Whey Protein HATES me!

lizziebug
on 8/8/08 6:31 pm - Bristol, PA
Does Whey protein make anyone else sick? lots of gas & siting on the toilet? I know this sounds gross but I don't know what to do. I don't want to get dehydrated & I don't want to lose my hair. I think I'm going to GNC today to buy a few of the little tube protein things I heard they help some people. Oh well..
If anyone has input on this please let me know!
Thank you in advance!
Pam Hart
on 8/8/08 8:30 pm - Easton, PA
You'll have to experiment to find which protein powders work for you.  It can be challenging to say the least.  Sometimes to much protein has a laxative effect on people.  It could also be just your system evening out after the surgery - and you might be able to tolerate it in a week or two.  Try different protein powders, try different shakes.  Are you making them with milk?  It might be the milk as well - some don't do well with milk after surgery.

Good luck on your expermintation. Remember - don't stock up on ANYTHING early out.  Something you can handle today you might not be able to tomorrow (or tonight for that matter!)

Early out don't stress all that much about protein.  Definately try to get it in - but understand it may take awhile before you are hitting your protein goals.  Concentrate on fluids.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lizziebug
on 8/11/08 3:55 am - Bristol, PA
HI PAM,
I tried some more but they didnt work. I called DR P & she opened my diet a little so I could get the protein I needed.
Thank you!
kimmiep621
on 8/9/08 12:16 am

i used all water in my shakes, milk did that to me. but the first few weeks i lived off the bullets,  you can add them to your crystal lite or sf kool aid to cover the taste,    i couldn't stomach all the protien shakes.     i hope you can find someting you tolerate you will need it,  just keep drinking water and such.   good luck

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

lizziebug
on 8/11/08 3:59 am - Bristol, PA
Yea the first protein shake I had was with milk. so I had to rule out milk, sugar substitute & thats when I found it was the protein. I talked to DR P & I think we found a working alternative.
Thank you!
GD_007
on 8/9/08 1:42 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Liz,

Sorry to hear you're having issue with Whey Protein.  The vials are also Whey but at least it's only 3 ounces.  I was using the 3oz vials for about the first week post surgery (looks like we're just a week apart).  Even I got tired of the "Fruit Punch" 42g 3.1oz liquid....  Now that I am on the Full Liquid Phase I've found that the receipies on the book are actually not that bad.  The only downside is that it takes an hour or so for me to finish one of the shakes (26-29g protein) but it tastes awesome.  My personal favorite is the Chocolate Peanut Butter one.

I'm also having an issue keeping up with the water volumes.  My wife bought the sugar free flavors to add to a regular 16.9oz (500ml) Dasani bottle and I love them.  Our kitchen countertop looks like something between a chemistry lab and a childrens rainbow painting station :)

As well - before you go to GNC check out these websites - maybe you can save some cash:
* http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/ids-new-whey_liquid_protein.h tm
* http://www.profect.com/

Good luck and kind regards,
-GD
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/gd_007/

lizziebug
on 8/11/08 4:03 am - Bristol, PA
Hehe my kitchen looks about the same right about now. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it!
dawgpound215
on 8/9/08 1:57 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
Perhaps an alternative would be to look for protein powders derived from SOY......maybe you have some intolerance to dairy ? I dont personally but I thought this might be an option ......good luck!
lizziebug
on 8/11/08 4:04 am - Bristol, PA
Thank you for the suggestion!
Gail M.
on 8/9/08 1:59 am - Scranton, PA
Liz,
   I find this WLS to be a funny issue.  One day I will have a protein shake and I love it.  The next day I have a bad reaction to it.  Go figure!!!
   I buy sample packs of all different ones.  If you go on www.vitalady.com you will find sample packets of different ones for $1.99 ea.  I'm almost 4mo out and I still have a protein shake daily. 
  Good luck!
Gail

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views