Calcium supplements?

jastypes
on 8/13/08 12:11 am - Croydon, PA
What kind of calcium supplements are you taking; how many; and where do you get them?  I've been taking calcium consistently, but I'm not sure it's the right kind.  They are delicious though!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

sbrunell
on 8/13/08 12:38 am - Bensalem, PA
Since you have Dr. Pupkova, like me, I can tell you that she wants us to take Calcium Citrate.
However, it is hard to find.  The more popular and cheaper Calcium Carbonate is more available, however, it takes a lot of stomach acid to break down, and we don't have it.

I just started buying mine at Barix. I really like the cinnamon, but it sells out quickly. Unfortunately, they are bulky pills. I would call the NUTS at Barix and see if they have samples. I believe they have mint, cherry, and the cinnamon. 

I am taking only 1 tablet per day (400mg), because I am also taking two Flintstones (100mg each), and drink milk and eat cheese.

Hope I've helped.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/13/08 12:41 am
I use caltrate 600 mg +D twice a day along with a vitamin C to help it along. The C helps your body absorb it more, or so I've been told by other OHer's.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

jdruski
on 8/13/08 1:00 am - Philadelphia, PA

We don't absorb Calcium Carbonate fast enough for it to do any good.  I buy my Calcuim Citrate from Vitalady.  Because I take a lot of vits and min it helps to only have to take 3 of these per day.

I shoot for between 1500 -2000 mgs. per day per my nut.

Dont' take iron with the calcium.  Watch certain antibiotics and like Nan said, Vit. C. helps move everything along especially the iron. 

You are well over a year post op, how is your blood work turning out?  Have you had a bone density test?  I am dragging my feet on that one.

Jeanne

jastypes
on 8/13/08 1:04 am - Croydon, PA

I've been bad.  Somebody should probably kick my butt.  I haven't been back to my surgeon or my PCP since my 6 month visit.  I did see a gynecologist and have my BP checked though.  I know, I know, not good enough.  I was always bad about seeing doctors.  I hate taking time away from work that isn't vacation.  LOL. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jdruski
on 8/13/08 4:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
Jill,

You are not bad just enjoying your life.  But please, do take the supplements that they told you to take.  There are so many people who have had our surgery and ignore or don't take what they were told and they wind up so very sick.

Don't play around with your new altered self.  You want to be taking advantage of all your vacation time and enjoying it.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views