Catheter??

Melanie B.
on 8/6/08 3:52 am - Doylestown, PA
wah...what's all this talk about a catheter? Please tell me they put it in after they knock you out. And when do they remove it?

anything else lovely I am unaware of that they do to you?

DebiMcK23
on 8/6/08 4:00 am - Aston, PA
Dr. Boe uses a catheter, Dr. P doesn't.  I am not sure about Dr. Marymore...  but I think he probably does use a Catheter.

They put it in when you are asleep, and they take it out 24 hours after surgery.  I did a few clicks of morphine before they took it out, and honestly it was a non event for me.

I was afraid of the cath also...  because with my c-section, they threatened to cath me again if I didn't pee within a certain amount of time, and I couldn't pee and I was freaked out...  LOL  but the nurses at Barix didn't time me or anything like that. 

303/197/153

Melanie B.
on 8/6/08 4:05 am - Doylestown, PA
i had a cath done when I was in labor with my daughter but I was in so much pain it didn't matter. I'm not so scared of the removal it's puttig it in that scares me a bit. I'm such a freaking whimp.

dit657
on 8/6/08 4:15 am - Boothwyn, PA
I'm a Dr Boe baby and yes, was cathed as well, but I've been cathed before - 3 major knee surgeries - cath's each time. I think you'd have to cause someone bodily harm if they tried to cath you while conscious!! I was out every time - actually with my knees I had spinals because of my weight and breathing concerns, but I was out of it, too, and never knew the caths were in until after surgery.

Having them removed really isn't painful - its a strange feeling, tho - like someone is pulling on your bladder, which is really what it is since they're pulling it out of your bladder - its just a weird sensation for about 30 seconds while they're doing it.

There is always a lot of prep for surgery - you know, IV's, stuff like that. But Barix is a wonderful place and you're in excellent hands up there - I know you're nervous but you have to trust in your decision and your doctor and know you're doing the right thing.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
LadyJwb
on 8/6/08 4:34 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello Melanie I had my surgery with Dr. Marymour and YES i had a catheter it was put in when i was knocked out and the nurse removed it on my 2nd day at the Barix and I push the Morphine pump before she pulled and I remember her saying take your meds before she removed it.

Patricia R.
on 8/6/08 4:38 am - Perry, MI
I am a Marymor baby, and I had a cath with my RNY and my hernia in December.  They insert it AFTER you are under.  No sweat.  My biggest fear was the IV, so once that was in, and they gave me good drugs, I didn't care what they did. 

Relax.  Talk about all your fears and get them out in the open.  We are here for you.  If you need to, PM me, and I will gladly send you my number if you want to talk.

Hugs,
trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/6/08 4:42 am - Perry, MI
I am a Marymor Baby, and had a cath with both my RNY and my hernia repair in December.  They put it in after they put you under.  No sweat.  Relax and breath.  Ask all your questions and talk about your fears.  We were all in your shoes at one time, and others got us through to the other side.

PM me if you would like my phone number.  I will gladly help you any way I can.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

evrblue
on 8/6/08 9:12 am, edited 8/6/08 9:20 am - McConnellsburg, PA
I have a problem with some narcotic meds shutting my urinary tract down, among other urinary tract issues. I have had a catheter inserted and removed while awake and it has never caused much pain, maybe just a "pinch" down there and once it's in you can't feel it. When it comes out, there is just pressure.

Because of my urinary tract problems I have actually been taught to "zap cath" myself. This is a short tube that you insert with lidocaine (numbing) lube and if you are successful you can empty your bladder with out having to go to the ER.
The only trouble I have with self-cath is sometimes it's hard to reach. If I try more than 3x and don't get results or I see blood I go to the ER.

So don't be scared. Dr. Gorman told me he's going to leave the foley cath in for a week after my WLS so I can be on meds as needed for pain without having to worry about not being able to pee.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views