To have or have not.....

auntweezie
on 8/10/08 8:41 am - PA
I began researching WLS in 2003. I still have not had surgery. I went to a weight loss health institute paying $18,000 for a month. I lost 27 lbs in a month then 47 but have gained lots back.
I was unable to get into Barix after having a consultation with Dr,. Brader as the schedule was packed. I also belong to 2 gyms. My question is this... the NUT as well as personal trainer at my gym responded with the following comments when I told her I am finally following thru with WLS: "Ooooo my niece had it and uh well she is not doing that great. In fact many people end up in nursing homes. You have to get to the root cause of your stress eating." When I heard this , I was disappointed with the "nusing hime thing." Anyone have any idea what this woman was talking about?
Thansk for your support and hopefully, one day, I'll be on the other side of this horrible disease of obesity.
Thanks --
Loweeze
Liz R.
on 8/10/08 9:37 pm - Easton, PA
Miss Loweeze... if you are the same lady I am thinking... that has been to my support groups at Doylestown Hospital (I think that it is - if not sorry!) I know how hard it can be to hear the negative comments by others - but then step back and look at everyone on this board - What would you say, a couple hundred people? I haven't heard of 1 person dying or ending up in a nursing home. You also don't know the story of these people - did they try and eat steak a week post op and cause themselves terrible harm? Did they not follow the rules? There are many factors.

Quite frankly this was THE best decision of my life - I only wish that I had done it sooner!

I am here if you need anything - LIz

PS we now meet the third thursday of the month - 6PM Conference Room A - this is next week. love to see you there if you can make it!

Liz
CherylT
on 8/10/08 10:57 pm - Perkasie, PA
Three days before my surgery, a lady I know came up to me in the supermarket and started exclaiming how her best friend died two days after hers and how she has been so worried about me since she found out I'm having it done.

I tried not to let it freak me out. I knew that my surgeon and Barix are the best and I trusted them, and this lady was quite the nutball and rude for coming up to me like that and doing that.

Ready4 AChange
on 8/10/08 11:10 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Sounds like you need a new trainer ! You have to weigh the pros and cons. Make a list. What can you do now and what would you like to do ? I knew the risks when I signed up . I figured if I kept up what I was doing I was just signing my own death warrant anyway  . Granted I did have an infection after surgery which put me back in the hospital for a week but each day I would say " this time next year will be different" and it was. I feel so much better now than I did . I think alot of the "problems" you hear about are people that have had existing problems or haven't been following doctors orders.
You may want to think up a nifty response to people that give you negative comments. "Thanks for the info but I am doing this for myself not anyone else"
Just my feeling.
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

auntweezie
on 8/11/08 12:04 am - PA
Thanks to all *****sponded. Your words are comforting and reassuring. I am not worried about the complicatrions with surgery as I have had many surgeries with many complications and I survived. It is the eating right, not stress eating that worries me
And YES-- I am ignoring all the comments I hear........it is destructive to hear these comments. However, I understand that the personal trainer is not educated about the disease of obesity and the surgery.

Thanks and LIZ.... you look great!! This time last year I was at HHInstitute , lost some 47 lbs. and am now regaining I look forward to seeing you soon.
God Bless.

Loweeze
BellaNell
on 8/10/08 11:06 am - Pleasant Mt., PA
 First of all, CHANGE GYMS!!!

I am personally insulted by that trainer.  Seriously, the bottom line is that YOU need to do your homework.  Read articles, talk to people who have had WLS.....please do not put much stock into the  horror stories.  Good luck on your journey!
auntweezie
on 8/11/08 12:17 am - PA
Thanks for taking the time to write back to me..... I have done my homework, have read, everything I can, talked to others , gone to support grp and where do these people come up with these things like "I'll end up in a nursing hoome." Yikes!!!  I have had so many surgeries and complications and recoevred so what is the worst thing that could happen. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

God Bless....
Pam Hart
on 8/10/08 11:14 am - Easton, PA
There are ALWAYS the risks with any surgery.  People develop complications.

You will find a whole lot of us on this board who are living and loving life and have not been admitted to nursing home due to this surgery.

Yes, there are always the risks of gaining weight after the surgery especially a year or two down the road.  I agree with their one statement that you DO need to get to the root of your stress eating habits.

This surgery is a tool.  It's a PHENOMENAL tool if you use it correctly.  You will probably go through some emotional changes early on.  Especially when life's little bump**** - you won't be able to console yourself in food.  And you will have to "feel" your emotions.

You also have to be willing to follow the rules.  You need to go through the eating "phases" after surgery, dedicate a lifetime of healthy eating, taking supplements every day, and making exercise a very important factor in your life.

I wouldn't change my decision for anything.  I love the way my tool is working for me right now - it's just a wonderful thing.  I am 9 1/2 mos out, down 103-106 pounds depending on the day.  My surgeon would like me to get to 128 pounds (weight) and currently I bounce between 129-132.  I am much happier, healtheir, and more active.  I am dedicated and am living life the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

You will hear lots of negative stories - especially from those uneducated at the process, surgery, and life style madate changes.  It will be YOUR responsibility to educate yourself and your peers if you choose to do so.

And although my view is biased - Barix is worth the wait regardless of how long that might be.  I am a nurse and can tell you the nursing care on their unit is second to none and their surgeons are fabulous as well.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 8/11/08 1:06 am - Easton, PA
WEll you have accomplished 2 of the very hardest things - 1 admitting that you know what the problem is and 2) admitting it to all of us!

Thanks!

You are a strong woman and can do this if it is what you really want! I am not going to tell you it is easy. This is hard work but it is SO worth it! I don't regret anything for a moment (no not even when I was in the ER with the ulcers - or battling them now!)

Hope to see you soon

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views