recipe sought

sbrunell
on 8/13/08 1:33 am - Bensalem, PA
hello all,

In my fatter days, we used to make some fantastic meatballs in the crockpot.
We used to put a sauce of  grape jelly and chili sauce.

I am trying to make it work for our new diet.....

However, i will have to make my own Chili sauce and figured I would ask if anyone might have a recipe...but a quick one...I know it's mostly ketchup (i have the low sugar one).

I also switched to turkey meatballs, and we have the SF grape jelly on hand.

Even if it gives me trouble...the kids will still eat it.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Shannon O.
on 8/13/08 1:41 am, edited 8/13/08 1:42 am - Reading, PA
Here is an easy one... just use fat free mayo-
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/fried-onion-rings-with-chili-sauce-recipe/index.html

Chili Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons chili sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

To make the chili sauce, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, chili powder, and cayenne in a small bowl and stir well. Cover and chill until serving time.

And here is another one- http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/tomato-chili-sauce-recipe/index.html

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1/2 small jalapeno, stemmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
2 cups white vinegar

In a medium nonreactive saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute. Add the jalapeno, remaining spices and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Pour the mixture into a sterilized 1 quart canning jar. Process the jar according to basic canning procedures. Can be used the next day or will keep for up to 1 month under refrigeration.

And here is this one-
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/red-chili-sauce-recipe/index.html

3 ounces (about 15) dried New Mexican red chilies (available at some specialty foods shops and by mail from The Chile Shop, 109 Eas****er Street, Sante Fe, NM 87501, Tel. 505-983-6080), stemmed and seeded (wear rubber gloves)
1 large onion, halved
1 large garlic clove
6 cups water

In a large saucepan simmer the chilies, onion, and garlic in the water for 20 minutes. Transfer half the chilies, onion, and garlic with tongs to a blender, add 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid, and puree the mixture until it is smooth. Force the puree through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the solids with a spoon. Repeat the procedure with the remaining chilies and 3/4 cup of the remaining cooking liquid, stir in salt to taste, and discard the remaining cooking liquid. The sauce may be made 2 weeks in advance and kept covered and chilled.

dawgpound215
on 8/13/08 6:44 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
grape jelly and chili sauce??????

sbrunell
on 8/13/08 7:32 am - Bensalem, PA

come on dawg, try it, you might like it.  Remember those commercials for Life cereal????

anyway....anyone have one w/o Mayo...the one i buy in the store is mostly ketchup and is red. 

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Shannon O.
on 8/14/08 3:07 am - Reading, PA
if you looked through the rest of that... there are 2 more recipes... lol...

cleos_mom
on 8/14/08 1:00 pm - phila., PA
if you didn't start yet try ground chicken it is really good I make meatballs out of it and put them in gravy and I like them and my family eats them and we are Italian so you know how importanta a meatball taste is to us.
I never liked the ground turkey. Shop rite has Perdue chicken patties and they are really good they are on sale this week for 1.61 a  1lb pkg
randies_baby
on 8/16/08 7:54 am
Hi,

Would you mind sharing your recipe?  I find it hard to find meatballs that I like.

Thanks,
Melissa

HW/SW/CW/GW  340/329.2/164.4/155 5'8 1/2" 32 yo
Memorial Day Challenge Goal: 158# (Not reached 164.4#)
Labor Day Goal:  155# (hoping for post-op swelling to be gone)
Extended Abdominoplasty and Brachioplasty: 03/25/10

cleos_mom
on 8/17/08 11:47 am - phila., PA
sure
 to every pound of ground chicken use
 2eggs
2 tbsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
salt & Pepper to taste
bread crumbs
1 tsp parsley flakes

mix all ingredients together, will look slushy, add bread crumbs until the mixture gets firm enough to roll into balls, roll into small balls keep your hands moist with water so they will roll easier

place olive oil in a pan and make real hot before you put your meat in and fry till golden brown

enjoy Susan
  I made some today and placed them in my tomatoe gray and we had spaghetti-  I use DREAMFIELDS pasta it only has 5gm net carbs per serving and it is low on the glycemic index, if you have trouble tolerating pasta , then try this one
randies_baby
on 8/18/08 2:26 am
Thanks !!

HW/SW/CW/GW  340/329.2/164.4/155 5'8 1/2" 32 yo
Memorial Day Challenge Goal: 158# (Not reached 164.4#)
Labor Day Goal:  155# (hoping for post-op swelling to be gone)
Extended Abdominoplasty and Brachioplasty: 03/25/10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views