FAmily

Michele S.
on 8/6/08 8:17 am
Ok I am 8 days post op and doing very well.  I have discovered though that my family is at a loss.  They were not a part of the whole education process because they either live too far away or could not be because of conflicting work schedules.  Now it seems they are reluctant to ask questions, they don't want to upset me.  I understand that since I have been having mood swings alot lately.  My question is what resources are out there for the famlies?  I thought about them attending meetings but they have none around them that are for the famlies and would not feel comfortable attending alone anyhow.  Mom and Dad don't do the internet, which are the two areas I have been getting my informaion from, outside the docotors office.  Anyone have any suggestions?

PS thankyou to all thouse who do post.  This is the first I have had the courage to try this but I have learned a lot form others who post and have found it very helpful to know there are others who have or are going through the same thing! THANKS!
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
evrblue
on 8/6/08 9:10 am - McConnellsburg, PA
When I first approached my Family Doc with wanting WLS, he gave me a booklet with a DVD that went over the different surgeries available and the pros/cons of each. Ask your doc or surgeon if there is any written info such as this that you can copy and send to your family members to help them understand what you are going through.

I hope this helps~

Nicole0216
on 8/6/08 9:37 am - Lancaster, PA
I think this website is an excellent source of education and information. They can even come on the boards and post questions.
Michele S.
on 8/6/08 9:43 am
Thaks to both of you for you thoughts I will look into it!!

THANKS!!

411 / 210 / 200
Shannon O.
on 8/6/08 10:18 am - Reading, PA
I would do 2 things... and they will help you as well... start an online blog... so you can share with your friends and family your journey... 2 start an online food journal... it will also help you keep track of your meals but your workouts later on...

But both of these your family can activitly be a part of your day...

I would also send them here... and there is this mag (OH) and the other one... up... I think it is called WLS Living... both would be great for you and them...

But, if they are really scared they are going to hurt your feelings with their questions have them email them or write them down for you... so that way you and them can think before writing/talking about them...

But, I have just always passed on any info that I have learned I have shared it with them... because I didn't have any handouts or dvds to share with them...

Good Luck!!

Patricia R.
on 8/6/08 1:49 pm - Perry, MI
I have not read it, but a lot of people have recommended "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies."  It might prove useful.

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Liz R.
on 8/6/08 8:35 pm - Easton, PA
I agree - this site is great and I think that there is a section under "forums" for families. They are also welcome at support groups - or if you would like one of us to talk to them, I for one would be happy to do so, not sure where you are from.

Best of luck!

Liz
dit657
on 8/6/08 9:37 pm - Boothwyn, PA

Ginger, when I decided to start researching weight loss surgery I went right to the internet - there is so much information out there, and you seem to be internet savvy so you could probably find a lot of good information out there, print it and send it to your family. It is so important to share your life with them right now - at first my mother was very reluctant to talk about my surgery and what I would be going thru and she lives with me, but I kept talking about it to keep her informed and let her know that I was going to be okay - that I was NOT going to starve to death - and that even tho it was major surgery it was the best thing I could do for myself.

Now she's totally on board with what I've done and she understands everything from foamies to protein goals to eating slowly, etc. Your family probably isn't talking about it because they've either heard horror stories or are just afraid for you. You need to educate them as much as possible so they know you're doing this to become healthier and happier, and so when you are around them they're not trying to stuff food into you or berating you for not eating, etc., because trust me, if they don't understand they will absolutely do that.

I read a very good book that they might be able to find at a thrift shop or library - its called The Doctor's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery and its very good and I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck to you in your journey and in educating your family - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 8/6/08 10:50 pm - Easton, PA
I like the suggestion of having them write things down.  Maybe you could answer in letter form?  That way no hard feelings?  Or maybe YOU call THEM and start talking to them about everything and saying you feel like there's a lot of uncertainty about the surgery you had (which there is) and you would like to help explain things if you can.

The book "The emotional first aid kit" is a good book - and does focus on families in some of it too.   WLS for dummies was also pretty good.  I personally loved "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery"  It's mostly for the surgical patient - but explains EVERYTHING in so much detail, they might benefit from it.

Post here whenever you can - we always welcome new people with open arms!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Michele S.
on 8/7/08 10:08 am
Thaks for All the suggestions.  I will be trying them with my family and friends.  I am amazed how many questions my close frinds have had in two days, since I started talking aobut everything.

411 / 210 / 200
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views