Barix Dr. Pupkova ... Is she your surgeon?

jdruski
on 8/10/08 6:39 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Nancy,

I am not a Barix baby but from what I hear she is one fabulous surgeon.  I chose to go to Pennsylvania hospital for my own personal reason but if I had known about Barix I would have gone there.

There are many people both male and female who have had her and there is nothing but positive, glowing reviews for this doctor.

I think your hubby is in good hands.

Jeanne
jovigirl
on 8/10/08 7:08 am - washington, NJ
NAncy,Your hubby is in wonderfully talented hands with Dr P. I chose Barix(not because they brainwashed me & plied me with koolaid lol) but because of Dr P. I met her at her old practice,chickened out on wls but kept track of her during the 2 years that followed & after I mustered the courage up went to see her @ Barix & the rest is history.And the staff there is wonderful & noone ever makes you feel like the fattylike so many medical people can do at a "regular"hospital

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

lauraanne715
on 8/10/08 8:17 am - Pottstown, PA
Hi Nancy!

Your hubby is in excellent hands...Dr P is AWESOME!!  I thoroughly researched her and her credentials before surgery and let me tell you she knows her stuff and she CARES about her patients!! She is phenomenal and the staff and facility at Barix is top of the line!  Barix is a premier leader in WLS and they take care of you every step of the way.  I can not say enough good things about the Staff and Dr. P!! 

Much luv!!
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

dawgpound215
on 8/10/08 8:44 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
Barix is a premier leader in WLS and they take care of you every step of the way.  I can not say enough good things about the Staff and Dr. P!! 

Much luv!!
Laura

......the preceding paid advertisement was sponsered by.....BARIX CLINICS, come and taste the KoolAid.   Can someone tell me the secret handshake or what the mantra chant is???
lauraanne715
on 8/10/08 8:57 am - Pottstown, PA
NOOO..."Not one of us...not one of us!!!!!" LOL

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

sbrunell
on 8/10/08 9:47 am - Bensalem, PA
Here is what I really love about Dr. P. Her "babies" all have her personal cell phone number.  She  encourages all her patients to call if they are having any troubles, and she means it. My wife waited a few days w/ an issue before calling, and Dr. P. asked why it took her so long to call. She means it.  All my other drs have a paging service, and if I am luckly they call me back same day! 

I've heard great things about the other Barix drs, but I recommend Dr. to everyone I know!
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

cleos_mom
on 8/10/08 10:09 am - phila., PA
I Had Dr. P in June 07. I can't say enough good things about her she is wonderful. What Dr. gives you their cell # to call and if you have a problem or just a concern she really does want to hear from you. I recently met with her for my 1 year follow up and she was just so caring & concerned just like I had surgery yesterday. she does not forget about you after your 6wk check up she stays with you for as long as you want her to
Susan
Pam Hart
on 8/10/08 11:06 am - Easton, PA
Nancy,

Another Dr. P fan here.  I had surgery in October of last year - just about 9 1/2 mos ago.

Dr. P has been wonderful to me and I can't say enough good things about her.  As others as mentioned, she gives her personal cell phone out on discharge and EXPECTS you to use it if there are any issues at any time.

After discharge, she called me two days afterwards to check on me.  I actually was feeling great that day and was out most of the day (not doing to much but spending time with my family and wandered around a craft show)  By the time I got home that evening, she had left me 3 messages on my phone, the last one saying she didn't care what time of night I called her, but she was getting more and more concerned I wasn't answering the phone.

I also had a mild issue post op last month.  I developed some abdominal pain and some nausea.  I ended up calling her to ask her opinion.  She sent me to my local ER (I live 1 1/2 hours away from Barix but traveled there for my surgery)  She called the ER to check on me.  The ER found a mild bowel obstruction and she had me transferred to barix via ambulance and had an OR team on standby that entire time until I got to Barix and she could examine me herself.  Luckily - the obstruction had already resolved itself and I was fine.  She was at Barix when I got there late that night (10pm) and was BACK at Barix by 7am the next morning to check on me again.  I was dishcharged early that morning (about 10am).  She again called me within 24 hours of being discharged, and then a few days after that to make sure I was doing well.  She had given me prescriptions for some outpatient testing - and called me with the results as soon as she got them.

The barix meetings are a great place to start - and as a supporter you are more than welcome to attend with your husband.  Barix pre op is ALWAYS the second Tuesday of each month, and some post ops attend as well.  Meeting starts at 7p.  Barix post op is ALWAYS the third Wednesday of the month.  Topics here are geared towards post op patients and we do talk about complications at some times so it might be a little scary to hear - but pre ops have come before.  Again, at 7p.  Both meetings are held in the Barix lobby.

Best of luck to both of you!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Laureen S.
on 8/11/08 1:58 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Nancy,

Your husband is in the hands of a very skilled surgeon, as well as a wonderful facility that is geared towards the best possible care in WLS!  As someone nicely put it, we're a sort of "cult" on here (the PA Board), many of us having had our surgery in Barix by one of the fine surgeons that are there, though there are many fine surgeons out there, I would go with Dr. P and Barix again if I had to do it over. 

I personally had Dr. P in mid-October of 07, she is wonderful, and when she gives you her own personal cell phone number to use for any questions, she means it, no matter the time of day, she is totally committed to her patients.

I wish your husband an easy transistion to the "Loser's Bench" and I seriously doubt he will regret his decision to go with Dr. P and Barix.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

joldaker
on 8/11/08 2:36 am - West Bradford, PA
Dr. P was my surgeon and I totally love her. She is the most compasionate person I have ever met. If I had to go back and change my mind I would have chosen her again and again and again. I told her at my last visit that if she told me I had to do the surgery again I would do it in a new york minute.

He has made the right decision, and being nervous is completely normal.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views