Sip, walk and rest

tanya72100
on 8/7/08 2:58 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
OK,.. So i know they all say... sip, sip, sip, walk walk walk and rest. But how much walking and resting were doing at first. I dont want to over do it. But i dont want to not walk as much as i should afterwards. HELP!!!

dit657
on 8/7/08 3:13 am - Boothwyn, PA
Your surgeon and/or the nurses will tell you how much of both they want you to do - they're all different, but they should have you up and walking fairly soon after surgery - and don't think you'll be doing a marathon or anything!! It will be slow-going at first, but it will feel better each time you get up and move. I was on a pain pump (like most patients) but it was just too strong and I didn't want to leave the bed, so the surgeon took me off that and prescribed pain meds by mouth when needed and I did soooo much better after that. I was very fortunate that I had very little pain. But moving will definitely help move that gas out of your system, which is what you want, because that can become extremely painful thru your body if you don't release it.

They'll have you sucking on wet sponges the first day then sipping the next - take it slow - don't make yourself sick. Your body is going to tell you if you're doing to much of anything.

Relax - breathe deep - I know this is very exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time, but if you trust your surgeon and know you're ready for this then all you have to do now is wait for your date.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
tanya72100
on 8/7/08 4:42 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
it sounds like the process after my c sections..  Im worrying about it when im sitting at work with nothing to do.. NOW!!. lol

Laureen S.
on 8/7/08 4:49 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Tanya,

Exactly like the process after C-Sections, of which I had 3, the more you move, the more the gas moves out of your abdomen and into the free air (lol), in other words less pressure and pain on your innards!  My experience was out of the hospital on Thr., by Sunday I had overdone things, because I felt so good, so that kind of put me back to resting more on Mon and Tues.  We are all different, but I think those of us who've had any kind of surgery before (more particularly abdominal) get through this very well.

Good luck, you'll be with us on the Loser's Bench real soon now. . .  Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 8/7/08 4:30 pm - Perry, MI

Hi Tanya,
I was given a goal of 64 ounces of water, or non-caffeinated fluid a day, and walking as much as I could as often as I could.  In the hospital, they woke me every four hours for breathing and walking during the night, and I was up walking as often as I could.  The TV sucked at Barix, so walking was pretty much the only alternative.  Each time I walked, I went further than before, till I was doing laps.  At Barix they have two hallways that are kind of like a figure 8, so it was easy to lap it. 

If you overdo it, just drop back and rest, and start over again.  You will be amazed at how fast you feel better.  Plus, the walking gets you used to moving so you are ready to exercise when the doc gives you the green light.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 8/8/08 6:52 am - Easton, PA
Every surgeon is different.  I was asked to deep breathing exercises apon entering my room after surgery.  Every 15 mins for the first hour - then every 1/2 hour for two hours, then every hour for two hours and then at least every 3 hours if not more frequent.

I wasn't allowed out of bed for 4 hours after surgery - they were concerned I was still to groggy from anesthesia.

After that - it was at LEAST every 2 hours walking the halls at the hospital, but more frequently most of the time for me just because I was intent on being out of bed.  The breathing exercises and walking was around the clock - all night long too.

When I got home I made sure I walked at least every hour.  The only exception was my first night in my own bed.  Unlike most people, I had absolutely NO PROBLEM sleeping in my bed from the first night on (I did have problems getting OUT of bed as bending was hard and I didn't have the side rails to help me up, lol)  I took some pain meds before bed the first night home and slept for 10 hours straight.  I didn't mean to - I just did.  I guess two nights of not sleeping had caught up with me.

I started with just walking around my house - but quickly moved to outside.  First it was 5 mins to the end of my block and back.  And by the third day home I was doing probably 20-30 minute walks at least 3 times a day plus walking around my house.  When I was watching TV I would get up at every commercial break and walk the house until the show came back on.  Hubby was great as even when I wasn't feeling up to walking - he got me up and made me walk and I always felt better afterwards.

Listen to your body - but understand you will heal better the more you move.  My walks were SLOW at first and they kind of need to be - just as long as you are moving!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 8/8/08 7:28 am - Lancaster, PA
I walked almost every hour, Jason and I would get up and take a turn around the parking lot and I never had gas pain. Your body will tell you if it is too much.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views