PC problems

retta0426
on 8/8/08 11:32 am - Middletown, PA
After telling my son numerous times NOT to download any programs that will allow him to watch movies on my computer, I found out he did anyhow. Now every few minutes a popup comes up saying I need to run an Antivirus09 program because I have spyware and numerous viruses on my pc. I've tried uploading other programs to get rid of them, nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?? I really can't afford to get a new computer right now, nor can I afford to take it to a shop to fix. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pam Hart
on 8/8/08 8:42 pm - Easton, PA
Try deleting all your cookies as well.  The virus is stored in your cookies and most anti virus programs don't delete it from there.  We had problems with this.

In order to completely delete all that:

Control Panel
Internet options
Under Browsing History (under the "general" tab) click on "delete"
That will bring up a new window
Click on "Delete all"

This will delete all your cookies, browsing history, saved passwords, etc.  Be aware - you will need to log into all your normal sites and also will not have access to recently viewed webpages.  So if there are webpages you don't know your password to - I would suggest getting them first so you have them.

Then run your antivirus program again.

Good luck.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/08 1:11 pm
I use Ad-Aware.  You can download a free version on line.  It has always worked well for me. 

HG
CherylT
on 8/9/08 11:35 pm - Perkasie, PA
Kids can drive you batty. I can't wait till my 19 year old goes back to college in a couple weeks before I am certifiable. lol. I use Spy Sweeper by Webroot. It's cheaper than Norton and McAfee and did the job better for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views