just making sure I get liquids in... to stay hydrated??

Ok well my time in this position has come to an end.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Liz R.
on 8/14/08 9:51 pm - Easton, PA
Shannon - first of all slim fast has a lot of sugar in it from what I Remember - try getting a different protein, maybe a whey protein. Also if you are mixing it with milk try water or soy milk, many of us have problems with dairy after surgery. Fluids are most important make sure to keep sipping water! You don't want to get dehydrated. In the very beginning I was drinking it one tablespoon at a time, and yes I would drink it off the spoon. You can also try things like chicken broth or beef broth - both are good sources of protein and  fluids.

Best of luck and remember to sip and walk!

Liz
ldillabough
on 8/15/08 10:23 am - Burlington, NJ
Shannon,

Try the whey Nector protein by Syntrax.  I use the vanilla and chocolate.  I mix it with 8 oz. of skim milk and add four Ice cubes.  It gives you a total of 31g protein and 12 oz. of liquid.  You can add Sugar Free chocolate syrup, and Cool Whip Free to improve the taste.  Sugar free Ice pops are also good for adding to your liquids totals.  Fudgesicles come Sugar Free the 40 calorie ones only have 2g of sugar, one gives you 2g protein and 1.6 oz of liquid and they are really good.  Hope this helps some.  Good Luck!

Lisa
dit657
on 8/14/08 9:53 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Shannon - glad you're home from surgery and recovering - the pain will subside soon and you'll be feeling much better. Liz is right - Slim Fast may not be the best thing for you right now - check out some other protein drinks. Also make sure you're getting plenty of water - flavor it with lemon or crystal lite or something if you can't tolerate plain water right now - after surgery I found it disgusting but I got it down. They're not going to beat you up over not meeting your protein goals right now, but try to get as much in as possible.

Best of luck to you!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 8/14/08 10:13 pm - Easton, PA
Fluids are your first and foremost goal this early out (at least according to my surgeon)  It takes awhile to get everything in.

I to second the comment on the slim fast - most have way to many sugars and/or carbs.  Try different sources such as protein powders you can mix up yourself.  You may have to try different flavors and different "concoctions" if you will, before you find one you like.  there are also things like profect which is a vial with liquid with 25gm of protein in three ounces or new whey vials which have I believe 42gm in 3 ounces.  I don't like the flavor - but did use them early out in order to get the protein in.  It was about 3 swigs for me - and I treated it like "medicine"

Remember - decaf non carbonated liquids such as clear broth and what not count as fluids for the day, not jus****er.  If you add a small amount of protein powder to things (instead of using a scoop - use just a little and aim for two scoops total during the day) you will add your protein in pretty quickly.

One day at a time - this all does get easier!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 8/15/08 6:40 am - Lancaster, PA
What they all said. You have gotten some good advice. What i lived on was SF carnation instant breakfast mixed with milk and a scoop of protein powder. it was the only think I could tolerate,
*Jennifer Juniper*
on 8/15/08 7:14 am - Philly Girl, PA
I drink 3 cans of low carb slim fast a day to get my protein in because i could not get it in any other way. It only has one gram of sugar and 20 grams of protein in a serving. I drink half the can at a time. Slim fast does count as fluid according to my surgeon. Good luck!

"If you see a man on top of a mountain, he did not fall there"
Pam Hart
on 8/15/08 9:48 am - Easton, PA
Thanks for the info Jennifer!!  Good things to learn!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
simonsmom
on 8/18/08 12:50 pm - Coraopolis, PA
Someone mentioned the protein "bullets"...either the Profect or New Whey. I love using them. I add one to some crystal light and add some ice. I prefer the New Whey since they have the 42 gram version.

I'd have to look at the Slim Fast stats...I don't remember them being too healthy, but they could have changed their formula.

It's great that you are trying to get the protein in. Just remember that you are very early out, and healing and getting fluids in are your first priority. Obviously, if protein can be included, all the better!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views