Whey Protein HATES me!

jackie j
on 8/9/08 11:24 am - Glenmoore, PA
Whey comes in different forms.   Whey protein concentrate.   Whey protein isolate.  and probably some others but these are the two you will see most often in food.   You want the ISOLATE version.  It is the purest form of Whey and least likely to cause a reaction, best absorbed and broken down in our systems.   Whey protein concentrate is just that, CONCENTRATED AND ANYTHING CONCENTRATED IS GOING TO HIT YOUR SYSTEM HARD AND FAST.  I.E., tomato concentrate causes folks problems too.   It's not that we can't have natural tomato sauces, it's that we can't have concentrated tomato pastes/sauces.   That said...you CAN be allergic to Whey (in all forms), not likely if you can tolerate cottage cheese or ricotta or yogurts as it's in all of those too-- in which case you switch to soy protein powders.   If you are really allergic, you'll feel like a bloated balloon in your face, fingers, you'll swell like in any allergic reaction.  We don't eat enough to cause throat swelling but we did have one woman on the board have a reaction scare her enough to go to ER.   I am allergic to WPC but I can tolerate the Isolate just fine.  I had to check the labels for all milk/cheese products in the beginning but I narrowed down that it was only the WPC that gave me a reaction and I narrowed down which products didn't have that high in the ingredient list and just stayed away from those; just another thing I had to check labels for.

Next, you might also be lactose intolerant this early out (even if you weren't pre-surg).   I couldn't do anything but 1% milk or Chocolate mil****il 2 mos. out.  (fatfree gave me the same explosive probs as 2%, go figure but 1% was fine).   I couldn't gag down Profect right at the beginning; now it's my supplement of choice for taste, consistency and quickness.   Their are other tubes now they didn't have when I started and I haven't tried those since I'm happy w/Profect.  Your tastes will continue to change so never rule out something for another future go-round.  Your system will go through weekly adjustments until about 2.5 months then you'll see a big settlilng down.  Good Luck!
lizziebug
on 8/11/08 3:52 am - Bristol, PA
I called the Doctor P & she gave me some alternative means of protein.
Thank you for all the info!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views