UTI???

kimmiep621
on 8/11/08 9:56 am
i've never had one before so not really sure if this is what i have or not.   all of sudden  i have to pee contstantly and when i do its not much there.  and it also hurts in what i believe is my bladder or something in there.     and now i have low grade fever 99.6. 

I do have dr appt w/my primary on wednesday morning at 11, i have to get my blood done and check my vitamins.    do you think i'll be ok to wait till wednesday and do you think its uti?   this sux.   i have been on water overload to help it and took few cranberry pills i got from my mom.   anything else that can be done w/out going to drs yet

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/08 10:12 am
Kim
It sounds like a UTI if you can hang in there till ednesday you will be ok if not call tomorrow. Morw then likey they will just give you some anti botics they will knmock it out of you.
Hang in there they can be a pain
Pam Hart
on 8/11/08 10:22 am - Easton, PA
Yea - sounds like a UTI

You can buy urinary analgesics at some drug stores.  The prescription name is "pyridium"  They will turn your urine orange - but will help the pain when you are going.

Playing nurse here....if the fever gets over 101 please go to the ER (if at night when doctors aren't open) or to your doctors asap if during the day when you can get there.  Generally speaking bladder infections or UTIs are just basically painful - but they can spread to your kidneys and play havock with your system.  Same thing goes for severe back pain, nausea, vomiting.  Also signs of a bad kidney infection.

The lots of water will help.  It will dilute the bacteria that is there - so it doesn't hurt as much when you pee (the bacteria is irritating the linings causing the pain) and also will add "extra" stuff so that you feel like you are peeing a more decent volume rather than just dribs and drabs.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
kimmiep621
on 8/11/08 10:28 am
ty pam,  now since i have this going on, will it effect my bloodwork about my vitamins, even more so if i take those pills that turn my pee orange?    

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)

Pam Hart
on 8/11/08 10:31 am - Easton, PA
If your doctor does a CBC with your counts (dr. pupkova does) it could possibly affect your WBCs, BUN, & Creatinine.  Not the pills - but the infection itself.  The infection can cause your WBC to be elevated (WBC = White Blood Cells.  They increase w/ infections cause they fight the infection) and your BUN/Creatinine is kidney function.  I doubt those would be affected - but I guess they could be if it is bad enough.  Either way - when you go for your blood work - mention it to the doctor and let them know so they aren't surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got put on an antibiotic like Levaquin....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
kimmiep621
on 8/11/08 10:37 am
oh i can't take levaquin,  i'm allergic to that one,  first time i took i got slight rash, 2nd time i took that last year i got horrible full body rash and hard to breath had to go to er.   but i'm sure he knows what else to try.

thanks again pam

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)

Pam Hart
on 8/11/08 11:14 am - Easton, PA
Absolutely they will know what else to try.

Oh - after I responded I looked at your surgeon (I forgot to do so before hand - DUH)  So if anything comes back abnormal - just let dr. p know you had a uti at the time to clarify any issues.

Pam
joldaker
on 8/12/08 5:25 am - West Bradford, PA

I called my doc when I had this problem and they said to come in the am with the nurse and they gave me cipro 250mg. Just call them, you may not need an appt.

Jen

Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
evrblue
on 8/12/08 10:51 am - McConnellsburg, PA
For some reason I am prone to UTI's. They are a pain. I would go to the doc just in case.

Xtra water and cranberry juice is good for UTI, I've never used the cranberry capsules. If you don't like straight cranberry you can try the blends. I like cran-grape.

Be careful and wear old undies and a panti-liner if you take the pyridium, it will turn your pee and anything else your pee comes in contact with Orange, and it stains. Also I found using Vagisil medicated wipes helps with the burning sensation after you go pee. These are individually wrapped so you can just put them in your bag.

I hope you feel better real soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views