Is it normal for me to feel hungry ??? Help me !!

hmalloy
on 8/6/08 8:21 am
I'm 1 week and 1 day out and I feel hungry somtimes... I really do not eat and I can't get all the protein in is that why ? I have been eating some sugar free pudding and chicken brooth. But sometimes I feel like I'm hungry ??? Also, how much is a normal amount to be eating at this time.. Please help with your imput !!
BellaNell
on 8/6/08 8:42 am - Pleasant Mt., PA
 Hi

In all likelihood, you are experiencing  "head hunger,"  a leftover from your 'old' life. When you feel it, up the allowable liquids, take a walk, do a craft--anything to take your mind off the supposed hunger.    Be sure to follow your surgeons recommendations about what you are to be eating now...every surgeon is different.   Good luck!
hmalloy
on 8/6/08 9:49 pm
Thank you, I will try that. I do think that because I'm not getting much protein at all that is why I get a hungry feeling about once or twice a day. When I do feel hungry I have not eaten for the day yet and eat a suga free pudding and I'm fine. I have not been able to eat a whole pudding is that normal?
Nicole0216
on 8/6/08 9:36 am - Lancaster, PA
Check yourself it could be head hunger. But it could be changes in blood sugar causing hunger. I remember pretty early out having feelings of hunger. You should be eating very minmal amounts at this time follow your doctors plan. Make sure you are getting enough protein because that can change some of the hunger feelings.
dit657
on 8/6/08 9:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
They're absolutely right - 'Head Hunger' - because we're so used to eating when and where and how much we want, now all of a sudden we're not eating anything and our heads are telling us we're missing out on something, even tho our bodies know we don't want anything. If that feeling comes up try to find something to divert your attention - get up and take a little walk - get up and get a glass of water to sip on - do something to take your mind off it for a few minutes and it will probably pass.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 8/6/08 10:41 pm - Easton, PA
I tend to agree it's more head hunger than physical hunger.  It may be your mental state also "knowing" you need to eat every few hours and just a cute little reminder from your body that you need to eat.

You probably can't eat much at this point - that is normal.  It takes a LONG time before you can eat any kind of "volume" and by volume I mean by about 1/2 a cup!  I'm 9 mos out and eat a decent amount - or so I thin****il I see someone who hasn't had surgery eat and I'm like "OMG....that is a ridiculous size portion" but I remember eating that plus some before surgery.

Follow your doctors plan - they know what they are talking about. Don't over stuff yourself - after surgery the nerves are severed that helps to signal full - so eat your allotted amount (or less) and make sure you eat slowly - don't want to damage anything while you are still healing.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
JbradleyGill
on 8/7/08 5:42 am
Hey don't I know you?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views